• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pool Waiting - Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy

I've heard from my OSO and read several places (including here) that there can be a significant wait between TBS graduation and starting up with API. If this is the case, how long is the wait usually. What happens in the mean time? Do you get stuck with temporary duties in Pcola? Can you take leave? Is there an opportunity to study up and get a head start on the classes? Also, is there a lag time between API and Prim, then between Prim and Int, Adv, FRS, etc...any light you guys can shed...Thanks.

Semper Fi,
Teddy

vicki

Teddy,

I'm Navy, not Marine Corps, but I'm guessing the situation is most likely the same. API wait has been fluctuating from 4-8 weeks depending on the size of the pool. You usually don't escape without getting some kind of stash job, but they're often part time. This gives you time to swim, PT and get ahead with your studying (you're issued your books ahead of time). They have been honoring requests for leave, TAD, and OHARP most of the time, but I've heard of a few people getting turned down. I've been told that the wait between API and Primary varies from no wait (less than a week) to six weeks depending on where you go. Hope this helps.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:I will be heading off to OCS next May and I have been told that I can expect to wait for 3-4 months before my API start date.

Well, you have to figure that that is when USNA, and the majority of the NROTC guys graduate, and you get the tremendous backlog in the program. I graduated on 1MAY99, and I got to API just ahead of all the academy guys, so I only had a 2-3 week wait.

Teddy

Ugh, hadn't thought of that - good point John. I report to OCS 7Oct so that gets me out of TBS in June/July '02. Right in the middle of the USNA/NROTC onslaught! Oh well, I'll just have to struggle through a few months of beach-going and golf before API. Ah, the stressful life of an SNA

I'm from New England, and am greatly looking forward to a golf season longer than 3 months!!!

Dave Shutter

I'm right behind you in the Oct 27 class and I think there'a few other Navy guys here right behind me and just before me too! I think that by the time we make it to API in winter/spring '02 I bet most of the non-OCS '01 grad types would have been through already. I can't imagine large #'s of them waiting nearly a full year to begin API. Lucky me. Just a guess though...

Bpikula, your starting in Jan. right? Man, you might get stuck with it too! Better polish up your clubs and work on your game.

(OC) Shutter SNA

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 08/27/2001 14:46:38

JTD

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall one of my friends telling me that they were going to allow nrotc mids to go to API as their 1/C summer cruise.

bpikula

quote:
Bpikula, your starting in Jan. right? Man, you might get stuck with it too! Better polish up your clubs and work on your game.

(OC) Shutter SNA

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 08/27/2001 14:46:38

I hear you Dave. I'm not a big fan of golf, but I will be catching up on some much needed fishing and surfing, that is if the gulf can muster up any waves. I'm sure that we will all need a little break after OCS so I'm not that worried about it. The way I see it I will have a chance to get ahead on my studying and heck I plan on doing 20 anyway, so what's the rush?

Dave Shutter

quote:.they were going to allow nrotc mids to go to API as their 1/C summer cruise...

Damn! Graduate college and report straight to Primary! What a deal!

As for golf, I've never played nor had an interest to do so, but there were a few times I was on a course and thought it would be something I could dig. Of course I'm not sure...was it the actual sport I was intriqued by or was it the groups of guys doing a golf-cart slalom race through parallel rows of trees while juggling multiple beer cans that sparked my interest...Hmmm?

(OC) Shutter SNA, 61 days to poopie week.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 08/27/2001 23:40:31

magnum

I also have a jan 12 2002 ocs date-and I must concur with bpikula if that is the case, that catching up on my surfing and sailing and working on my tan is a tough job, "BUT SOMEBODY'S GOTTA DO IT!"

OC MAGNUM SNFO/OCS Jan 12,2002.
P.S. I plan on doing 30. (Flag rank has a nice ring to it-don't you think?)

JTurse

I have one thing to say about the API backlog--enjoy it. Yeah, you'll probably get stashed, etc. No worries man! If you can still get your books early, like I did when I went through about a year ago, it's worthwhile to read through the aero and weather books, and start looking at the ELOs. PT, Golf, fly a little, but mostly just hang out.....whatever you do, don't take any "good deals", like coming to Vance. It's no faster....

JT

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is how I tracked during flight school, unfortunately, it hasn't changed much. First Matt is right, Marines are controlled by MATSG so we are handled different.
From commissioning (PLC) to TBS-6 month wait
TBS to flight school (API)-6 month wait
API to VT-27- 3 month wait
VT-27 to VT-26-2 weeks
Wings to RAG-2 months
RAG to Fleet squadron-3 months

All total, a little more then 15 months of pool time. From the day of commissioning to the day I joined my fleet squadron, 12 days short of 5 years!
I never had a duty during my pools and I took as much leave as I desired. I also managed to get banished from Seville Quarter but thats another story. There was just to much free time!
For the Marines, I did complete all my required PME and had the opportunity to go to IOC (Infantry Officers Course) and Communications Officers Course. MATSG doesn't require a whole lot from you and the better you stay out of eyesight from the Colonel, the better. Don't worry, once you hit the fleet, the Corps will make up for lost time, guaranteed.
I hope this helps and maybe opens some eyes on what your next few years could entail. Questions? Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

JTurse

Frumby can probably correct me if I'm wrong, and I certainly don't want to put bad gouge out, but don't plan on a long wait between stages of training. The Navy has gone through a great deal of effort to move almost all of the "pool" time to the beginning of training. Once you're in, you're going to move relatively quickly compared to the bad old days with shorter pool times in comparison to somebody that went through even 2-3 years ago. Most folks I know that departed intermediate for helos/props started within a month, some started within a week. Primary to intermediate for jets is also about the same. Hearsay has it that there's still a lag at the RAG, but I can only speak for what I've seen around here.

If you get the chance to go to some extra schools, that would be great. I know that they were sending Navy students to ships for 179 days of TDY who got unlucky and reported to the API pool late last summer. If this is still going on, take it in stride. You're a naval officer, and if you keep the attitude that you'll benefit from it, you probably will. Some guys DORed outright in protest, which to me, seemed a stupid idea. I spent very little time in the pool, since I got tagged for UPT at Vance. *Marines, being MATSG controlled, did not go to sea.

JT

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
DOR's out of protest! Good. The little bastards don't deserve the right to wear my wings. If you come to flight school thinking that the military owes yo something, think again. You get a shot. Just one, to wear an emblem which has survived over 80 years, 5 major wars and countless conflicts. The bearers of this emblem have received numerous awards including the Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze star and the Medal of Honor. I hate quitters and I really hate quitters with an attitude! God Damnit, if you start this program....finish it. Little bastards protest because they have to go to sea. No sh^t, your are in the Navy dumbass! My apologies for my temper but that irritates me more then can be imagined. Remember, for everyone of you that makes it to flight school, there is probably 100 or more individuals that wish they could be there in your place. The military owes you nothing. YOU OWE YOUR COUNTRY!
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

JTurse

To give a fuller picture of what was going on, it was my understanding that they were given orders for immediate execution without the travel time or the proceed normally required for such a move. I know that one of the two guys had been in the pool for about 2 months, and felt that he had gotten really jerked around. In all fairness to him, he probably was. We were all getting jerked around. I don't know what the current PSD situation is at Pensacola, but I never got paid the same thing two paydays in a row (many in my class were in the same situation) and the student control officer really couldn't care. The two guys were dealing with the same sort of stuff. But I agree with Frumby, if you think you're owed something, then you are dead wrong. Getting funny pay is one thing--take that to the chain of command--but DORing because you are being required to do what you signed up to do--go to sea in the Navy--is certainly worth an "attitude check".

JT

Dave Shutter

I'm not in their shoes (and I hope I never am!) but I still agree with Frumby, you signed up to serve. Granted a six month JO cruise as an SNA under a bunch of SWO's in the middle of flight school is a pretty raw deal; but I also think making the best of that experience and walking away from that duty with a good fit-rep or maybe even a letter or award will go a long way when your next Aviation CO opens your file, VS the CO of the community you DOR'd to seeing that you quit from someplace else. Besides, if you DOR from flight school over a sea stint, where do you think your going to end up: Hmmmm...maybe in SWO where you'll go to sea! Attitude is everything when you wear the suit.

...my $0.02 and a hunch

(OC) Shutter

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 08/30/2001 14:26:58

Status
Not open for further replies.