• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Poor Man's Machine gun?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can easily get the M9 in California. It is the M9A1 that presents a challenge.

Wasn't that the original discussion?

As far as AR15's go, the only way to get a real one in California over a counter top and not out of some thug's trunk that I know of is to purchase the lower reciever, bolt carrier, and upper reciever groups seprately from a supplier that also has a location in another state where AR15's are legal.

Highly recommend you don't do this.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as AR15's go, the only way to get a real one in California over a counter top and not out of some thug's trunk that I know of is to purchase the lower reciever, bolt carrier, and upper reciever groups seprately from a supplier that also has a location in another state where AR15's are legal.

So basically, the only way to get a "real" AR-15 in CA is to break the law. S-M-R-T. Smart. I'm with Fly Navy on this one... Don't do it, but if you do, document it so we have something to laugh at when/if you get busted.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, question for you Californian's/-ite's. Can a person that previously owns an AR15 in a different state, i.e., Texas (or wherever), bring that AR15 with him if he moves to California?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, question for you Californian's/-ite's. Can a person that previously owns an AR15 in a different state, i.e., Texas (or wherever), bring that AR15 with him if he moves to California?

Yes, if you are NOT a resident of California and you receive PCS orders to California, you can apply for a Military Assault Weapons Permit. It is not published on the CADOJ website, you must call their Assault Weapons division to get the application. If you choose to reside in CA after your orders expire, the permit then expires and you must surrender your weapons or remove your weapons from the state. CA is a terrible, TERRIBLE state for firearms.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Yes, if you are NOT a resident of California and you receive PCS orders to California, you can apply for a Military Assault Weapons Permit. It is not published on the CADOJ website, you must call their Assault Weapons division to get the application. If you choose to reside in CA after your orders expire, the permit then expires and you must surrender your weapons or remove your weapons from the state. CA is a terrible, TERRIBLE state for firearms.

Are these permits generally granted or is it a hit or miss type thing? I'm in the middle of my first AR build, and while I likely won't even end up in California I'd like to know how things work out there.

snake020

Contributor

Anyone know the rules for LEOs?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are these permits generally granted or is it a hit or miss type thing? I'm in the middle of my first AR build, and while I likely won't even end up in California I'd like to know how things work out there.

Your guess is as good as mine. It's California.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know the rules for LEOs?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but any provisions for LEOs in weapons laws doesn't mean Average Joe LEO can get those weapons. They would be for official business only, not personal ownership. In other words, purchasing for the department.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well some of us were raised in the communist republic of california...:(

year 2027... slingshots will be the only weapons available for public use....if and only if they don't have a retractable or folding stock. slingshots with more than a 10-ball-bearing capacity will be illegal. ;) freakin' cali.

snake020

Contributor
Not sure exactly what you're asking, but any provisions for LEOs in weapons laws doesn't mean Average Joe LEO can get those weapons. They would be for official business only, not personal ownership. In other words, purchasing for the department.

As a LEO invading CA's favelas of Los Angeles and Oakland, you need high quality assault weapons in the line of business and self defense, no?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a LEO invading CA's favelas of Los Angeles and Oakland, you need high quality assault weapons in the line of business and self defense, no?

Some CA police departments have AR-15s, if that is what you are asking.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ I'm gonna bet MOST , if not all CA PD's have AR's (or at least a .223 carbine counterpart) in their departments ... everyone else does ... and we know LA does after their fiasco of the North Hollywood bank shootout in 1997 ... :)

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I still don't understand CA's hangup on having a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.
And why they are caught up on bayonet lugs and retractable buttstocks on M4 types. Im just a simpleton, but I really dont believe laws like CA has make a damn bit of difference. I really believe the "bad guys" are going to get what they want through their illegal avenues anyway ... its probably cheaper and there is no paper trail. Ill just stop at that ... I was going to talk about how I feel about politicians but I might not be staying within the UCMJ rules ...
s/f