• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots requested for operations on new online network

ciofflys

My name is Mark Cioffi and I’m a retired USAF LtCol now flying as a First Officer for Delta Air Lines. I’m also an Associate Adjunct Professor with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Worldwide.

Recently new technology has evolved that allows flight simulation at all levels of sophistication to enjoy live ATC. We are searching for virtual pilots that know military operations and can fly in this new environment. There is obvious DoD usefulness for this technology but proof of concept is needed. The company that is initiating this project can be found at: http://pilotedge.net There will not be any reference made specifically to this project on the Pilotedge web site.

If anyone is willing to play in this environment that has the potential to evolve into real income please step forward. There is no obligation of finances. However, if you are interested we would ask that you be serious about participating.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This post is approved and has been coordinated with me. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phrogpilot73

I'm interested. What qualifications/requirements are you looking at? Military helo guys fly simulated military helos (if so, count me out - helos on FSX are damned near impossible to fly), or fly what you want? Would the users you're "hiring" have to pay the monthly fee for PilotEdge? When would the flying hours be, night/weekend? If during the day, it's a solid no for me...

ciofflys

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your response to the post. Several of you have asked very good and direct questions so let me try to clarify what the initial goals are and how you would participate.

First we would have you join Pilotedge as our guests, at no charge. We need people that can fly the aircraft and talk on the radio as military aviators. Once you are accustomed to Pilotedge and your SA is up on how things work the next goal is to organize a package that would resemble a launch and recovery exercise probably from Yuma MCAS.

Our goal is land a contract with the DoD in fiscal 2012. I have some contacts that have provided good guidance on this prospect, but we cannot go forward without competent pilots to demonstrate this technology.

PilotEdge is publicized as a network that provides ATC for civilian pilots, however, it also has applicability in the reverse role, providing an ATC training environment where we provide highly qualified and relevant traffic for those controllers. That would be the nature of the engagement with the DoD.

The trial exercises would not have any compensation associated with them, but you will certainly not be paying anything to participate on the network.

The President and CEO of Pilotedge will be on the forum shortly to provide some more background. Thanks for your interest and I look forward to talking with you on line soon.

Mark

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Don't know much about it, but isn't there something similar to this known as VATSIM or whatever?

Keith Smith

Hi guys,

My name is Keith Smith, I'm the founder and developer of PilotEdge.

Here's what we're looking for. In general terms:
- we're looking for aviators (either present or past) who have access to and are familiar with FS9, FSX or X-Plane.

- real world experience with a specific list of airframes is not required. The level of specificity does not really go beyond fixed-wing or helicopters. That said, the final package that we assemble will have a variety of airframes. Pilots should select the ones with which they are most comfortable, assuming they are available on their selected simulation platform.

- pilots will be required to comply with ATC instructions and interact with ATC, much as they would in the real world

- pilots will be required to be familiar with USN/USMC procedures and phraseology as they apply ATC exchanges

- operations will generally focus around:
- picking up an IFR clearance (or VFR departure instructions)
- taxiing from the ramp to the specific runway, complying with the assigned taxiways
- taking off and being handed over to TRACON/RAPCON/Center
- being sequenced for recovery by TRACON/RAPCON/Tower
- land and taxi back to the ramp
- working either as a single ship, or in a formation

- the goal here is to demonstrate to the DoD that this can be a powerful platform for training their controllers and helping them maintain proficiency. You guys will be providing real-time, human-powered traffic for the controllers. Should we secure a contract, there will be an opportunity to do this on a compensated, and regularly-scheduled basis.

To the specifics of how to participate, then:
- Interested pilots will register on the PE site and download the software for their simulator of choice (FS9, FSX, or X-Plane) (Note: the installation process for FS9/X is somewhat cumbersome right now. This will change by mid next week as we release a dedicated installer tool that does most of the work.

- as soon as practical, pilots should install, configure and test their installations at their leisure, ensuring they can see other aircraft and that their audio configuration is operational.

- with those tasks done, and a suitable number of pilots reporting that they are ready to go, we will nominate a date/time (to suit the availability of the largest number of pilots) and conduct a simple launch and recovery exercise, without a specific airframe/package list.

- based on those results, we will start becoming more specific about the operations being conducted and assembling a package that closely resembles what we would deliver for the customer in the future

- compensation will not be provided for these phases, however, under no circumstances will selected pilots be asked to pay to use the network. Note: the network itself is available right now to the public without charge while it is still under development. Once it launches in the relatively near future, that's when the subscription service will begin. Again, though, pilots taking part in this program will have the subscription charges waived, and will have carte blanche access to the network if they wish to use it outside of the exercises.

In short, pilots need to be able to operate their selected airframe with reasonable competence on the network, interact with ATC over the radio (this means you need a headset for your PC/Mac), and be able to comply with ATC instructions. Should we secure a deal with our customer, selected pilots will then be compensated for their time from that point on. In the mean time, the network will be available for your use (either for the exercises, exercise preparation, or simply at your discretion) at no charge.

Lastly, to answer the VATSIM question, yes, there are similarities in the sense that PE and VATSIM provide ATC to pilots flying simulators. Beyond that, though, the differences stack up quickly. The operation that we are conducting here would be a complete non-starter on VATSIM.

We'll continue to coordinate here on this forum for now. If the volume of messages becomes troublesome, or if either PE or the Airwarriors forum moderators feel it would be best to work with the selected pilots elsewhere, then we will establish a private area within the PE forums for the interactions to continue.

We're really excited to work with you guys, the response has been encouraging so far. It was my hope that we would find a way to get in touch with military aviators to conduct these operations (rather than civilian enthusiasts, such as myself, trying to wing it).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am interested in participating. I realize based on your new user status you probably can't respond to PM's.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I would be interested, although I don't think that the MV-22 is fully modeled in any of those FS programs.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Keith Smith:

Has there been discussions/thoughts of incorporating this technology into our flight simulators? I am involved with the MPRA communities efforts integrating through High Level Architecture (HLA) into the Navy Continuous Training Environment (NCTE) for Fleet Synthetic Training (FST) exercises.

Naval Aviation is moving rapidly towards more synthetic training and I would think your initiatives would integrate into our OFT simulators. Interested in hearing more about your company. There might even be some Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) funds and/or enough justification for a Rapid Technology Transfer (RTT) case.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am interested in participating. I realize based on your new user status you probably can't respond to PM's.

I was going in to fix that, but looks like someone already beat me to it.