• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/Officers/of_19_WK_Aviation.htm

There is a female version, but given what everyone's said about the difficulties of procuring the male variant, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to get the female version. I've never seen it in person- I've only seen a few male flight surgeons wear it. :)

First, I thought it was funny that one of the named uniform components was "brassiere." Then I looked on the other uniform descriptions and they all did specify undergarments. I'd like to see the uniform inspection that actually verifies whether the individual was wearing underwear. "Hey there commando--you fail!"

The male flight surgeons wore female AWGs? No wonder they spend extra time giving me my testicular cancer exam.

BTW, that womens' AWG uniform looks horrible. It needs a sharp skirt/form-fitting jacket combo to make it look hot, working uni or not!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/Officers/of_19_WK_Aviation.htm

There is a female version, but given what everyone's said about the difficulties of procuring the male variant, I'd imagine it would be next to impossible to get the female version. I've never seen it in person- I've only seen a few male flight surgeons wear it. The uniform regs on this one obviously haven't been updated in a really long time. I doubt there is a skirt for it as it's a working uniform, but I'm wondering about the cover. It looks like the males do the green combo cover (which I think is the way to go) but on this link it only shows a garrison cover option. Furthermore, the women are supposed to wear a green garrison cover, but if men were to wear the garrison with it instead of the combo, they are supposed to wear a khaki one. Maybe a standardization of regs is in order?

Anyways, when I get winged I'll attempt to procure the women's version in the name of preserving history, not to mention it sounds like a fun challenge in the first place. I'll be sure to let yall know if I'm successful too :)
I bet Abbott's would gin up a set if you asked, but it'd probably be pricey, as they are "custom" uniforms. And if the regs say a khaki garrison cover, it's gotta be a typo. Somehow I think AWGs were low on the proofreading priority list.

MasterBates

You wear a green piscutter.

The trousers, shirt, etc are all quickly available from the NEX or Abbotts. It's the jacket that is pricey and takes a while.

And yes, I have seen women wear the female version.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First, I thought it was funny that one of the named uniform components was "brassiere." Then I looked on the other uniform descriptions and they all did specify undergarments. I'd like to see the uniform inspection that actually verifies whether the individual was wearing underwear. "Hey there commando--you fail!"

The male flight surgeons wore female AWGs? No wonder they spend extra time giving me my testicular cancer exam.

BTW, that womens' AWG uniform looks horrible. It needs a sharp skirt/form-fitting jacket combo to make it look hot, working uni or not!

It's kinda sad that it does have to specify the wearing of the bra, but I have seen a lot of women that think with most outfits in general that it's optional. Unless you have nano-boobs, it's generally a bad decision, unless you want them to be waist level by age 30. I imagine the Navy lists it because it seems everything has to be broken down Barney style.

I agree though on the jacket on the model in the uniform regs. It's too big for her for one, and two they made no effort at tailoring it. I think it could look good depending on sizing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Here's a pic of some old school aviators looking sharp in their AWGs before embarking on a record break flight in the "Truculent Turtle".
turtle_01_30sep2002.jpg

stolen from Steeljaw Scribe's piece on the PV-2 in the background.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
One of those McBarron paintings of Navy uniforms shows a female flight nurse circa 1940s wearing AWGs with a skirt and a well-tailored jacket of the style shown in the regs. It looks pretty sharp.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Back in the 80s we wore garrison cap, and insignia on the shirt to facilitate taking off the jacket/blouse. Back then the female version was pants only, no skirt, which was a shame because my wife (EC-130 pilot) would have looked great in the skirt option. AWGs were the most comfortable uniform I've ever worn. Oceana had a rule about no flight suits through the gate, everyone commuted to work in a uniform, except the F-14 guys who never seemed to give a damn about the reg. My squadron CO was also pretty hung up on not wearing a flight suit unless we were actually on the flight schedule that day, so in the winter we had plenty of time to wear them as the uniform that made the most sense when it was cold out.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If Aviation Greens return to any semblance of their wear habits of the "ol' days" ... you're going to be wearing them early and often on ANY non-flying day as a better alternative to anything "blue", especially after the WX turns cold(er)

Unfortunately that assumes flight suits are not worn on non-flying days. In many squadrons, not even the SDO wears khakis. It's flight suits all the time.

MasterBates

That being said, my time in Naval Aviation has been about 50-50 on flight suits all the time. I used to wear my flight suit to ride to work, change into khakis, then change back to fly or go home. Probably not as common now as back in A4s and A-6s day, but I've been in squadrons where that was the case.

Plus, more use would probably be for the poor saps stuck in staff or DC billets where they can't wear bags.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Unfortunately that assumes flight suits are not worn on non-flying days. In many squadrons, not even the SDO wears khakis. It's flight suits all the time.

F-in A skippy. The BAG...now THERE'S a traditional aviator's uniform!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's one arena in which you boys have triumphed over your own inadequacies/incompetence AND the "system" ... :D

You get to wear zoom-bags on non-zoomin' days.

Beautiful.

We couldn't do that while I was on ACDU --- consider yourself lucky --- which I usually remind those fortunate peers of YOURS every time I find myself behind them in the Commissary check-out line .... when I'm weeping for the future of Naval Aviation .... or feelin' "saucy" ... :)

21509471jn5.jpg