• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL Gouge

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, with all my free time here in SOCAL, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a PPL this summer. Do any of you folks have good sources of gouge for that? I'm not so much looking for stuff on the written tests, but more about the flight syllabus, required maneuvers, standards of performance, etc. Basically, what a student could expect for all the various flights and instruction phases. Is there any kind of material that would be like the Navy flight school pubs? I'll even entertain any personal gouge available from you CFIs out there. Thanks!

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Well, with all my free time here in SOCAL, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting a PPL this summer. Do any of you folks have good sources of gouge for that? I'm not so much looking for stuff on the written tests, but more about the flight syllabus, required maneuvers, standards of performance, etc. Basically, what a student could expect for all the various flights and instruction phases. Is there any kind of material that would be like the Navy flight school pubs? I'll even entertain any personal gouge available from you CFIs out there. Thanks!

Brett
Where are you at out there? PM me your address and I'll snail mail some good stuff out there for you.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Steve Wilkins said:
Where are you at out there? PM me your address and I'll snail mail some good stuff out there for you.

Don't fall for it Brett, he'll probably mail you a box of anthrax.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Don't fall for it Brett, he'll probably mail you a box of anthrax.
That's OK, my shots are current. I now use powdered anthrax as a seasoning. It's great on steaks! :D

Brett

nugget81

pilot
You'll find that each part 61 flight school will do things a bit differently than the other, and that holds true for the instructors as well. Each may and probably will have a different syllabus. However, most places will break the training into 3 blocks with a clear objective in each:

Block 1 - Solo
Block 2 - Solo cross-country flight
Block 3 - PPL

The required maneuvers can be found in a couple of places - the Private Pilot PTS, which also provides the standards for each maneuver, or FAR Part 61 Subpart E. Generally speaking, the standards are +/- 100' of altitude, +/- 10 degrees of heading, and +/- 10 knots of airspeed for most maneuvers. That and "demonstrate mastery of the aircraft with the successful outcome of each task performed never seriously in doubt."

When looking at a flight school or instructor, be sure to talk with other students training with them to gauge the quality of instruction and the aircraft. Not all flight schools are made equally and you will find dramatic differences between one flight school and the next. That being said, good luck! If you have more questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nugget81 said:
When looking at a flight school or instructor, be sure to talk with other students training with them to gauge the quality of instruction and the aircraft. Not all flight schools are made equally and you will find dramatic differences between one flight school and the next. That being said, good luck! If you have more questions I'll try to answer them as best I can.

The most recent Flying Mag has a good article about selecting flight instructors. Remember, You are the one paying, they are your employee! So demand an instructor that teaches the way you learn. I.E. not the navy way! :)

joeflys

The Practical Test Standards (PTS) for Private Pilot Airplane Single Engine Land is your best source of info. In fact many examiners will give you the worlds easiest checkride if you do what they refer to as a PTS outline. Basically you go through the book, and for each topic, say short field landings, you write out in your own words the procedure, the satisfactory completion criteria, and any other info you may want to use. The best part is, you can then use that on your checkride, and if you hand the PTS outline over to the examiner in the beginning of the checkride, they my only ask you a couple questions. Never the less, they know you have prepared, and are taking it seriously. I am a CFI/II/MEI so, if you have any questionis, PM me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sweet guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Good times,

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Where are you looking to go, Brett? Montgomery or the flying club? The Montgomery club was pretty big, and had a bunch of planes to choose from (including my beloved Tiger), but the system seemed a hassle, at least initially. Things were going digital back in '01, so it may be better now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Where are you looking to go, Brett? Montgomery or the flying club? The Montgomery club was pretty big, and had a bunch of planes to choose from (including my beloved Tiger), but the system seemed a hassle, at least initially. Things were going digital back in '01, so it may be better now.
I haven't done any meaningful research, but I guess I would default to the NASNI flying club as their rates are much better. Once I get my ticket, I can rent from wherever the most attractive FBO might be. I live pretty close to Montgomery, so that would be more convenient than the haul down to the Island. Any thoughts on the advantage to doing training in a 172 vs. something smaller - money isn't that big an issue.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I haven't done any meaningful research, but I guess I would default to the NASNI flying club as their rates are much better. Once I get my ticket, I can rent from wherever the most attractive FBO might be. I live pretty close to Montgomery, so that would be more convenient than the haul down to the Island. Any thoughts on the advantage to doing training in a 172 vs. something smaller - money isn't that big an issue.

Brett
Fly the 172. The 152 is a great plane to learn in, but if you can afford the 172, do it. You can even take friends along on many of the training flights (dual of course).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, the 150/152 is a great plane to learn the basics, and pretty reasonable, so I'd probably start there. However, if you want to take a step up, then the 172 is an option, as is a Cherokee/Warrior. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 172. It's like calling a Pontiac a sports car. The Pipers aren't a whole lot different, but I just have a memory of liking them better.

However there are other options that are much more fun to fly. A lot of schools have the kit-type planes now, which I have to believe are more responsive, although I've never flown one. As I mentioned before, there's also the Grumman products, which are a four seater (to cover what Steve said) but much more nimble and you have a sliding canopy you can fly w/ it open. But again, I'm biased towards these, as it's what I grew up flying after 150/152s.

BlaZe

Banned
I'd go 172 but thats only becuase thats what ill be doing. Very nice trainer/recreational plane. Im studying for the written which will be pretty hard. Its 60 multiple choice Q's out of a 600 Q databank and you have to pick the answer which best fits the question for each.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Yeah, the 150/152 is a great plane to learn the basics, and pretty reasonable, so I'd probably start there. However, if you want to take a step up, then the 172 is an option, as is a Cherokee/Warrior. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 172. It's like calling a Pontiac a sports car. The Pipers aren't a whole lot different, but I just have a memory of liking them better.

However there are other options that are much more fun to fly. A lot of schools have the kit-type planes now, which I have to believe are more responsive, although I've never flown one. As I mentioned before, there's also the Grumman products, which are a four seater (to cover what Steve said) but much more nimble and you have a sliding canopy you can fly w/ it open. But again, I'm biased towards these, as it's what I grew up flying after 150/152s.
I definitely prefer the low wing aircraft. However, it can be difficult to find flight schools that have them available. Pinnacle Aviation has them up in Carlsbad, but if you live right around Montgomery Field I'm sure there is at least one that uses them. I can't remember if that club (right there by the entrance) had them or not. I mean let's face it. You're used to being in an EA-6B going mach 2 with your hair on fire. So ANYTHING is going to suck from the horsepower perspective. It makes no sense to spend the bucks and train in a retractable. However, you'll notice better performance in a Warrior over the Cherokee as well as in the 172 over the 150/152. A lot of schools have bought the new 172 which are very nice (leather seats, a real seatbelt, and plenty of electronic gizmos in the dash).

BlaZe

Banned
The pilot schools around my area have alot of low wings like the Mooney's. (or however ya spell it)