• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pitching Deck Carrier Landing Vid

as for too many people on the platform that is debatable. Every LSO will speak to this...only way to learn pitching deck control is to get out there and see it.

Now for my soap box. Are you sure everyone in that video is an LSO? Might be DV's (which I doubt given the severity of pitching deck), might be CAG and CO's/XO's (which is not uncommon) or hell the Captain of Ship for that matter. Point is you can't speak intelligently about who is out there unless you were on that ship and yes i know that includes myself. I won't judge what I see based on that video. Camera video taken from bow of ship that is zoomed aft can make pitching deck look worse. Camera tricks...and yes I have done it for cruise video...but then again that might be legit 20+ foot movement. You never know. i would like to hear from anyone in forum that was on the ship in this video and attest to conditions.

Lastly, and every CAG Paddles can attest to this...if it was truly a dangerous or crappy day and unsafe, CAG Paddles would have cleared the platform out to minimal crew. SO goes back to my first paragraph. Good experience for new LSO's or inexperienced LSO's or even not wave day LSO leads to get up there and refresh themselves on pitching deck.

It's not uncommon to see that many people out there and it is not unsafe to have that many people out there. When it becomes a safety issue, CAG Paddles will and has stepped in. On side note...is that the Kitty Hawk? if so the platform is so far removed from foul line you can have that many people there and not be in the way....same for Enterprise.

brownshoe

Contributor
I donn't care what any one says, but I would rather have my brown jersy on running all over the flight deck waiting for my birds to return to the barn than to land them there. Much respect seen it pretty rough, especialy in the North Atlantic.

Amen to that!:)

Steve

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey its the new navy and new policies. Careful with that LOL.

If the "new Navy" doesn't get this:

maitaizg7.jpg

Then all is lost .... but I think I already know the answer to that "story problem" ... :)

stickygdm

pilot
Question: Why don't they mount the ball/lens system on a stabilized platform?

It is, but it has limitations. Not as much in magnitude but the speed at which the system can keep up with the motion. Will lag slightly so that's why we go MOVLAS or talk downs.

One thing I'll add as a "recovering CAG LSO..." Yep the crowd forms when the show is good, that's an unfortunate programming of the human psyche. My message to paddles and future paddles: step on to the platform to contribute or learn not to gawk. Gawking is done in the ready room watching the plat.

Oh, as far as jumping into the net... When you've seen _HCDX-IM_ ... _PNU.\AR_ RS, you realize there's no time to dive. So all the crowd on the platform whether one or twenty absorbs the impact and hears the most awful sound in mechanized history. There's a brief flash, an increase in ambient air temperature, and a rush of wind with some small fragments of Al, Fe, and HCO2s. After the remnants of the aircraft safely exit the flight deck, leaving large pieces of the engine spinning on the the deck like an empty beercan, do you realize your still standing on the platform. You then begin to wonder why you didn't jump in the net and hope the large piece of the engine doesn't roll over you and all your buds.

Those in peril on the high seas tonight, be safe. We're all thinking of you.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Oh, as far as jumping into the net... When you've seen _HCDX-IM_ ... _PNU.\AR_ RS, you realize there's no time to dive. So all the crowd on the platform whether one or twenty absorbs the impact and hears the most awful sound in mechanized history. There's a brief flash, an increase in ambient air temperature, and a rush of wind with some small fragments of Al, Fe, and HCO2s. After the remnants of the aircraft safely exit the flight deck, leaving large pieces of the engine spinning on the the deck like an empty beercan, do you realize your still standing on the platform. You then begin to wonder why you didn't jump in the net and hope the large piece of the engine doesn't roll over you and all your buds.....

Whew. :eek:

With all that; I'm glad I quit wavin' and went into the airlines.

The most dangerous thing therein was an enraged lead Flight Attendant w/ a chipped front tooth .... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

phantomphixer82

I found a you tube site of my old squadron VF-74 doing flight ops in the early 70's, there are some sort of lights, I don't know if they are landing lights or what. Never seen anything like that before, could someone enlighten me? They look to be on the starboard side of the deck, and retractable.

B

Blutonski816

i found a you tube site of my old squadron vf-74 doing flight ops in the early 70's, there are some sort of lights, i don't know if they are landing lights or what. Never seen anything like that before, could someone enlighten me? They look to be on the starboard side of the deck, and retractable.

movlas??

btw, I think I have this vid (sans music) on a DVD I picked up at the 99 cents store...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a MOVLAS 3 rig near the island on the sboard side. It's not that big now.

Also, found a very similar vid to the OP's. Notice around 1:29 or so the "plat" footage reflects them using the MOVLAS. On the left side of the screen you'll see an indexer moving along a pegged line. That's MOVLAS.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nice "period" music ... :)

Wing tanks on Navy F-4's ... just proves once again that you should never say "never". :)

The "Forrest Fire" ... Flush deck PLATFORM on a 'LANT Fleet deck? Most unusual ... :)

Please note 5 LSO's (of sorts) on the PLATFORM -- I rest my case. But the phone talker's in the catwalk ??? :)