• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Port choices

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
As a spouse, I would totally recommend SD over Mayport. Having survived my husband's first DivO tour at Mayport, I have told him that he ought to do everything he can to avoid going back there. Great base, good ship, great CoC, but miserable location. Then again, we are both from the north and hot, humid weather is not our cup of tea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You mean to say traffic may suck as bad as it did when we had a carrier there?

Even after the carrier left, traffic was ridiculous. Finally, the Base CO (who was very responisve) had a revolt of unit COs one day at an all-base CO meeting. In the next few weeks, lanes would be opened when traffic backed up (instead of random gate guards just shooting the breeze with their buddies) and traffic flow was left open longer in the morning.

As much as I shook my fist at that base's gate system at the time, I long for it now instead of having to wait 25+ minutes to get from my office to the Coronado bridge on a normal day.

BackOrdered

Contributor
All that said, nothing, repeat, nothing beats Norfolk. You should have to do a driving risk assessment just to come into work. Hell, lets just base all 11 carriers there, too.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Even after the carrier left, traffic was ridiculous. Finally, the Base CO (who was very responisve) had a revolt of unit COs one day at an all-base CO meeting. In the next few weeks, lanes would be opened when traffic backed up (instead of random gate guards just shooting the breeze with their buddies) and traffic flow was left open longer in the morning.

As much as I shook my fist at that base's gate system at the time, I long for it now instead of having to wait 25+ minutes to get from my office to the Coronado bridge on a normal day.

My personal favorite at Jax is how they drop the number of lanes open from 3 to 2 at 755, regardless of whether or not traffic backs up onto 17. Like the number of cars coming on base at 0800 is magically 1/3 as many. Retarded.

MasterBates

Looking back, I liked Norfolk better than Mayport.. I'm not sure how much of that had to do with my living situation and commute.. Coming in from the JIA area (Oceanway) before wonderwood sucked.

If I was a single JO in Mayport, like i was in Norfolk, I probably would have lived in Jax or Neptune beach and had a great time.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal favorite at Jax is how they drop the number of lanes open from 3 to 2 at 755, regardless of whether or not traffic backs up onto 17. Like the number of cars coming on base at 0800 is magically 1/3 as many. Retarded.

Last homecycle I got voluntold to be part of some base focus group run by some out of town CAPT types to discuss base efficiency and things that would improve morale, etc. This is one of the things we specifically brought up.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Last homecycle I got voluntold to be part of some base focus group run by some out of town CAPT types to discuss base efficiency and things that would improve morale, etc. This is one of the things we specifically brought up.

Good to see they took your suggestions to heart.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

This was the same problem at NRB. After the "meeting of angry COs," it got much better.

NZY has a slightly different problem where they have 3 lanes having to dump into 2 lanes for no reason other than they close one of the "wrong" lanes. I've submitted the feedback, as did my LPO, apparently. I'm sure they'll get "right" on that.