• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Final Selection Benefits/Restrictions

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
1) Are there any new laws that apply from MCUJ that didn't apply before hand? (Obviously do not do drugs in any way), but if you have friends that are officers, are you now bound to not fraternize with them?

You're BDCP so you're basically a civilian with an ID card. Fraternization doesn't even exist for you until you put on that uniform at OCS. Please do not start referring to your officer buddies as "sir". In fact, take this time to grow a full beard. Even better if you can get your active duty ID card with a full beard in the nastiest T-Shirt you own. Don't go memorizing the UCMJ. You already pretty well summed up what you can't do with the drugs thing.

Realize that you might be on the hook to buy a commercial ticket home if something happened and couldn't get a space-A flight back in time.

I wouldn't really think that that would be an issue for BDCP. At least at my recruiting district they really didn't have anything too pressing for me to do, so unless you're actually running out of leave days, I wouldn't anticipate problems getting it extended. Just make sure you don't cut it too close.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wouldn't really think that that would be an issue for BDCP. At least at my recruiting district they really didn't have anything too pressing for me to do, so unless you're actually running out of leave days, I wouldn't anticipate problems getting it extended. Just make sure you don't cut it too close.

Yeah, I agree, just wanted to throw that little tidbit out there because, however small it may be, the possibility exists that it could happen.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
4) If traveling, can you stay on the military base for free?

No, but you can stay at the BEQ(Bachelor's Enlisted Quarters) for a lot cheaper than a hotel (usually something like $15-$25 a night) if they have room. If not, you can try the Navy Lodge on bases which is still a pretty good deal.

nugget81

pilot
2) What are some other great deals for active duty in terms of travel, and lodging (Is there a way to get really cheap flights as Active Duty)?
3) Any information that people may not think of who are not around military personel all day, any discounts or perks or special access to things that civilians are not able to obtain.

2) You can ask for military rates at hotels and on airlines. Sometimes they are a better deal, sometimes not.
3) If there is a base near by, you can get a DOD vehicle sticker for your car and use the on base facilities (Gym, NEX, Commissary, VX, BX, Medical, etc). You don't pay tax on items bought there (except gas), but again, you may be able to get a better deal out in town or on eBay.

Enjoy the time that you are BDCP....it goes quicker than you'd think!

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
2) What are some other great deals for active duty in terms of travel, and lodging (Is there a way to get really cheap flights as Active Duty)?

A lot of rental car companies will waive the "Under 25" restriction / fees for you (assuming that applies). Especially if you book your car through the USAA website. In fact, that's probably the best place to go for a comprehensive list of available discounts. Military.com also has some decent listings.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Speaking of leave...what if, hypothetically, a BDCP collegiate were to overstay his leave in Europe or something?

I'm planning on flying to Europe through Space-A, but only have about 20 days of leave. I'm just worried that, because of the unpredictable nature of Space-A, that I might be in Europe longer than I plan on, waiting for a flight or something.

You can have up to 10 negative days of leave. Maybe it is higher I can't remember off the top of my head.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Here's a question.

Now that I'm in BDCP (and paying for my last year of college myself), I wanted to try and declare my financial independence on my FAFSA.

I went ahead and selected "yes" for the question on my FAFSA (I went back and amended it) that asked if I was currently active duty in the Armed Forces, but no for the question that follows (asking if I'm a veteran - obviously not).

Since BDCP is a bit of a weird spot to be in, I'm not quite sure what to do so I was wondering how other BDCPers handled the situation.

Today I get a letter from my school that reads as follows:

The Michigan State University Office of Financial Aid has received the results of your 2008-2009 FAFSA. Review of the FAFSA data has determined that additional information is necessary to continue processing your application for financial aid.

1. Provide information abut the veteran's benefits you are receiving:

- Type of benefits: (None)
- Chapter number: (None)
- Amount per month: (None)
-Number of months of benefits between July 1, 2008 and June 30, 2009: (None)

2. Submit a copy of your Form DD-214 or documentation confirming current active duty military status. (I guess I could submit a copy of my enlistment contract? Not sure)

3. Submit a copy of your veterans' award letter. If you need a copy of the letter then please contact the Veterans Administration Office.

This is all uncharted territory for me, as I'm aware BDCPers are technically active duty and get full pay/medical, but I'm pretty sure we're not entitled to any sort of VA Benefits (as we're not veterans).

So, did anybody encounter anything like this from their school after they entered BDCP and, if so, how did you handle it?

Thanks.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You would have none because you are not a veteran. A DD214 is the discharge form. That you will get the day you graduate from OCS. Call up your financial aid office (or walk there) and talk to someone. BDCP is confusing and generally requires some clarification.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
You would have none because you are not a veteran. A DD214 is the discharge form. That you will get the day you graduate from OCS. Call up your financial aid office (or walk there) and talk to someone. BDCP is confusing and generally requires some clarification.

I figured those two things were the most likely answers, but I wasn't entirely sure (so I asked). So, how am I supposed to explain the situation to the financial aid office? My first instinct was to just put "N/A" for everything and simply attach a copy of my enlistment papers for proof of active duty. Do you have a better idea?

nugget81

pilot
Take a copy of your contract and talk to someone who knows what they're doing in financial aid. When they ask about your job in the military, tell them that you're active duty with orders to go to school, and that you don't receive any benefits like the GI Bill or the like. The FAFSA is a crappy form for an antiquated system, but you'll need to make do with what you've got. If you don't like what you hear from the first person you talk to, ask to take it up to a supervisor.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I encountered the same thing. First I needed to prove I was condsidered active duty to get a dicount at my school for classes, so I had to bring in an ID Card, and orders to several different people in Financial aid and the registrar's office. Then they wanted me to prove I wasnt getting the GI BILL or tuition assistance (so I could get a seperate scholarship) so I had to go back and show the papers I signed stating I waived my rights to them while in BDCP. My processor gave me copies of everything I signed, so It was a painless process producing the documentation.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I encountered the same thing. First I needed to prove I was condsidered active duty to get a dicount at my school for classes, so I had to bring in an ID Card, and orders to several different people in Financial aid and the registrar's office. Then they wanted me to prove I wasnt getting the GI BILL or tuition assistance (so I could get a seperate scholarship) so I had to go back and show the papers I signed stating I waived my rights to them while in BDCP. My processor gave me copies of everything I signed, so It was a painless process producing the documentation.

I am planning on walking into my financial aid office tomorrow (I'm so sick of sitting on hold for 45 minutes during the *summer*) with my "BDCP folder" that contains every and all pieces of paperwork surrounding my enlistment/BDCP process. I was just going to, like you said, find someone who knew what they were doing and explain until I got the answers I wanted. I'm assuming that with all of the documentation in-hand somebody there will have run across something similar before (military?) and will know what to do.

Thanks!