• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prince Harry in Afghanistan

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Harry was what Henry the Eighth's friends and family called him. He had red hair and a tendency to seek trouble, much like Prince Harry.

I suppose that war probably suits his temperament, but he's both a target and easy to spot.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I read this...I started thinking about the old far Side cartoon with the two bears viewed through a rifle scope: The first bear has a bullseye shaped birthmark on his chest...and the second bear is pointing at him.

SH-60OB

pilot
FC0836211499.JPG
5722.imgcache

Something like these

red_ryder

None
I bet the news leak had everything to do with his pulling out, since now he's not only Target No. One, but advertised to the world as such.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I wonder what it's like to get "cleared hot" from a Prince...
At least a couple of times last month when we were flying missions down south we spoke to British (or at least British-sounding) JTACs. I wonder...?

thull

Good on him for serving.. and better the news broke out on the coalition's side before it broke out on the enemy's side (assuming it hadn't yet).

schwarti

Contributor
He's home. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/01/prince.afghanistan/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

In another article (that I can't find again, of course) he was talking about how he wants to go back, and said something like, "Well, I don't like England that much anyway..." :eek:

Edit: Found it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7271408.stm

"I don't want to sit around Windsor, because I generally don't like England that much and it's nice to be away from all the press and the papers.

I get what he's trying to say, but still thought it was funny. :D

phrogpilot73

Watching those video clips makes me feel a little sorry for Harry. I get the vibe that he feels as though he's found his calling in the Army, only he can't fully pursue it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Watching those video clips makes me feel a little sorry for Harry..

I'm sure a few parties and sleeping with supermodels will help him get over the pain!:icon_tong

Maybe he has grown up. Good on him if he has. I just can't feel too sorry for a guy who's born into that much wealth, fame, and power without having to do anything to earn it. If I were to get philosophical, maybe that is something that weighs one down psychologically, but that's a little too deep for me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure a few parties and sleeping with supermodels will help him get over the pain!:icon_tong

Maybe he has grown up. Good on him if he has. I just can't feel too sorry for a guy who's born into that much wealth, fame, and power without having to do anything to earn it. If I were to get philosophical, maybe that is something that weighs one down psychologically, but that's a little too deep for me.
Yeah, well here's someone who despite being born into wealth/power etc., seems to be busting his ass to give back to his country and not take it for granted. Yet can't because of slimeballs like Drudge. Would that more of the rich and powerful were like that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, well here's someone who despite being born into wealth/power etc., seems to be busting his ass to give back to his country and not take it for granted. Yet can't because of slimeballs like Drudge. Would that more of the rich and powerful were like that.

I'm not saying I don't appreciate what he's done, just that I'm not going to spend much time worrying about his welfare.

I'd say that probably almost as many, percentage-wise, of the rich and powerful have sons and daughters who serve. It's just that the percentage of any group who serves today is tiny. The military is less than 1% of the population, after all.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not saying I don't appreciate what he's done, just that I'm not going to spend much time worrying about his welfare.

I'd say that probably almost as many, percentage-wise, of the rich and powerful have sons and daughters who serve. It's just that the percentage of any group who serves today is tiny. The military is less than 1% of the population, after all.
Good point. It's just easier to point fingers at the people who have everything.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The story was broke by a Austrlian woman's magazine and then a German magazine, read back some.

Drudge was the one who made it widely known though, the other two were not noticed widely by the rest of the world's press.