• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pitching Deck Carrier Landing Vid

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Just a nice big ocean swell... its fun when you are in that stuff for a week or so. I almost did a head dive from one end of my stateroom to the other after a nice roll.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pitchin' deck ??? Well, I wasn't there .... but:

It ain't "pitchin'" -- bad -- unless the ball is goin' off the top AND bottom during your pass .... if so, DON'T CHASE THE BALL !!! LISTEN TO THE LSO !!!

This particular vid is not bad, not too bad at all .... except as a demonstration of WA-A-A-A-AAAAY too many guys on the platform.

What IN THE HELL is the matter w/ LSO's these days .... ???

I weep ....

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pitchin' deck ??? Well, I wasn't there .... but:

It ain't "pitchin'" -- bad -- unless the ball is goin' off the top AND bottom during your pass .... if so, DON'T CHASE THE BALL !!! LISTEN TO THE LSO !!!

This particular vid is not bad, not too bad at all .... except as a demonstration of WA-A-A-A-AAAAY too many guys on the platform.

What IN THE HELL is the matter w/ LSO's these days .... ???

I weep ........
Absolutely Wa-a-a-a-ay too many guys.

That's exactly what struck me too. Not the deck movement, but the paddles convention on the platform. You'd think they had moved the ice cream machine out there.

I also weep….

[BTW, on the Midway, that was nearly a normal deck movement, even in smooth seas. :eek: ]

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely Wa-a-a-a-ay too many guys.

That's exactly what struck me too. Not the deck movement, but the paddles convention on the platform. You'd think they had moved the ice cream machine out there.

I also weep….

[BTW, on the Midway, that was nearly a normal deck movement, even in smooth seas. :eek: ]
Good call, CAT .... :D

My platform litmus test was ... when the guy in the groove hits the ramp in spite of all our Herculean efforts to keep him off of it ... how many of us will make it into the net ??? Especially since the net has a two-man sized hole in the bottom w/ nothin' but daylight from it to the water 50' below ... the same net that we've complained to the BOSS about and dragged around all cruise .... :D

MasterBates

Too many LSOs is probably because of a "More safety guys MUST BE SAFER" mentality, and it unfortunatley will probably take something bad happening (A4s Rampstrike scenario) that gets people hurt/killed, then it will me min personnel on platform for a while. Then 10 years down the road, someone will decide "1 more is better" and so on, until the cycle repeats itself.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Too many LSOs is probably because of a "More safety guys MUST BE SAFER" mentality, and it unfortunatley will probably take something bad happening (A4s Rampstrike scenario) that gets people hurt/killed, then it will me min personnel on platform for a while. Then 10 years down the road, someone will decide "1 more is better" and so on, until the cycle repeats itself.

And too many guys -- LSO's and camp follower kibitzers -- are tryin' to "be somebody" ... ergo the high population density on the current crop of platforms.

It only makes it harder to do your job and increases the potential body count if something goes horribly wrong. And it will go wrong eventually if you do it long enough ....

If the LSO's aren't smart enough to subscribe to platform population control .... where in the hell is the BOSS???

I weep, once again.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

If the LSO's aren't smart enough to subscribe to platform population control .... where in the hell is the BOSS???

I weep, once again.
We must think alike, A4s… where was the Boss???

Advanced technology and superior training have made our proud and select profession far more safe than it was back in the day.

But that doesn't eliminate unnecessary risk and naïve stupidity.

(As an aside, I personally suspect we may have become far too "safety conscious" in some areas, and far too little "safely conscious" in a few others.)

I have seen people die on the flight deck – some even during non-flight ops. In fact I once very nearly killed myself through my own negligence walking on the deck after flt-ops.

The flight deck is and always will be a most dangerous piece of real estate.

So if you aren't essential up there, don't be there!

And if you are up there uneccessarily, don't be stupid enough to be caught in the photo of excessive people on the platform; or equally, to be in harm's way when all hell eventually happens.... which it does with enough exposure.......eventually.

MasterBates

I saw similar things on small boys. They wanted so many guys on deck for "safety" on one boat it became unsafe. I'm not talking a U/I LSE or safety observer for a new chock/chain runner. I'm talking safety observers for damn near everyone. People tripping over each other. The whole crew could not stand single file in front of a CG hangar door.

This boats lunacy included wanting LSEs on deck when there is an LSO landing the helo. Thankfully the det OIC went "no way, show me where the HOSTAC/NWP Somtethingorother says we do this".

It's not just CV ops that have gotten that way.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Several months ago while underway for RAG CQ, a few of us had a chance to bag the last day out. The fun of the day bag-ex was only increased when you could hear the hook-to-ramp clearance horn blaring as the controlling LSO answered the ball call - the call to rig the movlas came rather quickly - and then my jet broke :(

My suspicion, and this comment is not made in defense, is that a lot of these guys were up there to 'get the experience'. Also, its been my observation over the past couple of years that a lot of guys are more interested in the "coolest guys in the airwing" image, and less on actually getting the job done right and well. Hell, even the deck caller (a well justified and required position on the team) appears to know he's being filmed.

One of the worst things about RAG CQ is that there are usually a butt-ton of DV's (and I use that term liberally, apparently so does the the Big PAO) flown onboard to watch 'the show'. They get led around the flight deck like lemmings. Once watched their tour guide (a shooter who should have known better) try to march several of them under the cans of a Prowler the same way you see directors do with Hornets. Problem with that is the Prowler's can are canted downward. They all got blown into the deck with several resultant cases of road rash.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
One of the worst things about RAG CQ is that there are usually a butt-ton of DV's (and I use that term liberally, apparently so does the the Big PAO) flown onboard to watch 'the show'. They get led around the flight deck like lemmings. Once watched their tour guide (a shooter who should have known better) try to march several of them under the cans of a Prowler the same way you see directors do with Hornets. Problem with that is the Prowler's can are canted downward. They all got blown into the deck with several resultant cases of road rash.

DV's on the flight deck always make me nervous. Watching them march around in an elephant chain. Go to vultures row.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
That really wasn't bad at all. Spend enough time bagging traps, you'll see worse days as a tailhookder. Even the COD guys. We usually had quite a bit of dudes on the LSO platform, up to 7-9 as I recall. Lets see, CAG paddles, LSO for glideslope, LSO for line-up, one guy calling the deck, another guy timing the groove length and usually another 3 or 4 watching.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
DV's on the flight deck always make me nervous. Watching them march around in an elephant chain. Go to vultures row.
DV's = Designated Victims.

They belong on Vultures' Row -- where the view is mo' bettah as well. They don't NEED to "feel the rush" of the platform ... :)