• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Possible DQ?

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
So like my father did 40 years ago, I decided grad school is boring me to death and I want to pursue a career as an officer in the Navy. And like many other posters on here, I am a bit nervous about mistakes made in college.

I know this stuff gets brought up A LOT and I am sure you experienced users are tired of this, but I have read all the threads I could find on drug use etc but haven't found this question before.

I smoked marijuana a handful of times in college (~5) which I hear is not an automatic DQ if I have a good application, but I am curious about whether using adderall without a prescription will make me dead in the water. I don't have ADD, but on 4-5 occassions in college a friend gave me adderall when I had to pull all-nighters because it helps keep you awake. I only did it my junior year, and senior year I decided I didn't want to rely on a crutch to get through tough nights so I never used it again. It's been 2 years since I did this.

I have received some dubious advice about not revealing certain information on my application, but I am not about to commit a felony. I figure it is better to earn a rejection letter than cheat my way in.

I did pretty well in college (3.4 GPA with a BS in biology) and now I have a 3.9 in grad school.

I have discussed it with my recruiter but I get the impression he would just rather not hear about. Anyone have any advice?

Oh yeah, one other incident: when I was 20 I received a citation for underage drinking. I went through some silly class and got it taken off my record, but I am sure they could still find it if they wanted to. Will all these little things be enough to keep me out? I sure hope not because cruising out on the ocean sounds a heck of a lot better than reading about proteins for the next 5 years. For what it is worth, I am not trying to fly - Surface warfare is my first choice.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have received some dubious advice about not revealing certain information on my application, but I am not about to commit a felony. I figure it is better to earn a rejection letter than cheat my way in.

Looks like you've already got your answer. Apply, see what they say, and if you get in congrats. If you don't, good on you for maintaining your integrity. Seriously. There are plenty of other places that will let you serve/get out of grad school with a few spots on your record.

nugget61

pilot
Looks like you've already got your answer. Apply, see what they say, and if you get in congrats. If you don't, good on you for maintaining your integrity. Seriously. There are plenty of other places that will let you serve/get out of grad school with a few spots on your record.

Out of curiosity, if this doesn't work, can one enlist, prove their worth and then do STA21 or something like that to get an officer slot?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of curiosity, if this doesn't work, can one enlist, prove their worth and then do STA21 or something like that to get an officer slot?

I would suggest not enlisting first if being an officer is your goal. With his college degree, he can enlist, but might not be allowed to route a request chit or his officer package until he gets in-rate qualifications and/or his warfare pin. This could take quite awhile. As far as STA-21, most of the guys going for that (that I saw and boarded) were all E-5 and above, a lot of schooling done already, and double warfare qual'd. Extremely competitive program and just because one has a college or graduate degree doesn't automatically make them uber competitive from the enlisted ranks. My opinion.

torpedo0126

its been awhile since I went through the whole application process...does prior drug use weigh in on the application, or just the security clearance, or Both?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
With his college degree, he can enlist, but might not be allowed to route a request chit or his officer package until he gets in-rate qualifications and/or his warfare pin.

Thats spot on. If you are going to enlist as a stepping stone to becoming an officer, expect to be enlisted for at least a year (maybe longer depending on your rate, and if you go Aircrew, even longer) before anyone will even entertain you submitting and officer package.

das

Contributor
its been awhile since I went through the whole application process...does prior drug use weigh in on the application, or just the security clearance, or Both?

Various Navy commission application processes will ask questions such as:

a. In the last 7 years, has your use of alcoholic beverages or drugs resulted in treatment, rehabilitation or counseling?
b. Since age 16 or in the last 7 years, whichever is shorter, have you illegally used any controlled substance?
c. Have you ever illegally used any controlled substance while employed in a sensitive position?
d. In the last 7 years, have you been involved in illegal drug activity for your own profit or the profit of another?
e. Have you ever been arrested for illegal drug use?
f. Do you fully recognize the negative influence of drug abuse and do you reject future use of illegal drugs?

...so depending on the timeframe, it could be a factor for both the application process itself and a security clearance.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Don't let anyone discourage you from applying. Expect a lot interviews and painful written statements. But in the end, it's a worthy goal and nothing is written in stone.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
I appreciate all the support on here. I don't think I have ever wanted anything so much before. I am studying hard for the ASTB and putting together the rest of the application. I guess all I can hope for is that the Navy sees the good with the bad and trusts I have what it takes.

revan1986

Pro Rec SWO
You'll be ok, just be sure to admit your marijuana use on all apps. Boards are willing to overlook this if it's a reasonable number. Good luck

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
... when I was 20 I received a citation for underage drinking. I went through some silly class and got it taken off my record, but I am sure they could still find it if they wanted to. Will all these little things be enough to keep me out?

No, but the attitude about breaking the law could. I suggest rephrasing how you relay the above info. Disregarding rules/laws (no matter how stupid) will not earn you "cool" points with a board.

DukeAndrewJ

Divo without a division
Contributor
Yeah I appreciate the advice - I suppose I should have been more careful with my wording. On my application I was not so flippant when describing the drinking citation and I am certainly not expecting "cool points" for getting caught with a Coors

torpedo0126

when I was stashed at the NROTC unit, i remember finding out that those going nuke could not have smoked weed more than 10x...i found that slightly entertaining.