• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Places to Live in Norfolk

MasterBates

Okay, a little over 3 years later and I am reviving this thread.

Guess where MB is staying for the next 3 years? Yep. Norfolk. Squadron TBD but I'm staying here.

Even though I have been here 9 months, I've had no luck finding a place that meets my needs without going stupid expensive.

Here is what I have been looking for:
1- MUST have a garage. I'm sick of all my tools/dirtbikes/stuff being in a storage unit.
2-NO TUNNELS. The tunnels here just go gridlock at the drop of a hat, and for random reasons. Want to avoid.
3-Reasonable commute. 60 minutes has not been bad as a RAG student, but having to show up to work every day, it gets old. Did that for 3 years in JAX.. Never again.
4-If I'm going to have to live in the city, I want to be able to walk to stuff. Bars, food, etc.

I've been leaning towards Ghent, but no luck finding places with a garage.

It doesn't have to be the nicest area, but I don't want to have to live in an area with drive bys either.

Any ideas?

flamingo navy

If u have time IMO check out all the areas mentioned above. One not mentioned is Freemason area on fringe of downtown two blocks from Granby. Quite a few Chambers Field types live there. New condos an apts just opening on Brambleton n Boush streets. I hear from a friend that condos at 388 Boush can be had now a bit cheaper than in Ghent. Also a new apt complex leasing on Llewelyn n 21st street which is a convenient area at the north end of Ghent. A big plus to consider should be light rail locations. Will not impact you in FRS but should be considered if you buy something. Downtown station adjacent to Macarthur Center now under construction. If u will be staying in the area for follow on tours (and with current n future DOD budget constraints once there there is a very good bet u may be homesteaded (an Air force term) then definitely consider the light rail future)) I speak from the experience of living in Alexandria Va area in the 70s n saw the rapid appreciation of real estate anywhere near a station. Good huntin and Good luck

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you're looking to buy - and now seems like as good a time as any - Colonial Place, Riverview and Lafayette Park are all great places with some severely undervalued houses, some owned by flippers who are trying to get out from underwater. If you're looking to rent, there are also some of those around as well. Ghent and downtown Norfolk proper are gonna be megabucks for a proper garage.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you get a few folks together, you could probably rent a decent house in the Ghent area. You might also want to look around ODU or off Little Creek, especially if you want a garage.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
More info?

Okay, a little over 3 years later and I am reviving this thread.
Guess where MB is staying for the next 3 years? Yep. Norfolk. Squadron TBD but I'm staying here.
Even though I have been here 9 months, I've had no luck finding a place that meets my needs without going stupid expensive.
Here is what I have been looking for:
1- MUST have a garage. I'm sick of all my tools/dirtbikes/stuff being in a storage unit.
2-NO TUNNELS. The tunnels here just go gridlock at the drop of a hat, and for random reasons. Want to avoid.
3-Reasonable commute. 60 minutes has not been bad as a RAG student, but having to show up to work every day, it gets old. Did that for 3 years in JAX.. Never again.
4-If I'm going to have to live in the city, I want to be able to walk to stuff. Bars, food, etc.
I've been leaning towards Ghent, but no luck finding places with a garage.

Any ideas?

Howdy folks,

I'm coming up for orders soon... as part of the process I need to figure out what I want to do and where I want to go. I've got the "what" part figured out, but I need some more info to make an educated decision on "where".

I am thinking pretty hard about asking for orders on the east coast, which would put me at NS, Norfolk. The only appreciable time I have spent east of Houston was in Pensacola. Having never seen the real east coast I don't really know much about it - especially where to live! What kind of info or advice can anyone offer that's geared towards a family? We're open to buying or renting, depending on what makes most financial sense at the time, but I expect to more than likely buy a house. Also, I've spent enough time in SoCal to know what I'd be getting myself into if I go west.

-I want something similar MB's list (above), and I would also need a place with plenty of room. Three bedrooms are my minimum. If I don't get a garage it's a no-go. A two-car garage is a plus.

-I know nothing about where to put myself in order to minimize my commute, but it makes sense - and I have been advised - to avoid tunnels and bridges. Less commute is good unless it puts me in an undesirable area. I am going to spend enough time at work every day that I don't need to add another hour or two in the truck (away from my wife and kid).

-School district has to be good! Especially if I stay in Norfolk for a second set of orders, my child will begin school before we move again. Who's got recommendations?

-Three years in Guam have us itching to get back to civilization. I don't have to be in the middle of town, but close by to fun things to do and places to eat/shop will make everyone in the family happy - especially my wife.

That's all I have thought about as far as "must haves" for the next place I'll live. I'm in the research stage now, and if I end up with orders then I'll get in touch with a real estate agent at that point. For now I'm just looking for advice so I know where to look (online) so I can figure out what kind of place I would buy. I can narrow my search a lot if I have some areas that I should strongly consider or definitely avoid.

Thanks for the help.

phrogpilot73

I'd recommend Chesapeake. Ghent is where all the "action" is - but getting the space you want, as well as avoiding sketchy areas is a little tougher. Chesapeake would also be more affordable. There's a number of good restaurants/things to do in the evening in Chesapeake. I can't speak to the schools, but the commute from Chesapeake will take anywhere from 30mins to 1 1/2 hours depending on the retarded drivers here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd recommend Chesapeake. Ghent is where all the "action" is - but getting the space you want, as well as avoiding sketchy areas is a little tougher. Chesapeake would also be more affordable. There's a number of good restaurants/things to do in the evening in Chesapeake. I can't speak to the schools, but the commute from Chesapeake will take anywhere from 30mins to 1 1/2 hours depending on the retarded drivers here.

And the limited route options to NS. Chesapeake is generally more affordable and lot sizes can be relatively much larger than VB or Norfolk. Across the entire Tidewater area is a great buyer's market for you as market peaked many moons ago and is in an adjustment towards lower end. It will likely rise with influx of military rotations through late spring and summer so you'll find properties undervalued in areas traditionally hard to break into across the board. Some have been sittign all winter due to low volume or owners trying to hold out for higher value. Get a good realtor and have fun (don't forget to check for noisepattern info if you're looking on a weekend).

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I'll second Chesapeake. I lived there for a few months when I first moved back to the East Coast. I don't remember getting to NS Norfolk being all that bad in the mornings. I'm guessing the 0700 start time for the military beat the civilians in traffic. However, the trip home at the end of the day usually sucked if you missed the HOV lane on 64.

I liked Chesapeake. I lived with a buddy in an absolute shithole on Battlefield Blvd, then I moved to the ghetto in Norfolk when I got married (Park Crescent Apartments, good apartments, terrible neighborhood). Chesapeake is fun, good for families, I think the schools are pretty good and the housing market got friggin' crushed in the bust. Chesapeake exploded in the early 2000's and had a surplus of housing when the bust came. So, you should be able to pick something up for a pretty fair price.

I lived in Portsmouth when I was a student at the RAG. DO NOT LIVE IN PORTSMOUTH OR ANYWHERE WHERE THERE IS A TUNNEL INVOLVED!!!!

$.02 issued

phrogpilot73

However, the trip home at the end of the day usually sucked if you missed the HOV lane on 64.
Ain't that the truth - if you leave at 1545, it'll take you 30 minutes to make it to Chesapeake. Leave at 1615, and you may as well stick around work until 1800 - unless you want your 30 minute trip to turn into almost an hour, or more.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I know this thread is about Norfolk, but I have orders to Little Creek this summer. Any good recommendations for apartments or condo rentals in VA Beach? I'm not super picky, I just don't want to live in the hood and don't want to live somewhere overpriced.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I may be selling my condo this summer after retirement if I have to move for the job situation. (HOA has a limit on number of rentals).

1554 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2 bath w/ jetted tub in master, walk-in closets, wood floor in main living area, 17x30' two car garage (fit my Corvette and my Avalanche with room to spare), 10 min to Little Creek, 15 min to NS Norfolk with no traffic, 30 min to Oceana or Dam Neck.

Here is unit like mine currently up for sale:
http://www.williamewood.com/reinftp/1003757