• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Presidential Valet

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my contemporaries at NAWDC was a presidential "Football" guy during a previous admin. He had lots of good things to say about the job in general, and it would certainly be fascinating to be that close to decision-makers at the level.
But the real question . . . did he actually have a CCW pocket in his SDBs, or is that an urban legend? :)

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
One of my contemporaries at NAWDC was a presidential "Football" guy during a previous admin. He had lots of good things to say about the job in general, and it would certainly be fascinating to be that close to decision-makers at the level.
I had a discussion with said individual in the ready room when one of his DH's was offered the job by the detailer. It does sound like a fascinating job. I can't imagine the kinds of conversations you overhear being that close to the President.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I had a discussion with said individual in the ready room when one of his DH's was offered the job by the detailer. It does sound like a fascinating job. I can't imagine the kinds of conversations you overhear being that close to the President.

I worked a command screening board where a pilot, who had been a WH mil aide, had a FITREP from POTUS that read something to the effect of "If Maj X doesn't get command of an operational squadron on his first look, have the Commandant come brief me."

??

From talking with a dude who did that tour, it's a ball buster.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked a command screening board where a pilot, who had been a WH mil aide, had a FITREP from POTUS that read something to the effect of "If Maj X doesn't get command of an operational squadron on his first look, have the Commandant come brief me."

??

I've seen a couple POTUS signed FITREPs with similar verbiage. All of the "big leagues" gigs in DC are ball busters, but that's the trade-off for getting that kind of exposure. Sometimes it's a grind when you're going through it, but in retrospect, it was worth it. That said, it took a toll on my relationships, and had I been married w/ kids, that impact would have been magnified.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

He was the smartest person in that whole building (the WH that is).....maybe even one of the smartest to ever enter the building. That man belongs in the jet for eternity, but if he had to pay the piper with a non-flying job, that would be the one. I slept well knowing he had the watch.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
He was the smartest person in that whole building (the WH that is).....maybe even one of the smartest to ever enter the building. That man belongs in the jet for eternity, but if he had to pay the piper with a non-flying job, that would be the one. I slept well knowing he had the watch.
Double pepper mill?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Double pepper mill?

Somewhat confused, but I think that is a reference to pepper grinding? I've got no skin in that game anymore as a quitter......but he was an old DH of mine, and taught me as much or more than anyone else in my life. If he doesn't make CNO, I'll quit again :)

exNavyOffRec

??

Reading this reminded me of a friend that went to work at Naval Reactors as a CPO, he would administer the written exams for prospective engineering officers, this guy was really sharp. He applied for LDO and had a LOR that said something to the effect of "He is a must select for LDO" signed by ADM Skip Bowman, the Director of Naval Reactors. I wonder how much discussion there was when they reviewed his LDO package on whether to select him, I mean when the ADM you work for says to select someone do you even think about not selecting him?

azguy

None
I want to say that some Navy 3/4-stars have a CS on staff as a personal valet. They do the dry cleaning, put together their uniforms, organize official dinners, etc. Knew a 3-star aide (OPNAV Staff) that said this was a thing.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I want to say that some Navy 3/4-stars have a CS on staff as a personal valet. They do the dry cleaning, put together their uniforms, organize official dinners, etc. Knew a 3-star aide (OPNAV Staff) that said this was a thing.

It's not just a CS. They have a couple, as well personal IT and ET types who handle the C4 systems for the admiral. I had an IT1 who worked for me who made first class in 7 years because he was SURFLANT's personal IT guy and literally taught the admiral how to use an iPhone. Then he went on an IA to Iraq and worked as some general's IT guy. Then returned to SURFLANT and taught the new admiral how to work Outlook. Suffice it to say, he had beaucoup NAMs and letters of commendation. Sadly, he had no idea how to run a division or work center and couldn't handle the stress of sea duty.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Somewhat confused, but I think that is a reference to pepper grinding? I've got no skin in that game anymore as a quitter......but he was an old DH of mine, and taught me as much or more than anyone else in my life. If he doesn't make CNO, I'll quit again :)

That reminds me of a reserve skid squadron that deployed to Iraq. A bunch of old dudes with a weird ecosystem of O-5's as sked writers and ODO's.

They had arm patches made up that said "I quit once, I'll do it again"

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's not just a CS. They have a couple, as well personal IT and ET types who handle the C4 systems for the admiral. I had an IT1 who worked for me who made first class in 7 years because he was SURFLANT's personal IT guy and literally taught the admiral how to use an iPhone. Then he went on an IA to Iraq and worked as some general's IT guy. Then returned to SURFLANT and taught the new admiral how to work Outlook. Suffice it to say, he had beaucoup NAMs and letters of commendation. Sadly, he had no idea how to run a division or work center and couldn't handle the stress of sea duty.
ani-12001.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That reminds me of a reserve skid squadron that deployed to Iraq. A bunch of old dudes with a weird ecosystem of O-5's as sked writers and ODO's.

The Shoes never knew what to do with us, especially on a FFG, when we'd first show up for a deployment/workup. A bunch of O4s, maybe one O3, and a revolving door of O5s that never really seemed to have any authority or responsibility except to manage the TV remote and gym hours.

exNavyOffRec

Unfortunately you see that more than you like in the nuke world, guys advance fast, don't really know how to lead, then comes the hate and discontent from the sailors, that leads to lots of people getting out, etc.......

taxi1

pilot
Was on similar. Bunch of old guys talking about eyeglass prescriptions, blood pressure meds, and back problems.