• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary out West?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Well what Yardstick was saying how Corpus does an occasional detachment out to New Mexico. If Corpus keeps doing it and it's working maybe the Navy would consider it. Obviously if they ever did decide to go out west it would be gradual maybe move one squadron out there and eventually move the others. I'm not talking about just up and move everybody at once.

So pay for 2 bases at a time? Essentially doubling the expense during the transition years? Because that makes sense. The Navy isn't going to leave Pensacola/Whiting just like the AF isn't going to leave Columbus or Del Rio. They don't have any real reason to do so.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why det to NM when you can go to El Sweato or Yuma? Never hear of a VT det to NM in my day.

scubasteve38

Why det to NM when you can go to El Sweato or Yuma? Never hear of a VT det to NM in my day.
I can see MCAS Miramar being a location to move Whiting aircraft when the F-35 comes into service for the Marines. They may consider basing the west coast JSF's at Yuma. Miramar is a good location cause you have desert out east or ocean out west.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I'd guess because T-34 training probably doesn't mix that well with fleet and FRS jets and range requirements. Either way, the NM det was common when I went through in 2008. I know that was probably many many years after yourself.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I can see MCAS Miramar being a location to move Whiting aircraft when the F-35 comes into service for the Marines. They may consider basing the west coast JSF's at Yuma. Miramar is a good location cause you have desert out east or ocean out west.

I'm sure the neighbors would prefer T-34's, but I'm also guessing the Marines aren't anywhere close to giving up that real estate. It is awesome for flying Hornets as you are 10 mins from El Centro, 20 from the Yuma ranges, 5 from the NAOPA, and maybe 10-15 from any of the commonly used W-291 papa areas........also just a 20-25 min flight up to R2508. Too valuable of a fleet base to give to the VTs IMHO. The Hornet isn't going anywhere for a long time, even after the F-35 arrives. You don't need good ranges to fly T-34 contact flights and BI's. Honestly, there is no good reason to move primary training from where it is. I know the primary studs here would probably like to live somewhere cooler than Milton or Corpus, but I really don't see that happening. Oh yeah, speaking of which, I can only imagine that the operational savings you might have from less time to train would easily be offset (if not more than offset) by the extra expense of paying people to live in SD. When I was a LTJG flying out of Miramar, I was making about $30 less than I made as a brand new LT in Oceana. Both of those places look like Manhattan in terms of living expenses when compared to anywhere you will live in the VT's.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Just stop posting and go sit in the corner.

scubasteve38

Just stop posting and go sit in the corner.

Sorry for posting an opinion, I don't care if you guys disagree but you don't have to be a dick. Does anybody who brings up any idea or whatever have to be belittled? Honestly I'm not complaining about being at Whiting, nor am I going to go up to Big Navy and say hey I think we should move everything. I don't see what is wrong with having a discussion about it since I'm always hearing how the weather around here sucks and is delaying flights or if some big hurricane were to come through and shut down operations like Ivan did. All I'm saying is that Miramar could be a possibility if they ever decided to do such a thing. It's a perfectly good base and you have areas where you can conduct training.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Sorry for posting an opinion, I don't care if you guys disagree but you don't have to be a dick.

Yes we do.

Get used to being shit on routinely for the first 3 years of your aviation career. The sting goes away after awhile.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Why is scubasteve discussing moving primary from Milton to California from 10 am to midnight while the mullet toss is going on?

Reactions: Rev

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Sorry for posting an opinion, I don't care if you guys disagree but you don't have to be a dick. Does anybody who brings up any idea or whatever have to be belittled? Honestly I'm not complaining about being at Whiting, nor am I going to go up to Big Navy and say hey I think we should move everything. I don't see what is wrong with having a discussion about it since I'm always hearing how the weather around here sucks and is delaying flights or if some big hurricane were to come through and shut down operations like Ivan did. All I'm saying is that Miramar could be a possibility if they ever decided to do such a thing. It's a perfectly good base and you have areas where you can conduct training.

We hear what you're saying, but as has been stated earlier, the cost savings of getting a few more X's and a bit faster time to train through the pipeline is miniscule in the face of the up front costs of moving the training bases, continuing costs to maintain training bases in higher cost of living areas, and even all of that is negligible compared to the massive amounts of institutional inertia and political capital that would oppose such a move.

Now, pretty please. . .with sugar on top. . .go sit in the fucking corner.