• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prescott ERAU (Riddle Grads, help!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob

"Hell, my Aerospace Engineering teacher flew F-4s, worked at the Pentagon, worked on the X-29, taught at the AF academy, and likes to go out with his buddies on the weekends and round up cattle."

I hope you aren't referring to Ashworth. Sorry to break it to you but that guy never flew an F-4. He sat in one and stared at the back of the pilot's helmet, but that is about it. He sure does like to make it sound like he was flying though, doesn't he. Ask him sometime.

I am a Junior AE student in PRC. I got all my ratings (through Comm. Multi. Inst.) at Sky School and am in the process of applying for the BDCP program. I've taken the ASTB and done MEPS. Hopefully my package will be complete in the next few weeks. I flew FA110 with Riddle and it had good points and bad points compared with the local FBO's. They definitely teach great procedures but really lack in other areas. Just dealing with the Riddle system is a pain and you have to follow their strict syllabus. I would definitely suggest an FBO on the field (it will cost about 7-8 grand less for a private ticket there).

As for stuff to do in PRC... I ride my gsxr 600 on some of the best twisties in America (located only a few miles from campus), rock climb, hike/camp a bit, fly, and play on the club lacrosse team. I don't drink, so I don't know about the whole bar/party side of PRC. Prescott really is a great place to be - don't listen to all that freshman negativity rolling around.

Riddle girls do have a certain attitude about them. That isn't an excuse to not break one into submission - it just takes a little more work. The guys not getting any action at ERAU are the same guys who probably wouldn't be getting action anywhere else.

Focus on AE, it is hard enough. If you plan on finishing in 4 years you will have to take a number of 18 credit semesters. The first semester or two isn't so bad, but it will get very time consuming. Try hard to get a 4.0 for the first two semesters. This will be the easiest time to get A's and it will make it hard to damage your gpa in the future.

Wink - What is your background? Do you recruit out of PHX? I am mostly in contact with Dave Harris down there. I look forward to meeting you at the career fair. Flying your plane into PRC would be no problem. Most years Riddle lets a couple Naval Aviators park their F/A-18's on their ramp, so they can probably make room for a Naval Aviator with a C170. Riddle does have a shuttle service and I am sure they will take great care of you if you let them know of your intentions ahead of time.

James Eads

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hang with the PHX guys a couple times a month and make most of the career fairs. I'm trying to be a fixture at the ASU Aero Tech program as that was my school and major. Not sure about flying yet but will be there in any case. See ya.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Originally posted by olpa9901
I'm not trying to start any flame wars buuuut.

Originally posted by Pap

2. Don’t worry about the STD’s. Its just like anywhere else in the world. If you ever have the opportunity, go for it, you would be retarded not to. Just make sure you cover yourself.

And people wonder whats wrong with america.

Hey man, I'm with you. It's just the way things are these days. For myself, I'm the big "V" and proud of it. I'll share that with one and only one woman for the rest of my life.

Rob_ERAU

Varun,
Whats up dude, you know when you'll be finished with advanced jet? By the way, Schwerd says whats up.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Okay, well here's an update. It turns out it isn't entirely bad here girl wise. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's pretty bad...but I met a cute girl in the Marine PLC program :)

Still gotta catch up with you, Rob. Seen the Jeep lately? I just got a sticker today and threw it on there...it says "FLY NAVY"

hah!

Rob_ERAU

HA HA, Yeah I know that girl. I guess she is alright looking, but... I'm getting Riddle vision... really bad! She is not yet in the program though. We just had a PFT yesterday and I didn't see her there. There are only eight of us in the PLC program and four out of the eight that have ground slots. Alot of people try to get in and they fail the ASTB first time and then quit from there. I'm glad I got that bastard test out of the way.
Yes In fact I did see the jeep, yesterday at Thumb BUTT dorms on the way to the gym for the PFT. I laughed at the sticker because I knew who it was! Cool Sticker though. Anyways, you might see me running every night around the school I pass alot of people, I'm sure will run in to each other one day or another. Until then take care.
Rob

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I've given up on fighting riddle vision. It's futile. I don't know her status or even really how PLC works. All I know is that she took some sort of PFT yesterday (morning?) and passed it. I don't know how, either. A couple days before the test she couldn't do the flexed arm hang thing that you guys are required to do...and then she passed it for the test. Don't know how the hell she did it, but I think she's just really driven. Makes me feel like a lazy ass in comparison.

Oh well, gotta hit the sack. See you 'round

Logan

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Hehe...I was trying to be funny. But I don't see anything wrong with the Marine girl, she's cute.

But I'm going back to LA for the weekend...maybe I'll feel different about everything on Monday after a visit to the beach...? *shrug*

Is living on a carrier for six months is going to be better or worse than riddle? Nimitz vision? Well, at least I'm being conditioned for it in advance.

Rob_ERAU

AH, come on Pap, at Riddle two months goes a long way. There was this chick walking in at Chartwells that I saw at the beginning of the year and I thought UGH, that chick is butt ugly and then I saw her yesterday in the mail area and I was thinking, So AH... whats up, doing anything tonight?
Yeah I guess that chick did go to the PFT. I went to the afternoon session but a buddy of mine told me she was there. The Marine chick, well, she is not very good looking. Logan after going back home you will probably come back a new man. But, hey... I got it good also this weekend... A girl that use to cheerlead at the college I played football for... now cheerleads for ASU and she called me and asked if I would come down to see her for a couple days. I said, "HELL YEAH, I'm there BABE!"
So... maybe both of us will come back new men and finish this semester strong! HA
Rob

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Ahhh, Rob just certified that my Riddle vision lab results came back positive. Crap, I really gotta get the hell outta Dodge (Pres-kit)!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Just got back from LA at 0700 Monday. Wow, I wish I had those AF GO pills for the drive back. I'm so whipped...and I've got class at 9. Well, there are a lot of cute girls in LA...but the problem is that they're in LA.

Well anyways, I had a ****load of fun...but I don't know if my Riddle vision is gone or not...haven't seen any girls this morning yet.

When I was making a turn on Hollywood Blvd, this guy in an SUV pulled up next to me and told me he saw my "FLY NAVY" sticker. He flew F-4s and he wanted to know when I was goin in, etc. Couldn't hear what ship he flew off of, damn traffic. That was pretty cool.

Ah well...time for class.

bobhefe55

Hey I'm a senior in high school about to graduate in '04. I have been accepted to Riddle for an AE degree. Can any of you that are in this now tell me how it is? I'll be attendig the Daytona campus. I'd also like to know how to get into the BDCP (and what the hell it is) program for future reference.

AridZone

Hey bobhefe55

I'm new to this forum stuff, but I'm a 3rd year AE right now in Prescott ERAU. It is a lot of work being an engineer, but if you survive the first two years, the rest is actually kinda fun. About once a week I'll waste two hours of my life doing a homework problem wrong, and after throwing my books across the room, I start all over and calm down. The trick is to manage your time so you only do school work during the day, but I can't help but lose some of my weekends and nights. If you have a bad class, just remember it's only 15 weeks. When the work seems impossible, remember there is a reason engineers get paid more in the civilian world compared to feminine studies majors.

I was scared because in high school I did poorly, but with hard work and determination I managed to keep a 3.4 gpa at ERAU, so don't worry about not keeping up, even though you will probably feel constantly behind.

If you do the homework, you may not even have to study for exams any longer than 30 mins. So, hours of homework pay off.

There will be a lot of times you don't know what the hell you are learning, that is normal. Someday you may actually understand what they are trying to teach.

Don't be scared to go to the profs office and ask questions, you're paying them and that's what they are there for. Occasionally they can be jerks, but be stuborn and know what you want.

The Daytona campus is larger and has more faculty politics than Prescott and you won't get as good a chance to get help directly from your prof (from what I've heard), but being in Florida may be more fun for you. I like guns and booze, so AZ is where I'm at. Daytona's ERAU is a top school.

Regarding the BDCP, just be very pushy and polite about it. I finally got my stuff finished down in Phoenix and I'm just waiting around. If you decide to go to Prescott, I can give you the guys number that you will have to talk to. You don't have to worry about it as a freshman, but get to know the officer recruiters down there in Florida, I don't see how it would hurt.

If you have any specific questions on AE, feel free to ask.

bobhefe55

Sup Arid,

Thnx for the advice. I'm not too worried about the work load. That sounds like what I've gone through at catholic high school, I've had to bust my ass, but now hard work seems not so tedious. I will graduate with a 3.6 which aint too bad. I'm sure college is totally different but i feel I am prepared.

So tell me, are the physics and math really all that hard? I've been flirting with the idea of playing for the ice hockey club there, or at least trying out. I'm not sure about how often they practice etc., but do you think there's enough time to get good grades and do something extracurricular like this?

Also, have you been accepted for sna or snfo? I've read about there being a naval aviator's club at the Daytona campus. Is this definately worth joining to get help with my sna application? The club is supposed to supply you with astb test materials and have guest speakers such as recruiters and ex/current navy officers. So I'm definately considering joining that.

About Florida, I like guns too, but I also don't mind the beach so much either. I live near Ft. Lauderdale right now actually, so it seemed Daytona would fit me better than AZ.

One more thing, did you choose the aeronautics or astronautics option? I hear you have to design an actual plane for your junior/senior project, in aeronautics, that sounds pretty damn cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.