• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible to take leave during API?

AnonymousGuy

None
Can one take leave during API at all, or would it mean destroying one's chances of passing? I was hoping to take 2-3 days, but I won't do it if it will hurt me in the long run.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Can one take leave during API at all, or would it mean destroying one's chances of passing? I was hoping to take 2-3 days, but I won't do it if it will hurt me in the long run.

You'll find out NASC's current leave policy when you check in. API is 6 weeks long. Plan on taking leave either before you start or after you finish. If you are in one of the pools before or after you class up and want to take a few days, it shouldn't be a problem.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I took weekend leave (Friday afternoon to Monday morning) in the middle of API, but that was almost two years ago.

Just remember that if you take leave during API you're probably not going to have any ground to stand on if your grades end up being sub par.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
During API, it's on a case by case basic. Emergency only really. Before and after is less of an issue.

When you get there go talk to a LT in flight management & you'll definitely want to take it before you get to primary. I just started primary in Corpus and they pretty much just snicker anytime leave is mentioned (except of course emergencies)

81montedriver

pilot
I went on my honeymoon after the academic portion was over. But that was only because I lucked out that that was also the Christmas break!

MidWestEwo

None
I took leave Friday afternoon after flight gear issue to go home for the weekend for my brother's wedding. I got back Sunday night and went right into land survival on Monday. I would not suggest taking leave during academics, because to get decent grades in API, you should be studying at least 6 to 8 hours per day on Saturdays and Sundays... That could have just been my requirement so take it for what it is worth if you think you are super brilliant.

gotta_fly

pilot
I took a weekend off in the middle of academics to go home for my little brother's Eagle Scout ceremony. Studying was not an issue because of the 8 hours I spent on Friday night and Sunday travelling by commercial air. Talk about limiting distractions, that was probably some of the best studying of my life. No movie, no music, no free food or drink, and a deuce-and-a-half member of the gentler sex between me and the lav. Like a lot of other things in flight school (and life) if you don't suck, doors will open.

That said, I'm still a couple weeks out from checking into my first operational squadron so it could still catch up with me.

MidWestEwo

None
I took a weekend off in the middle of academics to go home for my little brother's Eagle Scout ceremony. Studying was not an issue because of the 8 hours I spent on Friday night and Sunday travelling by commercial air. Talk about limiting distractions, that was probably some of the best studying of my life. No movie, no music, no free food or drink, and a deuce-and-a-half member of the gentler sex between me and the lav. Like a lot of other things in flight school (and life) if you don't suck, doors will open.

That said, I'm still a couple weeks out from checking into my first operational squadron so it could still catch up with me.

I am so ADD I don't think I could study in an airport or on a plane. Power to you if you can section off time to do that on a trip home though. I saw the ability they give you to take leave on the weekends in API as a big noose to hang one's self with.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Just don't plan on taking leave unless it's an emergency...or you can squeeze it in during the Holidays. The tempo is pretty fast these days anyway. You'll also have a healthy amount of leave saved up for some shennanigans in between phases of training.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I looked at student leave chits, it was case-by-case. Academics is only a few weeks long...there's not many good reasons to take leave during that little chunk of your life that aren't either an emergency or something you would have known about well in advance (e.g., brother's wedding). In general, we were reluctant to approve them. If it's an emergency, we were more likely to just roll you than let you take leave - and rolling API classes is not a big deal at all. You were in one class, you'll be in another, no foul. Otherwise, we'd look at your grades thus far and schedule and how far you're going. Asking to take leave until Sunday night, flying through ATL, exam on Monday at 0630 and 86 average...ain't gonna happen, slugger. If you've been doing well, and especially if you're done with academics, fairly good chance of approval.

Might be a good place to bring up your reputation proceeding you. Reputation is everything in Naval aviation, even in (maybe especially in) flight school. If you've pissed excellence, you have a much better chance of getting what you want when you're asking for something special or hit a rough patch. If you've been mediocre, or have a record of stupid fuckups (missing muster, being late for events, blowing something off, fucking up the easy stuff, in other words), you're going to get a lot of doors slammed in your face.

MrsIvey320

My husband is starting API next month and has to report on Dec. 3rd. What are the schedule's like for the holidays? (This isn't my first, second, hell even third school with the Navy that he has been though either.) I ask because we have 3 kids and are trying to plan Christmas around what will be going on with him. I understand the leave policies and such so I was just curious. Thanks!

D-Roc

LTJG
I believe Christmas leave is from Dec.17 through Jan.3. If he is reporting down here on the 3rd he probably won't class up until after Christmas break.