• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Planning a leave a year ahead of time. Can you help me make an informed decision?

solo7

Hello,

I probably won't start IFS/API until September/October, so I am estimating I will be in intermediate/advanced during next summer. Next summer, the stars are aligning with the Summer Olympics taking place in Tokyo, Japan. I have always dreamt of attending the Olympic Opening Ceremony, and even more-so I have always dreamt of going to Japan. I want to request tickets, but if my OCONUS leave most likely wouldn't get approved or if it would impact my training then it is not worth the risk.

Has anyone been able to take leave during intermediate/advanced for non-familial reasons? Thanks for your help before I make the investment.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Hello,

I probably won't start IFS/API until September/October, so I am estimating I will be in intermediate/advanced during next summer. Next summer, the stars are aligning with the Summer Olympics taking place in Tokyo, Japan. I have always dreamt of attending the Olympic Opening Ceremony, and even more-so I have always dreamt of going to Japan. I want to request tickets, but if my OCONUS leave most likely wouldn't get approved or if it would impact my training then it is not worth the risk.

Has anyone been able to take leave during intermediate/advanced for non-familial reasons? Thanks for your help before I make the investment.
L O Fucking L

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am estimating I will be in intermediate/advanced during next summer. Next summer, the stars are aligning with the Summer Olympics taking place in Tokyo, Japan...Has anyone been able to take leave during intermediate/advanced for non-familial reasons? Thanks for your help before I make the investment.

I'll save you the trouble, the answer is almost certainly going to be a big fat NO.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
let me know how the check in goes with stucon when you ask them for 2 weeks of leave to go to japan in the middle of advanced.
File this under "it never hurts to ask, but..."

The by-the-book answer is there's a leave policy for students in the flight school pipeline. Stuff like if you get married then how many days you get off (not many days, usually Fri-Sat-Sun). Vacation and leisure travel is usually a week or so around Christmas. Things like brother/sister graduating college, good friend getting married and you're the best man? Case by case, depends a lot on how far away it is. About the only other time you get off is for things like family emergencies and bereavement.

Every new class checking in has a "that guy," who asks something really strange in response to "Does anyone have any questions?" There are good questions and there are also "that guy" questions. If you still want to ask, then ask somebody one-on-one and see how he or she reacts. For example your class advisor when you get to primary, who will probably tell you it was wise to not be "that guy" on check-in day.

Meyerkord

pilot
Thanks for the direct answer. I see now that it was a naive question. When I commission in a couple months I'll be sure to just focus on what's in front of me.
Just a note about your forecasted timeline too... I wouldn't expect to be in intermediate/advanced when you hit 1 year. I'm at 1 year right now and I'm just starting primary, which is supposed to take another 8-9 months. Yes, things can change, but I don't think they'll change THAT much.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Could always hedge your bets a touch and schedule your own wedding and the funeral of an immediate family member in Tokyo on 24 July of next year?
^^^ This one will fit in well in any wardroom.

robav8r

None
Contributor
It could be a wise addition to his investment portfolio. He’s sure to make a profit selling his tix last minute when he figures the stars aren’t aligned . . .