• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer to family members

phrogpilot73

The MGIB can't be transferred to family members, only the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You can convert MGIB benefits to Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, then transfer them. It's an important distinction, because there are things that the MGIB provides that the Post 9/11 doesn't. Flight training is at least one of them. I edited the thread title for accuracy.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I've been looking in to this and haven't been able to find an answer on something, so maybe someone can help. I know the limit for using the benefits is 36 months. If you take some time off in the middle of the degree program, does the clock keep running, or is that just 36 total months of use, not necessarily consequetively?

And while I am at it, I know they determine the tuition cap by using the highest state tuition for the state you are attending school in. What is you are living in... say... Japan and doing an online program? Anyone know how the tuition cap is determined in that situation?

phrogpilot73

As far as my research has led me to conclude, it's 36 months of USE... I believe there is a timeline to use up all the benefits (I read it somewhere), but I don't remember where I found it.

OC/EMC

it is 36 months of enrollment use. I began using some of my benefits in 2002-2004. I completed that degree and I still have over 25 months left.

One point to note. If you use all of your MGIB education benefits up, then switch over to Post-911 MGIB, you will be entitled to an additional 12 months of education benefits. This can only be obtained if you deplete your 36 months under the MGIB first.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
The MGIB can't be transferred to family members, only the Post 9/11 GI Bill. You can convert MGIB benefits to Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, then transfer them. It's an important distinction, because there are things that the MGIB provides that the Post 9/11 doesn't. Flight training is at least one of them. I edited the thread title for accuracy.
So how do you convert? I'm assuming I would need to since I came in under the MGIB ('98). I used about six months of benefits doing flight training in a 141 program. But now I would like to transfer enough benefits to my wife so she can obtain a bachelors degree. This brings up another question, should I only transfer enough months for her to finish up since I think it would more than likely be less than my remaining benefits. That way if there were any more left over I could transfer to my children some day or do unused months get rolled back to the service member?

OC/EMC

So how do you convert? I'm assuming I would need to since I came in under the MGIB ('98). I used about six months of benefits doing flight training in a 141 program. But now I would like to transfer enough benefits to my wife so she can obtain a bachelors degree. This brings up another question, should I only transfer enough months for her to finish up since I think it would more than likely be less than my remaining benefits. That way if there were any more left over I could transfer to my children some day or do unused months get rolled back to the service member?

The wife and I are in the process of switching my left over bennys to her. I went to the VA website and switched over to Post-911 GI bill back in June. It took about 2-3 weeks before I got a letter in the mail saying I was good to go (that was in early July). When you go to switch over the bennys, you can only choose from people you have listed as dependents in DEERS. I got the impression that its a done deal after you transfer to a dependant, but I can't exactly recall all the verbage I read during her application...sorry.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
The wife and I are in the process of switching my left over bennys to her. I went to the VA website and switched over to Post-911 GI bill back in June. It took about 2-3 weeks before I got a letter in the mail saying I was good to go (that was in early July). When you go to switch over the bennys, you can only choose from people you have listed as dependents in DEERS. I got the impression that its a done deal after you transfer to a dependant, but I can't exactly recall all the verbage I read during her application...sorry.
I didn't see anything about "switching/[converting]" on the website. Do you have to apply or am I missing it?

jake954

I'm a STA-21 applicant and I know that in the past they have said that Montgomery GI Bill benefits go away when you are STA-21. If I role the 9/11 to a dependent and then go to school do I keep the benefits for dependents? Just wondering if anyone has information. Thank you.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I'm a STA-21 applicant and I know that in the past they have said that Montgomery GI Bill benefits go away when you are STA-21. If I role the 9/11 to a dependent and then go to school do I keep the benefits for dependents? Just wondering if anyone has information. Thank you.

They don't go away. In fact now you can even use them while in the program. This was just recently discussed here, I'd give you the link but I'm on my iPhone and typing is already fun enough.

OC/EMC

Be careful about your sources. As a general rule, anytime I hear a 'they' reference, I take it as an invitation to look it up for myself just to be sure. You will be amazed by how much bad gouge 'they' spread through the Navy.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I would HIGHLY recommend going to your base education facility and talk with them before doing ANYTHING! There's a lot of confusion on this right now and there is a ton of stuff in flux...changing on a month to month basis. A couple of things of note:

1. You can't switch "some" money over to the 9/11 bill and keep your MGIB at the same time. If you want the 9/11 benefits, then you sign a form and they transfer ALL of your money over to the 9/11 program. You can NEVER switch it back...

2. 9/11 bill only applies to colleges of higher learning. You can't use the money to attend a trade school, or Vocational School, or like was mentioned above, attend a school to gain flight quals.

3. You also can't use the 9/11 for a distance education or on-line degree. You have to actually attend class at a University.

4. Like was mentioned above, if you have a family (wife and kids)...when you vow to do the 9/11 program, you need to put your ENTIRE family (only those currently enrolled in DEERs are eligible) on the roster for benefits AND assign at least a small portion of your money to them. Reason being, if you think you may give them some of your 9/11 benefits in the future, they need to be on the list that you submit when you ask to transfer programs (MGIB to 9/11). You can cancel their benefits at ANY time (they're getting scholarships now, you want to use the benefits for yourself, etc). But you can't add them at a later date.

5. Research the different programs before committing to the 9/11 program. It may make more sense to stick with MGIB money-wise. You get like $50,000 total with it. If you go to the 9/11 program, the benefits are completely different, as is the pay out. If you're on active duty and you or your family member uses the benefits, it only covers the tuition amount (and possibly only a portion of it a that). If you're no longer in the military, the person receiving the benefits will get BAH AND a book allowance too.

6. I believe MGIB and 9/11 is ONLY good for 10 years after you leave active duty. At 10 years, the benefits STOP...no matter if you're currently using them or not.

7. A kid must be like 18 in order to use the benefits, but can't be older than 26.

8. If you enrolled/enroll in MGIB and payed your $1200 and decide to go with the 9/11 program instead, you can get that $1200 back.

9. Did you know that with the MGIB, if you "plus up" your MGIB by paying $600 more, you're entitled to an increase of $5400 of benefits on top of the MGIB? You lose your $600 (and the $5400 addition) if you switch to 9/11.

10. If you already used the Reserve GI Bill (and possibly the MGIB) for the full 36 months (I think?), and you qualify for another program (MGIB for Reservists now Active Duty or 9/11 bill for those that already used the MGIB), you may qualify for an ADDITIONAL (not to exceed 48 months total) 12 months of benefits with the new program. So, although I used the Reserve GI Bill in college, now that I'm on Active Duty I qualify for the MGIB OR the 9/11 bill for 12 more months (if I make my $1200 buy-in...as well as the additional $5400 "plus up" if I pay $600 more). This I'm meeting with the education department over...should know for certain in the next few days.

The point is, you NEED to talk to a pro at the education office BEFORE you commit to the 9/11 program. It could cost you a ton!

There's a ton of stuff to be sure about before making an IRREVERSIBLE decision!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would HIGHLY recommend going to your base education facility and talk with them before doing ANYTHING! There's a lot of confusion on this right now and there is a ton of stuff in flux...changing on a month to month basis.......The point is, you NEED to talk to a pro at the education office BEFORE you commit to the 9/11 program. It could cost you a ton!

Excellent advice, we got a brief here at work the other day and a lot fo the same info that you listed here was passed. I would advise the same caustion, whilethe new program is great the Montgomery GI Bill is still a better deal with a few things, especially things like flight school/training.

A good example of why you want to talk to the education folks on base or the VA is this:

3. You also can't use the 9/11 for a distance education or on-line degree. You have to actually attend class at a University.

We were briefed that you could use it for distance or on-line courses but at least one class per semester had to be attended in person. The example they used was you could take 3 on-line courses and one in person for a semester and pay for it all with the new GI Bill. You still have to attend school but supplement it with on-line courses. But like jboomer said, this stuff is changing quite often now and you would have to talk to the education or VA folks to get the latest. Both could have been right, just dependent on when we were briefed.

All great gouge though and a good indication of how careful everyone should be before they go changing stuff around and screwing themselves over. A great benefit though, I will certainly take advantage of it.