• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Port choices

exhelodrvr

pilot
Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Tawny

If you're on a budget: Graham Six Grapes; Fonseca Bin 27, if you can't find Six Grapes.

Oh sorry, I thought this thread was about something else.

I say go for Japan. San Dog will be there in 10 years, and Pearl isn't going away anytime soon. You never know when those expensive, imperialistic overseas bases will go away.

Any port in a storm?

H60Gunner

Contributor
Go for Japan. Poppongi......... You won't regret it! I did my last tour there, up in Misawa, awesome.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you pick last night at USNA? What do you select? Or, are ship selecting with NROTC?

Timing with USNA Se;ection Night (below) is merely coincidence as his prior posts are ROTC related.

web_100211-N-3066M-305.jpg

100211-N-3066M-305 ANNAPOLIS, Md. (Feb. 11, 2010) Midshipman 1st Class Andrew J. Ventresca, from Chalfunt, Pa., chooses orders to the guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) during Ship Selection Night at the U.S. Naval Academy. Midshipmen from the Naval Academy's Class of 2010 selected orders to their first ships, a major milestone before joining the fleet after graduation and commissioning May 28. (U.S. Navy photo by Midshipman 4th Class Dominic Montez/Released)

phrogpilot73

Go to Japan while you are young and unemcumbered by mortgages and a family. You frequently deploy for short periods while in Japan, and with no one to worry about back home, you will be free to immerse yourself in all that is the Far East. There will always be time in your career for SD/Jax/CONUS...
Good advice, but I'm damn glad that PSW didn't take it! When she redes'd from SWO to IW - she had two duty stations available to her - Japan and Ft. Meade. I met her after she had been at Ft. Meade for a year.

For the OP - based on the above, pick what your gut tells you! Enjoy the ride!

USCGSSO

Why aren't you considering Pearl? You can't go wrong with Hawaii or SD.

And stay away from FFGs if you can.
Why no FFG's? I'm a former Coastie applying for SWO- I was looking at frigates because of the similar size (and sometimes missions) of a cutter. Thanks.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Why no FFG's? I'm a former Coastie applying for SWO- I was looking at frigates because of the similar size (and sometimes missions) of a cutter. Thanks.

FFGs are underfunded and thus a headache to upkeep. Many parts are also no longer being made.

It's also a dying platform and no Aegis. Your first tour training is better suited on a DDG or larger.

If you are interested in similar missions, try the new LCS, but I would also warn against it for a first tour.

USCGSSO

FFGs are underfunded and thus a headache to upkeep. Many parts are also no longer being made.

It's also a dying platform and no Aegis. Your first tour training is better suited on a DDG or larger.

If you are interested in similar missions, try the new LCS, but I would also warn against it for a first tour.

So shoot for Aegis platforms for 1st tour- got it. Thanks for the heads up.

BigRed389

None
Is it possible to get on a PC for your 1st tour?

No. Pretty sure same applies to LCS.

To put it bluntly, with only 3 1110's assigned, one of whom is the CO, they don't have the space for deadweight nonquals.

Coming out of a first tour, the expectations are that you OJT to pick up the basics: learn how to drive and navigate a ship, basic engineering, DivO admin/maintenance, and general non-specific warfare stuff.
And generally speaking, smaller ships offer better opportunities to get good at those fundamentals, because you have less bodies competing for driving time, and less emphasis on "specific combat stuff".

The best thing you can do with your first tour, IMO, is to just focus on SWO and EOOW. Once you've paid those dues, have fun with your 2nd tour.
And you can seriously go off the deep end with your 2nd tour: I know a guy who got picked up for NGLO his 2nd tour and worked as a JTAC with MARSOC.

BigRed389

None
A buddy of mine on the Independence said Academy first tours are showing up and trying to earn pins.

That's cool. I was on Independence a few months ago, didn't see any ENS's onboard. I guess with the number we plan to buy it was inevitable they were going to open it up to first tours.

That could actually be the ideal first tour IMO.

BackOrdered

Contributor
That's cool. I was on Independence a few months ago, didn't see any ENS's onboard. I guess with the number we plan to buy it was inevitable they were going to open it up to first tours.

That could actually be the ideal first tour IMO.

I just double checked and yeah, there are most definately first tour Ensigns on both ships and all crews. The "best and brightest" from the Academy and ROTC are eligible. The Ensigns perceive it as career enhancing, and any selective billet is for that matter. One wonders if such an unconventional ship with small sea legs is the best place for a first tour Ensign? We shall see...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I'd just like to point out that no one has plugged Mayport yet. As a former resident of Mayport...

I would go to SD.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'd just like to point out that no one has plugged Mayport yet. As a former resident of Mayport...

I would go to SD.

I lived near Mayport most of my life and was stationed there briefly. I had a great time, although I would like to see what the ARG coming soon will do for the area.

Ahh yes, SD. I've heard nothing but great things from all stationed there.