• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

power school instructor?

stiltr01

To make a long sad story short, about 2 years ago I interviewed with Admiral Bowman for a power school instructor position He said he "didn't think I would enjoy" the position, but didn't seem to question my knowledge, and even invited me back for an interview as a sub officer. That didn't work out, and since then I've enlisted as a CTI. It's been good to me so far (about to take the E5 exam after just 18 months), but I still haven't forgotten my dream of being a nuke instructor. I understand there's a new director of Naval Reactors, and I know how I did the application process as a civilian, but I don't know how I'd do it now. I'd certainly have to brush up on my math and physics, and maybe retake the OAR. Any helpful knowledge or advice out there? Think my dream is achievable still?

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Nukes do not have to take the ASTB at all. You obviously have the pre-requisites to be a Nuke. Why didn't the sub-officer thing work out? Did he offer it to you at the interview and you declined? If you have a technical degree and several good fitreps as a junior sailor, you should not have a problem getting in. You will need to go through an officer recruiter to get your package together.

stiltr01

It wasn't quite like that, the invite was for six months thence, but by then all the billets for the sub community were closed. I was pretty dubious about it anyway, so it probably worked out. So, I wouldn't need an OAR for that? Well that's good. My CCC doesn't really know much about the program, but you say I'll have to go through a recruiter, huh? Interesting. If good evals are important, that may be a good reason to wait. CTI school was 12 months long for me and I'm still in indoc here, so my first two evals are essentially going to be NOBs. Or is that not to my disadvantage? I have high PRT scores, and yes, all of the prerequisites (BA in physics). I just wasn't sure if they actually allow people to interview twice, although, like I said, there's a new director, so that might allow it.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
There being a new director won't mean anything. If they allow you to reapply, you already got the interview once. There isn't a streamlined enlisted to power school instruction pipeline, so you'd have to find an OSO to work through. If you can't find out soon whether or not you can resubmit, do it anyway.
BTW, school evals are not necessarily NOB- I had an MP for my power school eval. Do your best and do extra stuff like volunteer for things. I don't think they would hold a junior service record against you. I don't know how much a shiny service record would help. If you have the academic credentials, go for it.

SanRemoWRX

I am a nuke instructor and I really like the job. However, if you are interested in a military career its an awful place to start. The Navy has done a lot to ensure there are places for you to go after finishing your tour but a lot of communities don't need or want an O3 with no warfare quals and no experience in that community.

If you really want to be a nuke try going the nuke officer route again and you have a chance to instruct at the nuclear power school after your first sea tour. If you like your current job but want to be an officer why not look into commissioning routes into the Information Warfare community.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
BTW, school evals are not necessarily NOB- I had an MP for my power school eval.

The writing on the back of the eval is much more important than the unlimited MPs that can be given out for E-4(or is it E-5?) and below.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Whoa, just saw the timescale, haha nice resurection . . . this ones a little old :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The writing on the back of the eval is much more important than the unlimited MPs that can be given out for E-4(or is it E-5?) and below.
Except that most officers and chiefs don't have the first clue on what to write on the back of the eval, whether for their own or for their sailors. As for the P, MP, and EP AND the write up on the back....the two work together. That wasn't how the current system was designed to work, but it is what it is at this point.

krchris

I am a nuke instructor and I really like the job. However, if you are interested in a military career its an awful place to start. The Navy has done a lot to ensure there are places for you to go after finishing your tour but a lot of communities don't need or want an O3 with no warfare quals and no experience in that community.

If you really want to be a nuke try going the nuke officer route again and you have a chance to instruct at the nuclear power school after your first sea tour. If you like your current job but want to be an officer why not look into commissioning routes into the Information Warfare community.

My recruiter has been talking to me about becoming a Power School Instructor. I have a BS in physics, and I teach high school physics and engineering classes, but I want to change professions. I don't have any prior military experience. What would you recommend I do? Information Warfare? Intelligence? Other suggestions? I took the ASTB and scored a 6, 6, 6, 61.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of those routes?

Thanks

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't have any prior military experience. What would you recommend I do? Information Warfare? Intelligence? Other suggestions? I took the ASTB and scored a 6, 6, 6, 61.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of those routes?

Thanks

Do what it is that interests you. I know it's been said before, but that paycheck seems bigger when you're having fun.

As for disadvantages, like it was stated above, you can't do the NPI thing long-term.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

I couldn't agree more. Have you thought about applying to OCS? I think they have a board every three months or so, and I don't believe the package is very hard to submit. I know a lot of enlisted guys that got commissioned that way, and in a hurry. (Although you would still have to interview with the ADM if you wanted anything nuclear). Just a thought.

LuckyGator

I am a nuke instructor and I really like the job. However, if you are interested in a military career its an awful place to start. The Navy has done a lot to ensure there are places for you to go after finishing your tour...

I agree, starting as a nuke instructor is not a great way to start. But for some of the older people, it is sometimes the only option (that, or Naval Reactor engineer) because the age cut-off is the highest compared to the other programs. I am 34 (turning 35 soon) and the instructor route (or NR engineer) was the only way I could get commissioned and go active-duty with no prior military experience. I'm still psyched though about starting my Navy career! I have an interview in D.C. in a couple of weeks.

While I was at the instructor VIP trip at NNPTC (Chaleston, S.C.), the Commander of the NPS made it very clear that there were "no guarantees" that we would be able to lateral transfer to a different community. But I am somewhat reassured by your post that the Navy is doing a lot to ensure that there are possibilities. I plan on working hard and doing the best I can in hope for a transfer to something else so that I could continue in the Navy. Now it's just a matter of checking out the different options and planning ahead. EDO, Oceanography, and Intel seem like possibilities...