• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Previous Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerrLURP

I would like to second what HyperHypPilot said...OCS and PLC-Air is one of the best ways to become an aviator, mainly because you can get guaranteed a slot. At USNA it all depends on your class rank, and if you do poorly in your academics, which isn't hard to do, then you'll find yourself being assigned to some crappy transport ship hauling cargo around for 5 years.

But one of the great things about the Academy is that they are a "stand-alone" experience in themselves. Even if you get the crappiest duty station and the crappiest job, the whole Academy experience is truly unique and awesome, and you'll have that to look back on for the rest of your life and you'll be very thankful for it.

If anyone is considering the academy then these are things they need to know. I've met a few people who've gotten in (USNA, USAFA, and USMA) and you can tell they have no clue what they're in for. All you can do is wish them luck and shake your head when they're gone.

Rainman

pilot
I love it. Good solid debate. Hey moderator, what's the big deal. Nobody was kicking each other in the teeth?

As a reason to jump in and start a riot. . . .. .. FAR more than the Univeristy of Michigan and a few others use an "affirmative action" type system (depending on your definition) for admissions. Whether it's part of a point system or whatever. . . part of creating an enriching experience for all students.

Whether you agree or disagree . . it's there until the Supreme Court tells us otherwise.

Goodluck on your admissions fellas

Integer

Banned
Heh :)

<bows together with Herrlurp>

As a former admissions counselor wrote, if two people are compared who are borderline and one is a minority, then if the minority is better than, equal to, or only several steps below the points of the other guy, he is in.

The logic given on why USNA does affirmative action is NOT based on poverty or hardships like other schools give. The basic reason given for racial selection in the USNA in all the sources I have ever read is to increase the diversity of Officers so that enlisted, many of whom are non-white, know and see non-white Officers once in a while, which is a good thing for morale.

The problem with that is clearly that.. color is what is important and not whether that person actually had hardship, poverty, etc. But hey, it boosts morale, right?! Well, it also decreases accomplishments of the tons of outstanding minorities who beat out white candidates, as they of course do all the time, because everybody will consider they were some of those that got in because of color with disregard to hardships or family status.

Now I am not here to argue for or against this, I just shared the above to setup a question. If 8% of our Navy is FOREIGN BORN, should 8% of each class (100 people) be foreign born as well? Or maybe 15%? Having 15% of each class born in a different country just so that eventually the officer makeup fits with the enlisted makeup of foreign foreigners would actually MAKE MORE SENSE than affirmative action does right now. For one, there is probably 1 foreign born officer for every 1000 foreign born enlisted sailors. The status quo of this is worse than the ratio of minority officers to enlisted sailors, so the foreign born situation should have more priority, right?

Two, with 42% of all military foreigners serving in the Navy instead of another branch, there ARE a lot of foreigners. (By foreigners everywhere in this post I mean former foreigners btw.) About 70% of the foreign born lived in Latin America and the Carribean. So, 70% of 8%, or about 5% of all the servicemen in the Navy, are ARE NON-WHITE WHO WRITE AFRICAN AMERICAN OR ANOTHER RACE WHO DO NOT ACTUALLY SHARE ANYTHING IN COMMON WITH WHAT WE KNOW AS "MINORITIES".

So at the minimum, these 5% of the Navy would have a higher morale from BEING AROUND IMMIGRANT officers INSTEAD of around MINORITY officers, whether the IMMIGRANT officers are from europe or asia or africa. But the Navy probably just looks at the race card and says, "these are minorities, and we need minority officers" instead of the real messsage, that these are not minorities but are IMMIGRANTS who couldn't care less about minorities but who would have high morale if they knew immigrants were officers all the time. That's my third point.

So my second point was, if the Navy's reason for affirmative action is to bring equal representation of races compared to the way they make up the enlisted, then what about the 8% who are foreign born? Should 8% of each class be foreign born as well? Now you can see how ridiculous this all is getting, and how affirmative action is being applied with no clear cut goal or purpose. Basically, if you're going to have a goal of having an identical makeup to the service, then what about the foreign born and other qualities of people that group them? Why only RACE? And why is COLOR so important regardless of poverty or hardships, just b/c it will help enlisted to know that there are minority officers out there?

I am not for or against affirmative action. I just want to see what you guys feel and to spark some conversation! Thanks!

Rainman

pilot
let it all out brother. . .

Whether it's color, sex, size of village one comes from. . .admissions offices certainly go to great lengths for diversity especially at large universities. .

good luck

flyr534

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, I feel stupid for even reading that..... BOO HOO, system got the white man down, give me a break. What you really need to spend your time doing is studying or learning to fly, if you want to be a SNA, and not pulling a bunch of dumb numbers off the internet. You may be able to argue some race crap, but the fact is your opinion doesnt mean jack to the Navy. So take your efforts and apply them to something productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.