• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Presidential Valet

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Non commissioned officers (NCOs) are enlisted. In the Navy referred to as Petty Officers and Chief Petty Officers (CPOs). Commissioned officers do not serve refreshments are part of their job description. Check the web for a rank chart to help you understand the differance between NCOs and commissioned officers. It will make you smarter then most reporters.

exNavyOffRec

Almost certainly not.
Not to be a dick here however if the Admiral turns to his aide and ask for a coke/water/bag of chips I am sure he or she would get it for the Admiral, we had CNRC at our NRD years ago and I was talking with the CNRC at her hotel, she asked her aide to grab her a bottle of water before we left and the aide returned with the water. I am not saying normal everyday event, just that the answer is not "never happens/certainly not/not part of job/etc....".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be a dick here however if the Admiral turns to his aide and ask for a coke/water/bag of chips I am sure he or she would get it for the Admiral, we had CNRC at our NRD years ago and I was talking with the CNRC at her hotel, she asked her aide to grab her a bottle of water before we left and the aide returned with the water. I am not saying normal everyday event, just that the answer is not "never happens/certainly not/not part of job/etc....".
That sounds like something you would do for most anyone as a matter of graciousness and respect. Different then serving as a matter course, standing by just waiting for a request of service.

exNavyOffRec

That sounds like something you would do for most anyone as a matter of graciousness and respect. Different then serving as a matter course, standing by just waiting for a request of service.

I would agree, I would not expect a senior officer to have a JO at their disposal getting their drinks and food or anything else similar as part of their normal duties, as a courtesy when needed sure.

There are of course those very few that have used JO's for that, like Holly Graf, and the Reactor Officer on my first ship who decided he wanted a LT as his "Admin Officer", he was a prior enlisted sub nuke now a SWO-N. The RO in addition to real work had him get his meals, coffee, ice cream, sometimes had to take it to his cabin, etc........ in the end the LT's report of what the RO had done was the undoing of the RO.

D

Deleted member 24525

A GOFO doesn’t bring his enlisted aide to any social events, such an example would be where the principle might be in a receiving line. The officer aide most certainly would ensure that the GOFO and his spouse would have drinks. Said aide would also be on hand to produce a coin, or a business card, or to take note of anything important that the principle would want to relay, or have action on later.

Getting drinks at social functions, it’s almost part of the job.....but “serving” drinks? Like in the mess? hell no.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are of course those very few that have used JO's for that, like Holly Graf, and the Reactor Officer on my first ship who decided he wanted a LT as his "Admin Officer", he was a prior enlisted sub nuke now a SWO-N. The RO in addition to real work had him get his meals, coffee, ice cream, sometimes had to take it to his cabin, etc........ in the end the LT's report of what the RO had done was the undoing of the RO.
And as much as we may question their judgement from time to time, this is why the Navy has Inspectors General . . .

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Commissioned officers do not serve refreshments are part of their job description.

Fun story-

A few months ago I had the absolute pleasure of flying with VMGR-352. My current boss was their CO, and he's flying with them to maintain currency, so he allowed me to come along one day and get some seat time in the mighty Herc, in the name of Navy-Marine Corps integration.

Anyway, after a kickass flight providing fuel to some pointy nosers, we landed and boss took me to his squadron's after-hours room. It was a full bar complete with a keg, a fully stocked fridge, and plenty of hard alcohol. The standing rules there were, in order to open the bar, the CO or XO had to light the lamp, and the most junior pilot had to bartend. I shed a tear for stories of rooms like this in the Navy of old...I'm really glad I finally got to see one thanks to our YUT brethren.

Sorry to derail the thread.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Fun story-

A few months ago I had the absolute pleasure of flying with VMGR-352. My current boss was their CO, and he's flying with them to maintain currency, so he allowed me to come along one day and get some seat time in the mighty Herc, in the name of Navy-Marine Corps integration.

Anyway, after a kickass flight providing fuel to some pointy nosers, we landed and boss took me to his squadron's after-hours room. It was a full bar complete with a keg, a fully stocked fridge, and plenty of hard alcohol. The standing rules there were, in order to open the bar, the CO or XO had to light the lamp, and the most junior pilot had to bartend. I shed a tear for stories of rooms like this in the Navy of old...I'm really glad I finally got to see one thanks to our YUT brethren.

Sorry to derail the thread.
352 always flew to their own beat.