• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL Gouge

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
I definitely prefer the low wing aircraft. However, it can be difficult to find flight schools that have them available. Pinnacle Aviation has them up in Carlsbad, but if you live right around Montgomery Field I'm sure there is at least one that uses them. I can't remember if that club (right there by the entrance) had them or not. I mean let's face it. You're used to being in an EA-6B going mach 2 with your hair on fire. So ANYTHING is going to suck from the horsepower perspective. It makes no sense to spend the bucks and train in a retractable. However, you'll notice better performance in a Warrior over the Cherokee as well as in the 172 over the 150/152. A lot of schools have bought the new 172 which are very nice (leather seats, a real seatbelt, and plenty of electronic gizmos in the dash).

Yeah, I know Brett said he was leaning towards the Navy club, but I think we're talking about the same place at Montgomery. It's a very active flight club w/ all sorts of aircraft available, from 150s to twins. At least that was the case 5 years ago. Right across the streen from Marv Golden's.

@Brett, I'm of the opinion that you will greatly enhance your flying experience w/ a headset, and if you don't have one already, Marv Golden's used to be one the cheapest places nationally for all kinds of makes and models of headsets. Better than Sporty's. Just FYI.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Yeah, I know Brett said he was leaning towards the Navy club, but I think we're talking about the same place at Montgomery. It's a very active flight club w/ all sorts of aircraft available, from 150s to twins. At least that was the case 5 years ago. Right across the streen from Marv Golden's.

@Brett, I'm of the opinion that you will greatly enhance your flying experience w/ a headset, and if you don't have one already, Marv Golden's used to be one the cheapest places nationally for all kinds of makes and models of headsets. Better than Sporty's. Just FYI.
Thanks bro. I'll have to check that out. I also looked at a couple of the flying clubs at Montgomery and they seem to have lots of planes and reasonable rates as well - great gouge.

Brett

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Alright, Going along with the topic, does anyone have any gouge about the Navy Flying Club in Pensacola? I have talked to the person that is incharge of new members, but I just wanted to check before I give them any money. Their rates seem pretty reasonable ( $60 for an 172 and Archer $80 for the Arrow if I am not mistaken ) . Any information would be appreciated!

KimberlyD

Brett, I know you said money isn't an issue but the Navy will pay for some of the training if you sign up for Tuition Assistance. I looked into it when XXXXX was trying to roll straight out of IFS into a PPL (we got orders here though) & it was hard to find someone in Norfolk w/ a straight answer but eventually by reading their manuals the conclusion was that ground school is covered under TA, testing for the license can be covered under TA but plane rental & gas fees are not, however, that's when I talked to our tax advisor & it is deductible.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KimberlyD said:
Brett, I know you said money isn't an issue but the Navy will pay for some of the training if you sign up for Tuition Assistance. I looked into it when Paul was trying to roll straight out of IFS into a PPL (we got orders here though) & it was hard to find someone in Norfolk w/ a straight answer but eventually by reading their manuals the conclusion was that ground school is covered under TA, testing for the license can be covered under TA but plane rental & gas fees are not, however, that's when I talked to our tax advisor & it is deductible.
Thanks, but recouping testing fees isn't worth the hassle of going through any Navy red tape. Time is money, you know.

Brett