• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prince Harry in Afghanistan

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Midshipman.

Senator James Webb's son has done an Iraq tour as a Marine as well. That just popped into my mind.

This contrasts with, say Mitt Romney's son, who when asked how he planned on serving his country, said that helping his dad get elected President was how he was serving.

I imagine that politicians are no worse than the rest of the population as far as their service records and those of their families, though.

It's been a long time since a President has had immediate family on active duty. Hopefully we'll see it come Jan 20.

Does Obama even have kids? If he does, he's kept them out of the limelight.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Just thought some of you might be interested to see that Prince Harry, 3rd in line to the British throne, is serving a tour in Afghanistan. Here is a link to the story on CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/28/prince.afghanistan/index.html

Enjoy!

I think people should boycott drudge.com now. the UK ministry of defense is now pulling prince harry out because of drudge. and he only was trying to do his job. just think of how much training he wasted- first as a tank commander, now as an air controller. poor harry. :(

i also don't understand why the UK is struggling with this issue so much. it's been traditional for kings and princes to go to battle- richard the lionhearted went to the crusades for years. even queen elizabeth joined the british army during world war 2. why is this such a big issue for them now? :shake_125

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mountbattenzm1.jpg

Talk about "service" and the Royals ... I found this fellow and his "career" fascinating when I was a boy.

Check out just the WW2 info if you're lookin' for the definition of "impressive". He had a destroyer shot out from under him @ Crete and just kept on comin' ...

Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As far as Prince Harry's concerned ... anyone willing to ride toward the sound of the guns has my respect.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suppose that's NOT a "win" in the GWOT???

Oh I dont know he called in a couple air strikes that killed 30 shitheads (according to one article) and is going home mustering all limbs and appendages I think the forces of good came out ahead in this one.
Must be tough leaving early though drawing fire pisses off those around you so there is that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh I dont know .... I think the forces of good came out ahead in this one....
True, as far as it goes, but that's not my point. Harry's certainly got my respect (reference my post, above) -- the question was directed at feckless politicians and bureaucrats, not soldiers.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
1. Supposedly the major news outlets that kept it a secret that Prince Harry was in the 'stan were bribed by the British with "special access" so their motives were not exactly pure.

2. I'm really divided on this issue... Unlike previous wars where royals fought, this is an unconventional war against terrorists so is it fair to Harry's mates to put an extra large target on their backs? Regardless, props to him for eagerly going downrange.