• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-OCS PRT suspended?

woodfinx

Heard from my recruiter that the pre-OCS PRT is no longer in place due to an incident experienced at one of the recruiting districts.

Supposedly all I have now is MEPS and then I get a class date.

Anyone know anything on this?

marathonman

Interesting. I guess that would mean that the PRT is performed after you report in Newport, which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

banana380

pilot
Not sure whether that applies to the PRT for your application, I guess it would. For certain at least it seems to apply to the 30-day pre-OCS PRT, because most of the people in my class (24OCT2010) aren't having to do one.

I would definitely make sure I could pass it though, it would really suck to get up there and get rolled first thing...

m26

Contributor
Yeah, I'd think you'd need to pass the PRT once to get a final select. The pre-ship PRT I could believe... I hope it's true (and for when I ship). Would save me some potential hassle.

woodfinx

Yeah the one at OCS is still there, it's my understanding the within 30-day of your Pro Rec with your Recruiter is the one that is suspended.

TheBirdy

pilot
Yeah the one at OCS is still there, it's my understanding the within 30-day of your Pro Rec with your Recruiter is the one that is suspended.

This is correct. E-mailed my recruiter and he confirmed it is cancelled. Works in my benefit seeing as I fractured my elbow right before my package is being submitted..

m26

Contributor
Sounds good to me. Maybe some poor souls in worse shape than me will slip into OCS and deflect some attention from me. :)

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
been reading for a while but never posted, so 1st post :D

Also, I can re-confirm. There is no longer a PRT in the application process.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Sounds good to me. Maybe some poor souls in worse shape than me will slip into OCS and deflect some attention from me. :)

I can absolutely assure you that THIS will happen. But please don't be that guy or girl, I personally think it ridiculous and sad that people show up to MILITARY TRAINING and can't even muster out a the minimum pushups/situps or pass the run. There were people there who couldn't even do 2 pushups when they arrived and thats no exaggeration.

I think getting rid of the Pre-OCS PRT is a bad idea, but hey what do I know.....just don't let that make you get complacent. You do NOT want to show up the first week not able to pass the minimums. Like I said I saw it happen multiple times and that person did not have an easy time from that point forward.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
There were people there who couldn't even do 2 pushups when they arrived and thats no exaggeration.

I would imagine this happens often as it did in bootcamp as well which seemed like constantly! The other problem was that it is more than just one person that shows up in this shape.

On a side note to be honest I don't completely understand the whole Pre-OCS PRT anyways. People are still going to show up out of shape anyways. But my position stems from the fact that enlisted folks are required to meet the same physical standards as officers yet there isn't a PRE-Bootcamp PRT (not saying it wouldn’t help). Granted your life is much easier at bootcamp and I assume OCS if you show up in shape already but I guess I never understood why it was mandatory to pass a PRT before OCS. I thought OCS would be the same as bootcamp in that the purpose is to make big people small and small people big through large amounts of physical activity. That being said as an officer I feel most people should want to excel and would want be physically fit before arrival anyways.

m26

Contributor
I think getting rid of the Pre-OCS PRT is a bad idea, but hey what do I know.....just don't let that make you get complacent. You do NOT want to show up the first week not able to pass the minimums. Like I said I saw it happen multiple times and that person did not have an easy time from that point forward.

My recruiter tells me that they didn't axe the pre-ship PRT. Rather, they stopped doing the PRT for final select, because non-military types doing a PRT under Navy supervision turned into a liability problem after someone had some... problems.

Anyhoo, you don't have to sell me on the value of showing up in shape. The mind is willing... I just hope the body cooperates :)

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
m26 is correct, it was the liability issue with the civvy's that caused the issue...according to my OR, the kid worked himself too hard, didn't say anything to his recruiters or other applicants, and keeled over once he got in his vehicle. Stinks as it's useful to do a PRT or two before going to OCS, as your OR can critique your technique in the pushups and situps and you'll find where you need to work on before you go, although you'll never be ready for all the fun and joy the gunnies will have waiting for you.

Civilians are temporarily exempt from the PRT, but as far as anyone else including us BDCP guys we still have to do them regardless. Lucky me, I guess I'll be one of the guys in decent shape when we all get there...woo hoo...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a plausible, knee-jerk Navy reaction. Some candidate skinned a knee when some local enlisted recruiter conducted his pre-OCS PRT. A SITREP was sent out in message traffic and big Navy now can't evaluate whether a candidate physically sucks or not.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Stinks as it's useful to do a PRT or two before going to OCS, as your OR can critique your technique in the pushups and situps and you'll find where you need to work on before you go, although you'll never be ready for all the fun and joy the gunnies will have waiting for you.

I disagree. If the pre-OCS PT tests were so valuable, people wouldn't be showing up to OCS and failing. If you can pass prior to OCS there's absolutely no excuse for people being unable to pass once there. So with that being the case, it seems to me that currently they are a waste of the recruiter's time.

mbraesicke

Ranger
I disagree. If the pre-OCS PT tests were so valuable, people wouldn't be showing up to OCS and failing. If you can pass prior to OCS there's absolutely no excuse for people being unable to pass once there. So with that being the case, it seems to me that currently they are a waste of the recruiter's time.

Better to send more out of shape candidates to OCS so they can waste the DI's time instead I suppose? Pre OCS PT, if nothing else, screens out many who don't stand a chance at OCS. Some may get by but i'm willing to bet OCS will now see an influx of people needing remedial workouts.