• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mckenna%20on%20St%20Lo.jpg

Observe the cap closely as modeled by RADM (then CAPT) McKenna on the USS Midway's bridge in 1944.

Great pix ... and interesting, too ... as the MIDWAY wasn't commissioned until SEP 1945 .... :D .... details, details ... always those pesky details ...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sea trials perhaps?
I think I got the deal-io on the pix ... the name McKenna and the USS St. Lo joggled something in my mind, so I looked it up ... as my Dad went through St. Lo (France) and I was on CV-63 ... it held some interest from a personal standpoint.

USS CHAPIN BAY laid down in Jan, 1943

... renamed USS MIDWAY CVE-63 Apr, 1943, launched Aug 1943

... sailed for WestPac as USS MIDWAY ...

... renamed USS ST. LO October, 1944

... sunk Leyte Gulf, Oct 1944 ...

So the pix is probably correct. Details ... details ... details ... :D

Bad day for the St. Lo:

25 OCT 1944: The first major explosion following the impact of the Kamikaze aircraft has created a fireball that has risen to about 300 feet above the flight deck. The largest object above that fireball is the aft aircraft elevator, which was hurled to a height of about 1,000 feet by this first explosion. In this photo it is about 800 feet high. Official U.S. Navy photograph Photograph taken by a combat cameraman aboard USS Kalinin Bay (CVE-68)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Since (I'm guessing) we've now been sans winged cover now longer than with it, which look is really "tradition?" The one that was first, or the way it's been done longest?

I think it looks cool, though. Good luck w/that!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
So Master, was this e-mail from the CAPT just about getting wings on a cover or did it concern helping out the AWG effort as well? Just to clarify...