• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre PFT

AEIllini2387

My OSO just called me today and said since I was selected for first increment I have to take a PFT by tomorrow, what is this PFT and do u have to get above a 225 or you fail out, what is the purpose of this.

adversity04

A PFT consists of pullups, situps and a 3mile run. The minimum score is a 225 with there being minimums for each event.
Pullups = 10
Situps = 80
Run = 24minutes.

For scoring refer to www.ocs.usmc.mil

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
225 is a minimum and from what I've seen, 250 is a score you would want to be comfortable.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I find it hard to believe that your OSO got a package submitted AND you got selected for OCS without doing a PFT (which admittedly I am assuming based on your question)...

Now, assuming you are being honest here...PFT is the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test. a score of above 225 will give you a first class PFT which is required to attend OCS and therefore also to pass OCS and become an officer of Marines. IF you already have a slot and you fail your PFT then more than likely your OSO won't let you ship down and you will have to resubmit for later.

PFT - 3 mile run, 2min crunches, pullups
The purpose of the PFT is to make sure you aren't a bag of a$$ and able to meet the physical demands placed before you. OCS will be increasingly difficult the lower PFT score you get...

Now, again, I have a hard time accepting that you haven't done a PFT before, have not heard a great deal about it up to this point, and also have already been selected for OCS. If this really is the situation then you REALLY need to get proactive and talk to your OSO about all the things you should now already and definitely before going to OCS. If you have further questions feel free to ask.

batman527

Banned
jamnww said:
I find it hard to believe that your OSO got a package submitted AND you got selected for OCS without doing a PFT (which admittedly I am assuming based on your question)...

Second that. I thought the OSO wouldn't even submit your package if you hadn't run a PFT and had it above 225. At least I know that mine doesn't submit your book if you can't score 225, I know of a couple of guys in my area working on getting their scores up so that they can submit their packages.

To further the explanation of the PFT, note that a score of 225 is scoring a 75/100 for each of the three events. That should give you some idea of the numbers you need to shoot for in each event. You can be lower than that 75 in any event, but you'll need to be above it in another event to make up for it.

mserver

I think he is trying to ask if this pft has any importance in him getting shipped off. Im assuming he got above a 225, and is now worried that he cant do it again. and if he cant do it again, even if he was already selected, does that mean he cant go? Im thinking thats what his post meant.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If indeed that's what he's asking, you are required to take a pre-ship PFT that you must pass. We disenrolled a candidate last year who couldn't pass the pre-ship.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The purpose of pre-ship PFT's are just to give your office/district a warm fuzzy feeling about your ability to physically succeed at OCS before they ship you down there. They'd probably like to see at least a 235-240.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
ZoomByU said:
pre-ship PFTs are due by friday that's probably what that is.

my understanding is that the pre-ship pft is due at some point within 30 days before you leave. i'm not doing mine until a few saturdays from now

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
DocT said:
The purpose of pre-ship PFT's are just to give your office/district a warm fuzzy feeling about your ability to physically succeed at OCS before they ship you down there. They'd probably like to see at least a 235-240.

On top of that it will also show if you have been staying serious about PT in the time leading up to shipping. And the pre-ship PFT is due within 30 days of shipping.

Ok, my thoughts. If you are worried about getting a 225 and thereby passing your preship PFT then you are going to have serious problems at OCS. The better condition you are before going down the better and that indoc PFT while down there you will drop your score by sometimes as much as 20 points. If you fail that PFT then more than likely you will be going home.

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Slammer2 said:
my understanding is that the pre-ship pft is due at some point within 30 days before you leave. i'm not doing mine until a few saturdays from now
let me rephrase pre ship PFTs for occ/plc-c 192 and 1st increment are due by friday.

Lawman

None
ZoomByU said:
let me rephrase pre ship PFTs for occ/plc-c 192 and 1st increment are due by friday.

Tell that to our OSO ;)

I dont know exactly why the reasoning for it but our (Me and Slammers) pre-ship is set for the 13th. It was supposed to be this Saturday but got moved.

And from what we have been told about the new CO at OCS, if you fail the initial you will be going home.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
ZoomByU said:

Sounds like something specific to your OSO or maybe his district. National doesn't care as long as it isn't like the day before ship, as long as it is not more than 30 days before the ship date.

cWood30

PLC Sr's Candidate
I'll just go ahead and second what jamnw said. I know that our OSO is having a pool-wide pre-ship PFT on Armed Forces day, the Saturday before we ship for 1st Inc. So unless he's out of the loop, you simply need a pre-ship before you get there, not necessarily a whole 30 days out before you get to OCS.

And it'd also be nice to get some response from the original poster. If you're asking what a PFT in general is, I'm not sure how you got to where you are without knowing. If you're asking what this particular PFT is for, like someone said, it's so they know you're relatively good to go for OCS. And if you're asking if below 225 is acceptable, then you're in a whole lot more trouble than just worrying about your PFT score.