• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary alter syllabus?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I'm thinking that if it was me, (which it hopefully will be some day), I'd rather just take the extra flights than skip out on em.

Getting paid to fly anything is better than not, and from what it sounds like, it doesn't accelerate the training a whole lot anyways.

I'd just go with the flow, keep my mouth shut about my civi time, stay away from "well I learned it this way...isms", take the extra flights, and enjoy the extra time in TRACOM's with a few cold ones.

Course I could be off base here.

Bad idea.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I didn't mean disregarding it entirely, just not trying to flaunt it.

Don't want to be "that guy"

bad wording on my part

Gotcha. Well then that is a good plan, no need to flaunt it. Your instructors will know within the first few minutes of a flight that you have prior flight time. Being less than truthful when they ask you about flight time would be a bad idea. Also, if you do well, don't let kmac see your gradesheets. He'll review your entire ATJ and humble you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
It's a tough argument either way. I do know that we just had 3 students with a 59, 62, and 64 NSS finish up. The other students without flight time did not do as well. Is that statistically relevant? Absolutely not! We also had a student get attrited and he had well over 1,000 hours of flight time. There's no right answer on this one.

I simply say either a student has the it factor or they don't. If a stud has it and has 500 hours, he will do that much better. If he doesn't have it, even with 1000 hours, he won't make it. Some studs have it and have no prior flight time and do very good. So as you say, there is no right answer on this one. Though my last flight in VT-6 and the T-34C is tomorrow, I never flew with a kid who had enough flight time and experience where I could say, you should skip a few flights, you are good enough. Well except one but he was a prior NFO and it was like being back in the fleet when I flew with him. If you have fleet experince and have the ability to fly well, then I could see it. Otherwise, I don't see it. My .02 as a primary IP or soon to be former primary IP.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
A friend of mine from OCS had somewhere around 3,000 hours flying for regionals and never brought it up. As was said, his on-wing figured it out almost immediately and he told him about his flight time, but he always avoided bringing it up. I think he had the right humble attitude to relearn everything and he ended up with a 70 something NSS. And he wasn't accelerated...

The other guy I knew from OCS with alot of time I believe is the guy kmac said attrited. He had a bad attitude at OCS and I'm sure that carried over to primary. He always had a chip on his shoulder about his flight time.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the posts, Naval Aviation is clearly not taught in any single commercial, mutli syllabus or anything faa. This can easily be seen when you don?t fly over the field in a 172 at 300 knts and in an 80 degree bank, so I don?t plan to try and do much the way I would in one.

Main thing I?ll keep as a SNA is decision making and thought processes I learned from my dad when he was part of the statistics in his 20k+ hours when the shit hit the wall. Look forward to flying the Navy way and not mixing it much else.