• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Previous Experimental Drug use

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchul

Well other then being spineless by lying on your application about previous indescretions the secruity risk becomes that in other people know that you've have tried drugs. Later on life someone can blackmail an officer into secrets because said officer is fearful of the consequences.
Oh, and I'll hate you for it because I've never done drugs and feel that military shouldn't reward those who lie.

Dave Shutter

To actually answer RENEGADE's question, I don't know about NROTC but for OCS you fill out a form explaining your usage and then sign a statement declaring that drugs are bad and you'll never use them again. FYI: if you smoked an ounce a week for the first two years of college, that's a tad more than experimentation. One guy at our OPO tried that when I worked there. Anway, I'm sure ROTC will do something similiar. As for being honest, you'll get PT's for that, but will it detract from the overall strength of your app...what do you think? Again, this is OCS recruiting but I've seen people sign drug statements and get accepted. I imagine it's possible for ROTC, but you won't know until you try. I've met more than a few people who're of the mindset that "what they don't know can't hurt me", so you might be in good company if you choose to omit it. I've also met scores of people who take the honor, courage, commitment philosphy dead serious. The senior officers you'll report too the entire time you're in uniform will always fall into this latter group. I'd give this a lot of thought if I were you.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
you know, as long as you admit it and tell them how many years it has been, would they care that much? of course, you'll have to give a reason for doing it, but everyone's going to say "i wanted to try something new" or "by peer pressure", so i guess it's all up to the administration to decide if you're qualified or not... no?

btw, would they care if you said yes to being around the premises of drugs? i did (i know, i know, i'm a dumbass), but i just became so truthful lately... maybe it's b/c i confessed that one year at my church...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by perchul
Well other then being spineless by lying on your application about previous indescretions the secruity risk becomes that in other people know that you've have tried drugs. Later on life someone can blackmail an officer into secrets because said officer is fearful of the consequences.
Oh, and I'll hate you for it because I've never done drugs and feel that military shouldn't reward those who lie.

Do you have any idea how many service members have a prior history of drug use? It's a lot more than you probably think. Generally it will be more enlisted than officers, but there's certainly exceptions. I know that's not the complete point of your post, but just keep in mind things aren't as black and white as you'd like them to be.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i also remember about few months ago when they brought out a new system to detect LSD more than before b/c too many ppl in the service (it was navy in this article) were using it.

perchul

Gatordev, my problem isn't actually with the drug use its with lying about it to get through the process when they evaluate the drug use anyway. I realize it wasn't very clear in my post, I actually don't have a problem with people use drugs and stand behind them.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I never got a spinal tap for any physical (flight or otherwise) in the Navy. I had a friend that admitted to previous marijuana use on his application, it didn't affect his admission but the Navy did call his home and told his parents. Just letting you know that in case your parents got no idea that you've been anything besides the good little angel that they though you were. BTW, this was for the NROTC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Roger that, Perchul. Stupid antiquated communication.

Rare:
They called his parents? Well, if it was for ROTC, then he was probably still a minor, so I guess I can see that. Can you imagine, though if he was 25?
icon_smile.gif

enos5kh

C'mon, if Clinton can use weed and Bush can use cocaine isn't the military entitled to some liberties?
icon_smile.gif

jaerose

Barnard, I agree with you on this one! I think it's funny, too. "Experimental" drug use would be something like, "Hypothesis: Injecting a chimp with a cocaine, heroine and GHB solution will cause its heart to explode." "Day one: I created a suspension of heroine and cocaine and centrifuged it until it was completely dissolved in GHB." "Day two: At 12:00 noon I injected the chimpanzee (Mr. Giggles) with the solution." "Day two: at 12:04:36 'Mr. Giggles' collapsed due to a cardiac arrest." "Hypothesis proven." That, or testing the feasibility of fueling a rocket with marijuana would be "experimental." =)

JR

ripvanhinkle

Hey man, I was in your very same shoes a few years back. In the end I did admit to experimenting with marijuana one time. SO far it has not hindered my career in any way. I picked up a NROTC scholarship after my first year and went on to get selected for SNFO. MAny people do not admit to drug use and almost all get away with it. In the end it is really a personal decision.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Originally posted by gatordev
[br
Do you have any idea how many service members have a prior history of drug use? It's a lot more than you probably think. Generally it will be more enlisted than officers, but there's certainly exceptions. I know that's not the complete point of your post, but just keep in mind things aren't as black and white as you'd like them to be.

Yeah wasn't there a big drug bust at Camp Lejeune a few years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.