• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prescott ERAU (Riddle Grads, help!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Hey guys,

So I got here about a month ago almost. My question isn't flight related, but more so towards the social life here. If any Riddle grads want to give some insight on the following questions, I'd really appreciate it:

-What the hell is there to do on friday nights??
-I keep hearing that the local girls have all sorts of stds...is this bogus or what?
-Why the hell do all the Riddle girls look like they fell out the landing gear?

I think that's all for now...

--edit--

Oh, wait...while we're at it, I have another question:

I'm AE right now, but I'm seriously thinking of double majoring with AS. I figure that if the Navy or Marines don't give me an aviator slot, I could fall back on my CFI and go commercial. But I want the AE degree so the Navy will be more likely to accept me -- not to mention that down the road, it will help with any possible NASA applications. Is this really stupid?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Laerg

OK...So I'm not a Riddle grad, but i currently attend a school similar to Riddle (Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute, IN). Heres the insight that i can share:

-local girls. This is probably bogus for the most part...but wrap up anyway.

-Riddle girl. Im assuming Riddle girls are like Rose girls. this is the typical female at any engineering school.

Sorry i cant answer any of your other q's

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Won't venture to answer the social/lifestyle questions. I will be at the ERAU (AZ) career fair OCT 2nd. I'll answer all your questions about naval aviation. I'll be the only naval officer with wings there.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I keep wondering if I should have gone to Daytona...you know, because of the beach and all. Surely the Riddle girls wouldn't be brave enough to show themselves on a beach. Being from LA, this whole place is major culture shock.

Hell, my Aerospace Engineering teacher flew F-4s, worked at the Pentagon, worked on the X-29, taught at the AF academy, and likes to go out with his buddies on the weekends and round up cattle. I can't think of the last time I met somebody in LA who did even one of the things above, let alone all. I've probably never even touched a cow, come to think of it. At least in LA we've got 10 million people, and girls who could goto the beach without breaking windows along the way. Oh well.

I'd really like to get the AE degree because I'm fairly certain that if I get a pilot slot I'm going to want to apply to NASA later. Of course, that's a long ways away, but I think it would be worth it. How long would it take to double if I did Summer A and Summer B? And what's the difference between minoring in flight and majoring? Does the minor give you CFI regardless? Because I don't really care about the "degree title" if I still get the CFI.....it shouldn't make much difference, right?

Okay, another question: Does Chartwells have any resemblence to the food they might serve on a Carrier or at a base? Because, it's....how can I say this.......It's almost like the kind of Mexican food you might find at some hole in the wall joint which requires you to do the 100 yard dash to the nearest bathroom whilst trying to keep your 6 from exploding.

Okay Wink, I wasn't going to bother going to that, but now you've convinced me. I'll be there for sure.

While we're at it, any opinions on the AF ROTC guys around here?

Thanks guys.

(Oh yeah, another bright idea: The AF and Army ROTC divisions here have had A-10s and blackhawks flying in. In fact, the A-10 is taking off at 10 today. How could we get some Navy guys to fly in here?)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love to get a fly in for ya. But unlike to AF we arn't made of money and are out fighting the war on terror worldwide. The Army guys come out because they really need to for recruiting purposes. The ROTC cadets think they are hot stuff until Navy BDCP guys start waving their paychecks in front of them as they walk by in shorts and a t-shirt instead of a uniform. I offered to speak to the AF ROTC unit about Naval Aviation, Carrier Battle Groups, Amphibious Warfare, etc. No recruiting, just interservice appreciation. The candy a** never called back. Didn't even have the balls to share the podium with a naval officer.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I was in AFROTC for about.......a week. I realized that it was all a big waste of time, especially when there's no confirmation that you'd be getting a pilot slot. I thought it would be a good experience for a year or two just to see what the military was like until I applied for BDCP, but it isn't like the real military as far as I can tell. It's just a bunch of kids running around wearing a uniform. Plus they wanted us to do a load of extracurricular "activities" which I just don't have time for if I want to keep good grades -- especially if I end up double majoring. If and when I'm able to wear a uniform, I want it to be for a good reason...not because I get to walk around campus and salute other kids for no logical purpose. I'm glad that there are a lot of ROTC cadets though, since that means less competition for BDCP slots!

What's the nearest Naval Air Station? Maybe I'll go to them. Do bases still have tours and such since September 11?

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
As for the engineering degree and NASA:

NASA has actually switched who is becoming astronauts from Engineering degrees to Earth science degrees. For a while they were almost only looking for pilots with engineering degrees. The recent shifts in the past 2 or 3 years has been to hire those with earth science majors. I would assume this is for a gear up of a trip to Mars (which becomes closer each year).

Just my $.02, and as with all things I have no real idea the reasoning behind the hiring, could have just been for the past few years. To find out why and what the trend will become ask them.

Kobyra

olpa9901

Been there, (PNS) Done that.
I'm not trying to start any flame wars buuuut.

Originally posted by Pap

2. Don’t worry about the STD’s. Its just like anywhere else in the world. If you ever have the opportunity, go for it, you would be retarded not to. Just make sure you cover yourself.

And people wonder whats wrong with america.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Redfive,
I was a little confused by your post re BDCP. Just to be sure you understand the program, there are no uniforms, or drills, or meetings, or training in BDCP. The Navy gives you over $2000/mo to just get good grades and graduate on time for a guranteed pilot or NFO spot. Best thing is you are technically on active duty so you get all the benefits, insurance, time to retirement, and access to all military bases. Have to have outstanding grades. Bring some friends and we will talk on the 2nd.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yep, I understand the BDCP program fully. The Los Angeles area recruiter gave the skinny on it, as well as this website. If I didn't understand it, I'd probably still be in AFROTC ;)

Are you going to be the only Navy guy there, or will there be a few of you? If so, how do I know which one is you? Although it probably doesn't matter that much.

I guess my post could have been a little confusing. See, my original plan was to take AFROTC and see what the "military" was like, then apply for BDCP soph year. If I got rejected I could still take a chance with AFROTC, if I got accepted I would have just dropped ROTC. I think that makes sense. Well, it made sense to me, at least...until I realized AFROTC was a waste of time. If BDCP doesn't accept me I can always try the Marines, or in the worst case, go with the 2 year AFROTC program later.

It Doesn't matter really, I'm going to do BDCP anyways.

Rob_ERAU

Redfive,
Whats up dude, I agree with Pap, your statement on the chics here is funny. What do you think about the girls who are here that know they're the only ones around and act like there hot even though they're butt a$$ ugly. Slim Pickings, bro. Anyways, every other Friday night some buddies of mine here who are all in the Marine PLC program get together and have a good time. Your welcome to hang out anytime just pm me your room number and I'll give you details.
Later,
Rob

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Good Time...in Prescott? Oxymoron? Sounds good though. I'll PM you later, got to run to Physics.

Look for the Tan and Black Jeep!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There will be atleast one other Navy Officer there. I'm the only guy with wings. Heck, I just might wear my flight suit. The AF guys wear them everywhere. You would think it is the foundation of their self esteem. BTW. Does the school run a shuttle from the school flight line to the main campus. I'd fly my Cessna 170 in just for fun if I could get a reliable ride to the campus.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yep, they run a shuttle, but it stops after certain hours. I'll check on it for you.

I've got a Jeep too, the offer's open.

JoeAE2005

I'm currently a 3rd year AE student at the Daytona Beach campus. As far as girls go, IT'S NO DIFFERENT! Hot girls just don't like to be aerospace engineers. And yes, all the ugly girls here (about 90% are hideous) think they are "hotties." It's actually quite disturbing.

Oh well, only 3 years left for me!

-joe

Status
Not open for further replies.