• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PLC Graduation

Status
Not open for further replies.

farkle84

like Taxman said, PLC combined the way to go. might as well get it all over and done with in one summer. thats what i did as well. whatever route you go its going to be tough and the academics, leadership, and physical stuff apply

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
PLC combined has to be the best deal. To go there once, never having to go back again, is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself. Get it done in one visit, that is the smartest thing you can do.

klostman

the happy dance!
Bigworm, Capt. Spurlock been treatin' us good He actually left a month after I shipped out here in May. I believe he went to Naval Warfare School. I also heard he got promoted to Major. Bigworm, were gonna have to temporarly rename you "bookworm" until you finish API. lol.

Rob_ERAU

Cool! Sounds like combined would be the best way to go. So when combined OCS is finished are you then comissioned a 2nd Lt., or do they wait till you finish your final year of college?

Robby Volack

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Call me whatever you want. Our class was a lot smaller today, and I’m still kickin, you only get so many strikes before they throw you into a supply shop.

Major? When he came to the office, he was a 1st Lt. That was in 99 or 00, if he made major in three years I would be very curious to hear how he did it.

Rob, talk with your OSO and git the nitty gritty on the programs. I went to summer camp twice because after game1, I got tuition + book reimbursement up to 5 grand for a couple of years. There are too many rules for me to explain, but it would be worth your time to ask your OSO all of the right questions. It all depends on your personal situation.

Before you are commissioned, you have to have a diploma, and the OCS complete ticket in hand, and then your OSO will swear you in…sign here. Between OCS and degree completion is a gray area, nobody is really sure what they are – not a candidate, and not yet an officer. Don’t think about it to much, it’ll happen soon enough.

If you like, infantry stuff, you’ll like TBS. If you’ve already humped an 81mm base plate, and annihilated a heard of Camels in Kuwait, then I could understand how it gets a little old; especially when you are treated like a mushroom.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, the days of humping around a base-plate and "accidentally" executing an immediate suppression mission on a heard of camels are over. The memories are still alive along with some good pictures. OH yeah, TBS got old, being a 3rd Lt, and yes, being treated like a mushroom.....being kept in the dark and fed nothing but sh!t.

Farkle, what Company are you gonna be in again?

Beetle

klostman

the happy dance!
Bigworm, I should correct myself. I heard he might be getting promoted to major sometime soon in the future after Naval Warfare school. I thought you had to be a Captain before being an OSO? How is API going so far? Would you say anybody with aviation background has more of an advantage or does it really not matter?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
With the OSO, thing, I have no idea…but he was a 1st Lt coming in promoted to Capt very quickly. I did ROTC for a few years, and the MOI was a 1st Lt promoted to Capt quickly..really not that important to me in the grand scheme, just curious.

With prep for API/flight school, I got my ppl, and have about 60-70 hours. Anybody that tells you it doesn’t help is full of Sh!t. There will come a point in training, probably somewhere early in primary that I haven’t reached yet where everything will balance out, and all will be on an equal plane. If you don’t have the money for flight training, I did a lot with the King videos, and memorized them, which not only helped on the ASTB, but give a good back ground for API. Just getting to the SOLO point through IFS would help a lot. Taking Calculus and Physics also helped out a lot when I thought I wanted to be an engineer until I realized that they are all overworked and underlaid. It gets you into the mindset of how equations and graphs work real well.

The bottom line is that no matter what your background, you have to have the attitude of learning things the Navy way. My buddy that has an aviation degree is studying every bit as much as I am because it goes a lot more in depth than what is required for ppl. Going through these classes, if I had never seen what lift is, and how it changes with turning flight, etc.. I would be lost in the sauce. It isn’t anything to stress over, because there are people with no flight training that are doing fine. It is mainly memorization, and regurgitation. If you don’t have the extra flight time, you may end up hitting the I believe button more than those that do, but soon enough everything will click.

If you have the time and money, the way I would prioritize is do the ground work for the written exam, and then flight time. I can honestly say that if I only had 15 hours vs 60 hours, it would be about the same for API. When I get to Primary, I will have a stick and rudder advantage for the first few flights, but I know that everyone will catch up real quick. I’ve also heard that instrument time would help a lot, but haven’t gotten to a point where I could validate it.

In other words, flight stuff helps, but the only silver bullet to succeed is hard work from what I've seen so far.

mccabe1919

Taking Calculus and Physics also helped out a lot when I thought I wanted to be an engineer until I realized that they are all overworked and underlaid.

Hey now I am an engineer that may be overworked but surely not underlaid! Come on now... Underpaid may be true, but aren't we all? Anyways thanks for all the good info.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Well, there were a few engineers that could hold their own…but on average the Business student vs the Engineer student…

Did the mile swim today, it is way over hyped. It makes you pretty sleepy for the follow on classes, but everyone in my API class passed the swim. The last guy came across at around 72 min, the first, a Marine of all people somewhere in the low 40’s. If you can splash in the water, then don’t give it a second thought.

Another interesting observation is that Marines seem to be extremists, either the best or the worst. I was talking to some of the guys that were going before the board, it sounds like most of them were Marines, and then on the other side the top 10 percent is always composed mainly of Marines. Moral of the story, don’t be the rock.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Just read through this post, and I have another question. Do family and friends come to PLC-Jrs 'graduation'? Is thursday the Family Day? What do you do that day? What's the talk now about Sr's? Is it still the worst feeling in the world having to go back for another 'go-round'? Thanks.

Raptor2216

EA-6B....we were given the option to join in some event called "family day" so I assume its still the same. I guess you get to see your family before graduation and they are allowed at the graduation ceremony. I don't remeber exactlly what day was family day for us but you'll know with plenty of time to prepare. I can't tell you anything else about family day since I never participated in it.

As far as returning for seniors goes, I remeber asking one candidate during liberty what he thought of seniors and how it was different from seniors and he told me that time goes by much faster...you are on your feet just about all day running from one place to another and that libery is loved by all. One other candidate(one of the top candidates in the entire class) didn't like the whole having to walk over the damn bridge 3 times a day...but that's understandable.

I guess the one thing I do like about the 2 summer PLC program is the experience you gain at Jr's. You know just what it's all about and what you have to do and you can prepare for it a whole lot better than you ever could for Jr's or OCC or even PLC combined. The only bad thing is having to go back for 6 more weeks.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Posted by FrogFly:
"NOTHING you did in Jr's is counted toward Sr's now. That means you will take all tests (academic, and of course physical) over again, starting with SULE I. They now cram the entire 10 week OCC course into the six week PLC Sr's. It freakin' sucks, and there are no breaks. Just know that for those of you, like myself, who thought the 2 six week deal sounded appealing, you'll be getting yours the second time around, but hell, that's what we're there for, right?"

Then what's the purpose of Jrs? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.