• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-OCS PRT suspended?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I disagree. If the pre-OCS PT tests were so valuable, people wouldn't be showing up to OCS and failing. If you can pass prior to OCS there's absolutely no excuse for people being unable to pass once there. So with that being the case, it seems to me that currently they are a waste of the recruiter's time.

And what makes you think that every recruiter actually gave their recruits a pre-OCS PRT? I actually remember asking quite a few of the bunch and they had openly admitted that their recruiter fudged numbers or didn't test them at all. Obviously not accusing the recruiters, but its not the first time I've heard of them NOT doing it. Even my recruiter said he knew of others that would just fudge numbers to get their kid in the program or didn't test them at all.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
I agree that there is some funny business going on with ORs not properly vetting their OCs before OCS, but as far as my NRD goes they ensure that we are meeting minimums and are in decent shape before heading north. Trust me...I failed my first two initial PRTs before swearing in, largely because I was dealing with severe shin splints and having to lose 20+ pounds to meet req's. But I worked my butt off and made it with the pushing of my OR, and they still push us at the biannual PRTs.

Long story short, had I even been allowed to get near OCS in that condition (which some have shown up out of shape and overweight), it's likely I'd have hurt myself and would've ruined my chances of making it through to become an officer. I'm not the 180lb, 5min mile runner I used to be in HS, but I know I have to push myself harder to get and keep myself in shape to be ready for Newport. So I think that having the pre-OCS PRT is a good idea, maybe even instituting a workout regiment that we have to meet monthly to keep us in line (I know it would've helped me so far). It's been the hardest part for me to keep in shape without having someone to workout with or PT like I had in my ROTC days, so something like that for BDCP and DA guys might be a good idea.

m26

Contributor
TJ/
How'd you get over your shin splints? I have OCS in a month, and I'm just starting to run again. I'm paranoid they'll come back again.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Something that helped me:

Buying the proper shoes and inserts. I went to a running store here in town, and I got a proper running shoe, and picked up the insert for the arch support I was needing. Since then, I haven't had any shin pain at all. I took a few weeks off from running, and instead, chose to bike/walk. It wasn't the best substitution, but it did allow me to keep moving and doing cardio.

mbraesicke

Ranger
I've very prone to shin splints, have been getting them since 7th grade track. The only thing that's helped me is a stretching routine I do throughout the day. Bend your feet up, trying to get your toes as close to your shin as possible, and hold that for a few seconds. Then push your toes down as far as they'll go and hold that for a few seconds. End it by rotating your ankles around a few times. Do all this without using your hands to bend your feet around. It seems to work better for me at the early stages of shin splints and in preventing them. I think if its too serious you're better off doing low impact exercizes for a few weeks. From what i've heard OCS is all about running on hard surfaces so definitely get it figured out before then!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
M26,

Shin splints suck. You need to rest them to get rid of them. If you don't want to take a break off then use an elliptical or ride a bike more. These are lower impact and will allow you to keep building endurance but putting your shins more at ease. If you decide to rest them then make sure you stretch properly and start working on lower leg flex using a band or something to help build the muscles over the shin as this will help prevent shin splints in the future. You seem to be pushing a little hard or you are over weight because these are the major causes of shin splints. I doubt you are overweight but here is some info about this:

http://doni.daps.dla.mil/Directives/...ss/6110.1H.pdf

m26

Contributor
You seem to be pushing a little hard or you are over weight because these are the major causes of shin splints.

I'm 6'0, 165, so that's not it. I played through the shin splints this summer, which aggravated the hell out of them, but x-rays showed no permanent damage. I've been off them since mid-September, and I'm currently easing my way back into running. 2 laps walking, 2 jogging, 2 walking, 3 jogging, etc.

I feel a little tender there, but I think (hope) that's all in my head. They should be fine. I just want to prevent them from coming back when I start running >1 mile again.

I did go to a running store to get proper shoes, so that shouldn't be the problem.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'm 6'0, 165, so that's not it. I played through the shin splints this summer, which aggravated the hell out of them, but x-rays showed no permanent damage. I've been off them since mid-September, and I'm currently easing my way back into running. 2 laps walking, 2 jogging, 2 walking, 3 jogging, etc.

Yea I figured you weren't overweight. Go to Walmart or another store. Buy some workout bands. Take one end of that and loop it around a chair leg. Then loop the other end around the tip of your foot. Put tension on the workout band then lift your foot towards your knee like you are shifting gears on a motorcycle. Ensure you have full range of motion when you do this exercise then perform several reps and sets on each leg. This will help build the muscle over your shin and that will help eliminate shin splints. I did this when I pushed myself too hard early on when I began running again. I haven't had any problems since after I built up the muscle.

Lucy

Plyometrics would help with this also. Make sure to start slow though, but with a month left you should have nough time to build up the strength to be fine.

m26

Contributor
TBC, I'll give that a try. I have rubber resistance bands and latex physical therapy bands. Which sounds more like what you have in mind?

Also, can you give me an example for someone who has never been on a motorcycle? :eek:

Plyometrics would help with this also. Make sure to start slow though, but with a month left you should have nough time to build up the strength to be fine.

I'm nervous about restarting plyometrics. I'm not great with slow buildup; I shift straight into 4th gear. I think I'd make things worse by jumping into that.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Yea those bands should work.

Also, can you give me an example for someone who has never been on a motorcycle? :eek:

Sure it is basically this motion but you will probably be standing and balancing on one leg while doing this exercise so you can keep the band taunt when in the relaxed position. You want to keep the band near your toes if possible as this will provide the best results but it most likely will slide up your foot towards your ankle which is fine. You will still get great results from this exercise either way.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/12981/51_2008/7cd8449db2663b2b_shin.jpg

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I'm not sure whether it was a pre-select requirement, but I did my PRT for BDCP as a civilian before my OR even submitted the application. I actually thought the level of performance was a competitive factor in getting a pro-rec, but found out later it just mattered that I could pass. I'm surprised that a simple evaluation like a PRT can cause issues with civilian OCS applicants if the recruiters just give some simple warnings not to exert yourself to the point of collapse. My OR still does for my semi-annual PRT. Even gave me the option to do it another time when it was hot out. Since the only real responsibilities for us BDCP guys is to get good grades and stay in shape I try and take that to heart and prepare as best I can for my PRTs and OCS as any officer applicant should. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm actually doing something for all that green they give us :)

kacraven

Just talked to my recruiter - sounds like there was a conference call today about this. We should here something definite soon but it sounds like the PRT might be made voluntary before OCS?

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Just talked to my recruiter - sounds like there was a conference call today about this. We should here something definite soon but it sounds like the PRT might be made voluntary before OCS?

Has there been anything else about this? I'd be really surprised if they did that, as that means some OCs would potentially show up to OCS without ever attempting a PRT. I can only imagine the beatings and the pain those guys would receive...without the need to do a 30-day pre-OCS PRT (and for us BDCP guys, another one before then in April) there would be no immediate incentive for us to really work out before then. It sounds crazy, but without the looming failure on an upcoming PRT I tend to not push myself as hard as I should in the meantime, and I would not get in decent enough shape in time.

With all of the competitiveness of the selection boards lately, I'm surprised that they have not gone the other way with this issue, and make the PRT a competitive element of the selection process (i.e. barring everything else equal, the applicant with the better PRT scores gets selected over someone meeting only the minimums - or worse, not taking it at all).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Has there been anything else about this? I'd be really surprised if they did that, as that means some OCs would potentially show up to OCS without ever attempting a PRT. I can only imagine the beatings and the pain those guys would receive...without the need to do a 30-day pre-OCS PRT (and for us BDCP guys, another one before then in April) there would be no immediate incentive for us to really work out before then.

I don't agree with your statement. Guys going to bootcamp have to pass the same PRT requirements as officers in the fleet. Many of these men/women don't show up to bootcamp requiring a pre-bootcamp PRT but seem to pass the exit PRT just fine. That being said anyone that performs the work before hand will only benefit from it.