• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Please Help... Maybe I'm Not Smart Enough?

njk1

Hello all, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've taken just about every practice test there is for the ASTB, AFOQT, and ASVAB. This will be the 2nd time I'v taken the exam. The first time I scored a 48 OAR. :( The problem I'm having is the math section. I can't complete the math section in time, and usually I'm not getting the correct answer. Normally, the issue for a test taker is not the difficulty of the math problems, but finishing the test in time (the arithmetic calculations do take up the bulk of the time on this test). In my case however, I'm completely clueless on how to solve a large majority of the math problems on this test.

For example, the question: "It takes 2 guys 45 min to make 6 pizzas, how long does it take 3 guys to make 12 pizzas?" gave me so much trouble that I ended up throwing a fit because I couldn't solve it. And because I can't solve problems as seemingly simple as these, my problem becomes two fold:

1. I can't figure out how to solve the problems and
2. I can't do them in the allotted time!

Although I know now how to solve this problem, thats really not fixing the root of my problem. I'm struggling with simply understanding HOW to solve these problems, that is, developing the intelligence required to solve these problems "on the fly"... I feel like I'm just now smart enough for this exam... I mean if I had seen that pizza problem on the test, I would have panicked and my confidence would have shattered...

My general testing strategy and approach to the ASTB has been memorize as many math and mechanical problems as you can and remember how to do them on the actual exam, because if I encountered a question that I didn't know, there would be no way I could figure out how to do it. Does this strategy work?

I'm so angry because I feel like I've put in so much effort but I can't seem to perform well enough. Why the hell can't I get a 60+ score on this exam....

Does anyone have a similar problem? How did you overcome it?

Thanks for listening to me...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like you need to take an algebra class or get some tutoring. While you told us about the practice test you've taken, how and what kind of studying have you completed and from what sources? Don't game the test by memorizing problems; you'll do much better is you can recall the strategies of how to solve the sample problems....hence the tutor recommendation above.

Your profile says you are a student....college or high school?
-ea6bflyr ;)

exNavyOffRec

I am going to say what you have said is typical of people I dealt with who were non technical degree students that didn't take significant math in high school.

The advice you rec'd above is good advice, but 48 isn't bad, are you trying to compensate for a low GPA? I have seen several with a score in the 40's picked up.

Renegade One

None
"It takes 2 guys 45 min to make 6 pizzas, how long does it take 3 guys to make 12 pizzas?"
While not as "responsive" to your larger problem...and because ea6bflyr and NavyOffRec have given you better advice for the long term, I thought I would just reply directly to the problem that flummoxed you. Maybe you can take something away from that in how to "decompose" seemingly complex problems:

1. In the first part of the problem, each guy makes 3 pizzas in 45 minutes....each pizza must therefore take 15 minutes to make. So one guy x one pizza = 15 minutes.

2. Given the first answer, in the second part, 3 guys will obviously make 3 pizzas every 15 minutes. So, to make 12...it will take 4 x 15 minutes = one hour.

I can only ask you to "trust me" when I say this kind of math isn't "meaningless bullshit" that you will never have to know again. In a couple of years, you may be asked by the tanker pilot how to "divvy up the giveaway" between you and your wingmen...you have 12,000 pounds, Dash 2 has 11,000 pounds, Dash 3 has 10,000 pounds, and his wingman (Dash 4) also has 10,000 pounds. The tanker has only 10,000 pounds of give for your flight.

Who should get what? Your call....

exNavyOffRec

There is one thing I can tell you, if it is taking one guy 15 minutes to make a pizza, he won't be getting a job in a pizza shop!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
I can only ask you to "trust me" when I say this kind of math isn't "meaningless bullshit" that you will never have to know again. In a couple of years, you may be asked by the tanker pilot how to "divvy up the giveaway" between you and your wingmen...you have 12,000 pounds, Dash 2 has 11,000 pounds, Dash 3 has 10,000 pounds, and his wingman (Dash 4) also has 10,000 pounds. The tanker has only 10,000 pounds of give for your flight.

Who should get what? Your call....

Plus math in the aircraft is just harder. I always felt like they cut out about 90% of my brain when I had to add two numbers together or figure out a holding heading when I first did instrument training, and that stuff is probably on the 1st grade math level.

njk1

ea6bflyr,

Believe it or not, I was a math tutor at one point. I've studied all the gouge from this website, along with all the Arco, Barrons, Learning Express and other test books. I am good at algebra, but for some reason, I cannot figure out these simple ASTB math problems...

Also, what I said about "memorizing" the problems was a little misleading. What you described in recalling the process in getting to the answer was more what I meant. So, if I see a problem such as, "a squadron can feed 16 people for 10 days, how many can they feed if 4 more join..." than I simply recall how to do the problem from my memory and get the answer.

I forgot to mention how much the time crunch on this test scares me as well... Last time I took it I was "mentally paralyzed". Questions that I had seen before were hard for me to figure out... it was embarrassing...

NavyOffRec:

Yes I am a non-technical major. I hate being a non-tech major. In fact, I hated my major in college, (English), and I hate being so fucking stupid to the point where I can't get the score I want no matter how hard I work. I've put in so much effort into getting a high score on this test... I want to fucking crush this damn test and get a 60+ OAR. I've even written my own study guides for both the math and mechanical sections, but that does not seem to help too much...

I'm sorry for being so negative, but I'm so damn frustrated.

I just wish I had the intellectual firepower to get the score I want...... I hate begin a unintelligent....

I don't mean to be a troll, but I'm very angry... I'm so sorry

Renegade One

None
ea6bflyr,

Believe it or not, I was a math tutor at one point. ...but for some reason, I cannot figure out these simple ASTB math problems...

I forgot to mention how much the time crunch on this test scares me as well... Last time I took it I was "mentally paralyzed". Questions that I had seen before were hard for me to figure out... it was embarrassing...

Yes I am a non-technical major. I hate being a non-tech major. In fact, I hated my major in college, (English), and I hate being so fucking stupid to the point where I can't get the score I want no matter how hard I work.

I'm sorry for being so negative, but I'm so damn frustrated.

I just wish I had the intellectual firepower to get the score I want...... I hate begin a unintelligent....

I don't mean to be a troll, but I'm very angry... I'm so sorry

Let's just face facts: "Cannot figure out simple math problems...time crunch scares me as well..."mentally paralyzed"...I hated my major in college...I hate being so fucking stupid......I'm so damn frustrated...I hate being a unintelligent...I'm very angry."

This may just not be the optimum career choice for you. You clearly have many talents and many skill sets...use them to your best advantage. Live long and prosper...

njk1

What do you mean? I'm sure there are people who did not do well on this test and managed to get into OCS and did great things while working as an officer...

exNavyOffRec

I think you are focusing too much on the ASTB and getting worked up for nothing, and given that you just took the OAR last time I take it you are not going for an aviation designator, is that correct?

In regards to non aviation jobs other items are more important, GPA, LOR's, degree, as well as others.

Do some community service, that could give you a whole paragraph to talk about in your motivational statement.

njk1

No, I'm not going for an aviation job. I do not want to be a pilot.

Thank you for your encouragement though NavyOffRec.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Sounds like you're putting way too much pressure on yourself for one. Take some time off from the books and "re-cage" your mindset. Start thinking of the things that you know on the test and did well on - try and focus that positive thought process on the math.

BackOrdered

Contributor
What do you mean? I'm sure there are people who did not do well on this test and managed to get into OCS and did great things while working as an officer...

Many instances of being an Naval Officer involves "oh crap, I have to think of an intelligent educated answer by yesterday RIGHT NOW in front of sailors/peers/superiors before **** gets real" moments. And moments where you pull a "crap I suck at this, I better get visibly mad" will shoot your foot clear off.

No one is saying quit, but take a step back and look beyond the problem at the bigger picture and adjust accordingly....

njk1

tiz84, although I do appreciate your advice, you could have easily said that to just about anyone who has experienced stress or frustration. Also, the situation you described does not exclusive to serving as an officer in the us navy. I'm sure everyone from every line of work experiences such instances.