• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Poor Man's Machine gun?

Lawman

None
Then why would it be difficult to get an M9 in CA and easy to get an FS92?

Maybe because when a California Law Maker googles M9A1 he got this...
bazook1.JPG

and not this
wa-btbe(t.jpg

Maybe.....

xmid

pilot
Contributor
an M-16 and an AR-15 are night and day differnt. Most of the time though its just a differnce in paperwork.

The first M-16's to be delivered to DOD went to the Air Force and were actually marked AR-15, but thats neither here nore there.

If it really is harder to get one marked M9 in Cali than 92FS just get the 92. When I bought mine the M9 was actually cheaper. I just thought getting one with M9 on it was cheasy. Like buying a NSW Sig 226.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The first M-16's to be delivered to DOD went to the Air Force and were actually marked AR-15, but thats neither here nore there.

That's because the AR-15 of 1950-whatever was a COMPLETELY different animal than the AR-15 of today.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That's because the AR-15 of 1950-whatever was a COMPLETELY different animal than the AR-15 of today.

Theres a couple hundred AR-15 marked M-16s registered to civilians. I'm lucky enough to know one. The insides of the 1970s-80s M-16A1 and the insides of the earlier model AR marked M-16s are identical other than the slab side. I've handled both. I'm interested to know what you think makes them a completely different animal? Other than the slab side of course.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Theres a couple hundred AR-15 marked M-16s registered to civilians. I'm lucky enough to know one. The insides of the 1970s-80s M-16A1 and the insides of the earlier model AR marked M-16s are identical other than the slab side. I've handled both. I'm interested to know what you think makes them a completely different animal? Other than the slab side of course.

Look at the no-sh!t original AR-15 when they were designing the M-16 program. It's actually pretty cool to see the differences over the years. It was based on an AR-10 design and had a bit different look to it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Gotcha. Its funny too that they were originally Armalite and the design was sold to Colt. I bet theres some guys over at Armalite that have been kicking themselves for the last 40 years. What I'd give to have a Stoner...

Wanabe Jarhead

You can easily get the M9 in California. It is the M9A1 that presents a challenge. The only difference I know of between the two is the light rail. As far as AR15's go, the only way to get a real one in California over a counter top and not out of some thug's trunk that I know of is to purchase the lower reciever, bolt carrier, and upper reciever groups seprately from a supplier that also has a location in another state where AR15's are legal.