• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Planning a leave a year ahead of time. Can you help me make an informed decision?

Renegade One

None
Opening ceremonies happen every 4 years, and Japan isn't going anywhere. Focus on what's important now, and look forward to better opportunities. We even have squadrons that live in Japan, so there's that.

m182148

PPC
pilot
Hello,

I probably won't start IFS/API until September/October, so I am estimating I will be in intermediate/advanced during next summer.

Ya good luck with that timeline prediction

everyday we stray further from the average time to train

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
You could be a stash during that time, or on an extended med down for something you never anticipated (because one does not anticipate such things). You never know. But I'm w/ @robav8r here. However, consider making a career investment rather than a financial one. Here's how you do it: Buy the tickets (which are the long pole in the tent of "getting there," I'm guessing). When it's time to sell (which you most likely will), find a future IP with orders to your squadron from Japan. Give them a real bargain, or just sell at face value. Timing is everything, of course, but so it is for you getting to your little Opening Ceremony.

About the author: Set a date for wedding in late May around the same time I started at HT-18 in September (2008). Was told I might get 3 days if I asked nicely. Come April I either volunteered for flights or duty as desired to adjust my graduation date. Stars and weather gods aligned and I proceeded to line things up just barely well enough to keep me terrified while still working it out. 1. Winging on Friday. 2. Fiance's med school graduation 8 days later. 3. Wedding 7 days later. 4. 5-day honeymoon. 4. SERE 9 days post-wedding ?.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I think if you ask anyone on here 95% of them will say their time stashed in Pcola was one of the best parts of their careers. Enjoy it while you can.

It’s like when you’re 5 and you hate taking naps but when you grow up all you want is to go back to an age where it’s acceptable to take naps...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think if you ask anyone on here 95% of them will say their time stashed in Pcola was one of the best parts of their careers. Enjoy it while you can.

It’s like when you’re 5 and you hate taking naps but when you grow up all you want is to go back to an age where it’s acceptable to take naps...
I just woke up from a nap about five minutes ago.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Could always hedge your bets a touch and schedule your own wedding and the funeral of an immediate family member in Tokyo on 24 July of next year?

Just do all the leg work for it to be in Tokyo... and then actually be in Tokyo. I was assigned PIO for someone that went OCONUS without approval, lied about it, and it was the biggest shit show of my career. The CNO got involved and they got kicked out in the hardest way available.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
The 4 months between OCS and API was the closest I ever came to becoming a professional golfer. I honed my game well enough to shoot 75 at the Moors in Pace, FL which got me feeling confident enough to venture over to Magnolia in Mobile, AL (Robert Trent Jones course and site of an LPGA event) where I proceeded to lose at least a dozen balls and shot over 100.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.