• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible DQ?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In general, admitting drug use or minor legal shenanigans might or might not cause you to be disqualified; depends on the circumstances, your attitude, and the discretion of the board.

Lying about it and getting caught will most certainly disqualify you. Come clean about everything when asked, let the chips fall where they may.

zbeasley

Hey guys, I am planning on enlisting as an officer in September. First off, thanks for taking the time to read this, I can imagine some of you are pretty stretched for time as it is.

A little bit about me, I graduated from the University of Kansas in 2007 with a degree in Journalism and a minor in classical antiquities. For the past two years I have been working for my Dad's logging company in Sierra Leone. While working for my Dad was rewarding, I wanted more adventure in my life; that's when I started looking into the Navy, specifically as a Naval Flight Officer. Joining the Navy has always been a desire of mine; I have always held the men and women of our armed services in high esteem, to join their ranks would a great honor for me. I excelled at the university level; I made stellar grades, was a leader in many extra-circular activities, and stayed involved in volunteer efforts.

While I think I would be a good candidate for OCS, I do have one concern. I did experiment with marijuana on a handful of occasions while I was in school. Even though this was years ago, and I completely regret doing it, I certainly do not want to lie in MEPs (or risk my integrity). Given that this happened a few years ago, would I still need a drug waiver, or would I just need to explain my actions in my SF-86? Is prior drug use of this nature (minimal, experimental use) a key issue for investigators, or are they more concerned about police and financial records? I have scoured many post on this site and just wanted a little personal clarification (assuming you have the time).

I've always been told that the best jobs are the ones where you derive a genuine feeling of enjoyment. I feel the Navy may be that job, I would hate to be barred from this dream for something that happened years ago.

Thanks for your time - Zak

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....I do have one concern. I did experiment with marijuana on a handful of occasions while I was in school. Even though this was years ago, and I completely regret doing it, I certainly do not want to lie in MEPs (or risk my integrity). Given that this happened a few years ago, would I still need a drug waiver, or would I just need to explain my actions in my SF-86? Is prior drug use of this nature (minimal, experimental use) a key issue for investigators, or are they more concerned about police and financial records?

Don't lie about it, be truthful and you should be fine. I have known plenty of guys who have experimented with marijuana and were flying in the military and held Top Secret clearances. Anything harder than marijuana and more than experimenting is where you start running into serious issues.

Lying about it will catch up to you and is often considered worse than admitting to the act, it is an integrity issue in an career where that is extremely important.

SWO406

pro-rec SWO
I almost thought i had written this post myself. DukeAndrewJ's history is virtually identical to mine, i bailed on a phd and left school with an MS, drug use (3x, last time was 2 yr ago), MIP at 19 yo, pretty much everything.

I applied for the NUPOC program a number of months ago but wasn't offered an interview in DC, i am now reapplying for a SWO slot. I had a reasonably strong application, my recruiter and processor are pretty certain what kept me out of the nukes was my MIP and prior drug use. However, i was still granted a drug waiver before my application was submitted. Understand that putting things likes these on your application IS going to hurt your chances of getting selected, even if it doesn't automatically disqualify you.

As far as an MIP is concerned, you absolutely need to divulge that information. Like drug use, an MIP is not going to look good on an application, but shouldn't be a serious issue. it is very far removed from anything that would disqualify you. any court record will be the first thing that will show up during a background investigation, and if you "forgot" to include this information on your application or SF-86, there is little chance of being granted a security clearance.

I am not surprised that your recruiter is hinting for you to ignore your situation with adderall. I have gotten the feeling that a significant amount of applicants are being less than genuine about their history of drug use, whatever the type. Abuse of prescription drugs on that scale is not going to be a DQ (they are looking for something Rush Limbaugh-esqe), but again, it isn't going to help your application.

Basically, if you are completely honest, you're gonna have some negatives on your application and might not get pro-req'd. however, if you are selected, you needn't worry about getting a final select, if you are pro-rec'd, the navy has effetively already decided that you are eligible for a clearance (provided that the subsequent background investigation doesn't turn up something you didn't include on your application).

on the other hand, if you lied your ass off on the application, you would stand a better chance at getting pro-rec'd, but might get fucked over before you get a final select based on the information that a background investigation uncovered, and that you neglected to divulge on your app.

i hope that answers some questions.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Glad to see there are others out there like myself, SWO406. At least you stayed to get your masters - once I allowed myself to think about the Navy, the thought of another year in the lab is unbearable. Then again, my dad only made it 7 days before he, very much inebriated, packed up his stuff and said goodbye to grad school. He was just impressed that I made the decision sober.

for better or for worse, it's all out there now. I just submitted my application - faults and all. ASTB later this week and then all I can do is play the waiting game. From what I have read on here, it can be a long game.

it is a little aggravating knowing that there are those out there that may get by hiding some mistakes, but hopefully we will be able to laugh about this in Newport in a few months.

navygirl7

No lying about drugs!!!

Absolutely 100% do not lie about doing drugs. If you get caught, and you will get caught, you will very likely get discharged.

While my husband was at the DLI (language training), one of his classmates was caught lying on his application about past drug use (the classmate had been in for 8 months before getting caught), and that classmate was immediately pulled out of the DLI. Last I heard, he was facing a dishonorable discharge.

The way they see it, if you lie about it, 1) you have no integrity, and 2) you are ashamed of it, and therefore susceptible to blackmail.

Instead, tell them why you did it, why you regret doing it, and why you will never, ever do it again.

zbeasley

Absolutely 100% do not lie about doing drugs. If you get caught, and you will get caught, you will very likely get discharged.

While my husband was at the DLI (language training), one of his classmates was caught lying on his application about past drug use (the classmate had been in for 8 months before getting caught), and that classmate was immediately pulled out of the DLI. Last I heard, he was facing a dishonorable discharge.

The way they see it, if you lie about it, 1) you have no integrity, and 2) you are ashamed of it, and therefore susceptible to blackmail.

Instead, tell them why you did it, why you regret doing it, and why you will never, ever do it again.

Wow, 8 months in AND THEN you get caught? I don't understand how something like that could go so long and not be noticed. It seems to me like they would catch that stuff before you shipped out to OCS.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It takes a while for the clearance investigators to get around to interviewing all your stoner buds from BITD. Eight months is pretty good, actually.

zbeasley

It takes a while for the clearance investigators to get around to interviewing all your stoner buds from BITD. Eight months is pretty good, actually.

Fascinating; I had no idea one's clearance took so long. I guess I just figured that once you got your Final Select, your clearance had been approved and the investigation was over (suppose that's what Iget for assuming).

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Hello, rather than start a new thread I thought I would ask here...

I have been honest to my recruiter about drug usage and have not lied on my application. The part that I don't feel comfortable with is that the application asks you to list drugs you have done in the last 7 years or since turning 16, whichever is shorter. If I did drugs BEFORE turning 16, would it be better for me to note that on the application?

I know that not checking the box is technically not lying, but I don't feel comfortable because I DID drugs and I should be judged based on the mistakes I have made. I know it will be a negative on my application, but I feel like I am lying because it appears as if I am clean (it has been 6 years since I have smoked pot, and it was less than 15 times). I don't want to go through my career feeling as if I have earned something based on a lie.

*I did a search, but I couldn't find any info on people who did drugs before they turned 16, only people post 16. Thank you in advance*

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Actually in this case, unless I'm misunderstanding you completely, checking that particular box would be lying, no? If you haven't smoked pot since turning 16, and you turned 16 less than 7 years ago, checking the box saying that you did doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to know about the drugs you did before you turned 16 or more than 7 years ago, they would have said "list all drugs you have done EVER in your entire life." Why claim to be guilty of something you're apparently not guilty of? I'm not saying lie about having done drugs if you're asked, by any means. Tell the truth about it. But don't answer a question incorrectly because you feel like you deserve to be judged for past mistakes that they're not asking you about. That's like answering yes to a question like "have you ever stolen a car?" because you stole a pack of gum once, and that's still stealing. That's not what they asked you. If/when they wanna know about the drugs you did before you turned 16, they'll ask and you can answer truthfully.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they come asking you about why you didn't disclose drug use, telling them, "well, technically, if you look at what the form asks..." won't help.

There's a time for evasiveness and obfuscation. This is not one of those times. Come clean about everything now.

I'm assuming that by drug use before 15 years old, you mean a couple of joints and such. If you were a hard or frequent user at that age, what to put on an application is probably not your biggest life problem.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
If they come asking you about why you didn't disclose drug use, telling them, "well, technically, if you look at what the form asks..." won't help.

There's a time for evasiveness and obfuscation. This is not one of those times. Come clean about everything now.

I'm assuming that by drug use before 15 years old, you mean a couple of joints and such. If you were a hard or frequent user at that age, what to put on an application is probably not your biggest life problem.

No sir, it was only maybe a two week span in which I smoked pot when I was 15. I regret the decision, but I was 15 and stupid.

I never had the intention of checking the box, because that would be lying. I just feel as if using the "well it was before I turned 16, so they will never be the wiser" excuse is just as dishonest as lying about prior use.

I have a MEPS appointment coming up, and I am sure they will ask me there. I just want it to be noted on the application / SF86 so that I can be upfront about it. Thanks Uncle Fester.

SWO406

pro-rec SWO
the thought of another year in the lab is unbearable.

the mere sight of a pipette or a gel now makes me nauseous.

on a good note, i am signing my commissioning papers on wednesday, proof that people like us with a little different background are welcome in the navy. good luck on the ASTB; if you're like me you took some physics in college and if you can remember your mechanics you should do pretty well.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
the mere sight of a pipette or a gel now makes me nauseous.

on a good note, i am signing my commissioning papers on wednesday, proof that people like us with a little different background are welcome in the navy. good luck on the ASTB; if you're like me you took some physics in college and if you can remember your mechanics you should do pretty well.

congrats man!

haha I get to spend all day today doing cell culture work in the hood. I can't wait for there to NOT be pipettes with my name on them.

no physics in college, but remembered enough from high school to get a 64 OAR. Every time we try to submit my application though, something new gets brought up. Now my recruiter is trying to figure out if I need to get a waiver. I thought the wait for a pro-rec would be hard, but the wait just to submit my application is killing me.