• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Final Selection Benefits/Restrictions

Aggie08SUPPO

I recently joined the ranks of BDCP with the Supply Corp. I was wondering besides the USAA $25,000 loan, what other benefits am I able to apply for?

1) On the FAFSA can I change to Active Duty?
2) What are some other great deals for active duty in terms of travel, and lodging (Is there a way to get really cheap flights as Active Duty)?
3) Any information that people may not think of who are not around military personel all day, any discounts or perks or special access to things that civilians are not able to obtain
i.e.- discounts on CHL's (concealed handgun licenses, I live in TX), ability or way to get firearms that civilians cannot.
4) If traveling, can you stay on the military base for free?

Restrictions
1) Are there any new laws that apply from MCUJ that didn't apply before hand? (Obviously do not do drugs in any way), but if you have friends that are officers, are you now bound to not fraternize with them?
2) Travel Restrictions
3) Lifestyle Restrictions- Must you get approval to engage in risky sports, i.e - skydiving, or if you would like to buy a motorcycle, must you go through some military way of obtaining one
4) What are some ways of losing eligibility of the BDCP, i.e- DWI, PI, failing a PRT ( I am working everyday on my fitness but these are just some general questions that I would like to ask here, and not my recruiter)
5) Anything I didn't think of

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I must thank all of you who post here with great information. This website allowed me to get many questions answered as I progressed through my package.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I recently joined the ranks of BDCP with the Supply Corp. I was wondering besides the USAA $25,000 loan, what other benefits am I able to apply for?

1) On the FAFSA can I change to Active Duty?
2) What are some other great deals for active duty in terms of travel, and lodging (Is there a way to get really cheap flights as Active Duty)?
3) Any information that people may not think of who are not around military personel all day, any discounts or perks or special access to things that civilians are not able to obtain
i.e.- discounts on CHL's (concealed handgun licenses, I live in TX), ability or way to get firearms that civilians cannot.
4) If traveling, can you stay on the military base for free?

Restrictions
1) Are there any new laws that apply from MCUJ that didn't apply before hand? (Obviously do not do drugs in any way), but if you have friends that are officers, are you now bound to not fraternize with them?
2) Travel Restrictions
3) Lifestyle Restrictions- Must you get approval to engage in risky sports, i.e - skydiving, or if you would like to buy a motorcycle, must you go through some military way of obtaining one
4) What are some ways of losing eligibility of the BDCP, i.e- DWI, PI, failing a PRT ( I am working everyday on my fitness but these are just some general questions that I would like to ask here, and not my recruiter)
5) Anything I didn't think of

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I must thank all of you who post here with great information. This website allowed me to get many questions answered as I progressed through my package.

That's a mouthful. Lets see.

1. Yes
2. Search the site for Space A travel
3. You get free tickets to Bush Gardens, Sea World, and a few other parks once a year. Movie discounts. Cheaper Oil changes at some places. etc etc. Do some research.
4. No, barracks and base housing are for people who actually work on the base and their families.:icon_wink

Restrictions

1. Good question. I'm not sure. Remember that you do now owe your officer friends their due respect.
2. You must take leave whenever you leave the district. Anything else is fine.
3. I don't own a motorcycle, but I'm doubting this highly.
4. The contract you signed (which I'm sure you still have) has everything you need to know in this regard. Don't take it lightly. Your recruiter can string you up by your thumbs if you mess around. Also keep in mind that your semester GPA also can't dip below a 2.7.
5. Most everything else can be found by searching the site.

fighterpfeif

2. You must take leave whenever you leave the district.

Just to double check what you mean. Are you talking about moving around from one Naval District to another one. Because if that is the case I am screwed (I go to school in the Minn. recruiting district, but spend the summer and other breaks at home in the Chicago recruiting district.)

The way I read and understand things is that you only have to take leave and get permission when you leave the country and that there may be travel restrictions upon what countries you can go to, since your security clearance is still pending. Also whenever you change your address you have to advise the recruiter of your new address (i.e. leaving school for the summer and coming home). I have no idea what you do about a vacation you might take (something longer than a day or two), but probably just call or leave an e-mail that you are going to be gone.

I could be totally wrong, but tiz what you posted confused me and I just want to make sure what you meant.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Just to double check what you mean. Are you talking about moving around from one Naval District to another one. Because if that is the case I am screwed (I go to school in the Minn. recruiting district, but spend the summer and other breaks at home in the Chicago recruiting district.)

The way I read and understand things is that you only have to take leave and get permission when you leave the country and that there may be travel restrictions upon what countries you can go to, since your security clearance is still pending. Also whenever you change your address you have to advise the recruiter of your new address (i.e. leaving school for the summer and coming home). I have no idea what you do about a vacation you might take (something longer than a day or two), but probably just call or leave an e-mail that you are going to be gone.

I could be totally wrong, but tiz what you posted confused me and I just want to make sure what you meant.

Yeah, you are right. You are on liberty within the US. But you still should contact the NRD of the state you are visiting. Leaving the US most certainly requires leave.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You must request permission to leave the country. Mexico and Canada is fine, but other stuff (China, Iran, etc.) will not fly.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The whole "marking active duty on FAFSA" thing could actually be a big deal. I got a 9k grant from one school, because I was considered "independent" of my parents for need based aid. You may also be able to get credit for active duty time. I got 7 hours because of my DD214, and what my STARS report said. Evidently I've had first aid and CPR at some point...:confused:

I did some skydiving while I was in NROTC and have a USPA jump license. I just got commissioned three weeks ago so I am wondering about what kind of approval I would need to continue in that sport. I know an Ensign who commissioned last year from my unit who was far into the sport with like 300 jumps so I don't if he was able to continue it upon entering flight training. IMO I'd say it is just as risky as entering flight training but I know that Naval Academy Mids are forbidden from taking up the sport. I'd like some input on this matter too.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
IMO I'd say it is just as risky as entering flight training but I know that Naval Academy Mids are forbidden from taking up the sport. I'd like some input on this matter too.

Where'd you hear this? We had an academy sponsored skydiving club...

From my summer cruise last year. Some 3rd class MID from the academy on the ship mentioned that but from what you say, I would doubt it would be true. He mentioned that some Mids died a few years back from doing the sport. The USAFA and USMA have parachuting teams that are sanctioned by the academies, so I don't know the rules with jumping from civilian drop zones.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Maybe things have changed, or they might have just been operating under an assumption. I had looked in to it, but it was pretty pricey. My room mate jumped a couple times. We had a brigade commander a while back that was pretty in to it. I remeber seeing pics of him jumping in SDBs somewhere.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I did some skydiving while I was in NROTC and have a USPA jump license. I just got commissioned three weeks ago so I am wondering about what kind of approval I would need to continue in that sport.

Just talk to your safety officer/whoever is your boss now. You'll have to fill out and ORM eval on it and go over it with the safety guy. I don't think there is a Navy-wide policy on it, most stuff like that in my experience is just regulated by command.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Speaking of leave...what if, hypothetically, a BDCP collegiate were to overstay his leave in Europe or something?

I'm planning on flying to Europe through Space-A, but only have about 20 days of leave. I'm just worried that, because of the unpredictable nature of Space-A, that I might be in Europe longer than I plan on, waiting for a flight or something.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Keep your chain of command informed on any issue that arises and they will work with you.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Keep your chain of command informed on any issue that arises and they will work with you.

Realize that you might be on the hook to buy a commercial ticket home if something happened and couldn't get a space-A flight back in time.