• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilots requested for operations on new online network

Keith Smith

Rob,

We are absolutely interested in pursuing opportunities to integrate this technology into existing training devices, and then have those devices conduct operations either on our public network, or on a separate (private) instance of the network. There are many directions that it could go. In fact, we have additional capabilities that I haven't detailed here yet (simply because they weren't relevant to the original post).

I'll get you in touch with Mark, he'd love to speak with you about this, and has the military background that I lack (I'm told, repeatedly, that watching countless documentaries on the Blue Angels doesn't make me a Naval Aviator). I'm posting on his behalf here simply because he's tied up with FO duties on an international flight out of JFK as we speak.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Keith - PM sent with ctc info. Tell Mark I'll look forward to his e-mail/phonon on Tues.

Keith Smith

A quick update, the network was launched to the public on Oct 1, 2011. It's now growing steadily among the civilian community, including home users, flight schools, colleges and even higher end sim centers (we just completed integration with a Citation CJ3 Level 6 FTD).

Here's a video of the system being demoed (by a civilian private pilot, fair warning!), showing two laps of the pattern at Palm Springs with a T-6 Texan II, including an unscripted gear deployment issue (suggest watching full screen, HD if you're able):

As a reminder, the ATC is provided on a distributed basis (the controllers are online 15x7, distributed all over the country) to a wide range of training devices...everything from a laptop running X-Plane (as shown in the video) to full Flight Simulators, and everything in between.

Had there been other aircraft in the pattern, they would've been visible out the window, and audible over the radio. This was just a quick technical demo in an aircraft that would be of interest to the DoD.

The environment becomes so much more realistic and meaningful once you know that the ATC is real and that the other entities are watching and listening to you. I'm not sure how well the video conveys that fact, but we've seen people reduced to blubbering wrecks when they try this out at tradeshows because they didn't have their head in the game.

We're hoping this can produce a more well-prepared pilot and reduce the time spent in the airplane to get trained.

If anyone has any questions (publicly or privately), fire away. We are chipping away at getting this in front of the right people in the UPT world, but it's slow going.

Keith Smith

We do actually have clients who pull the tapes on their students flight when they've been especially liberal in their interpretation of the regs. My personal favorite was a fellow in a ATR-72 trying to land at Brown Field (KSDM). He nearly put it down into nearby Tijuana instead....4 times. It's almost as though they should warn/remind pilots that the airport is just 1nm from the Mexico/US border.

-

BE ALERT TO ARPT BDRY ONE MILE NORTH FM MEXICAN/USA INTL BORDER

Ah :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We do actually have clients who pull the tapes on their students flight when they've been especially liberal in their interpretation of the regs. My personal favorite was a fellow in a ATR-72 trying to land at Brown Field (KSDM). He nearly put it down into nearby Tijuana instead....4 times. It's almost as though they should warn/remind pilots that the airport is just 1nm from the Mexico/US border.

Ah :)

That airport configuration is just not fair to pilots. It should say on the AFD "if you see heavies/747's you are looking at the wrong airport and are in Mexico". Or "if you fly over a prison on final/base, you are in the right spot" :)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That airport configuration is just not fair to pilots. It should say on the AFD "if you see heavies/747's you are looking at the wrong airport and are in Mexico". Or "if you fly over a prison on final/base, you are in the right spot" :)

And if you have to shoot an approach to that field know that what you think is the runway is actually a highway overpass. Seriously, the TACAN (or is it just a VOR, I can't remember) final course is 90 degrees off of runway heading.

Edit- It's a VOR, and you pass over the navaid. Go missed? Welcome to Meh-HE-COE amigo.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And if you have to shoot an approach to that field know that what you think is the runway is actually a highway overpass. Seriously, the TACAN (or is it just a VOR, I can't remember) final course is 90 degrees off of runway heading.

I always went in there VFR with a wypt under the hammer, so I can't confirm or deny this, but I take your word :) There is no approach there that we could shoot so it was a VFR only gas stop, and my favorite RAG IP's favorite spot to hook his studs up with the hot girls at the FBO

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A quick update, the network was launched to the public on Oct 1, 2011. It's now growing steadily among the civilian community, including home users, flight schools, colleges and even higher end sim centers (we just completed integration with a Citation CJ3 Level 6 FTD).

Here's a video of the system being demoed (by a civilian private pilot, fair warning!), showing two laps of the pattern at Palm Springs with a T-6 Texan II, including an unscripted gear deployment issue (suggest watching full screen, HD if you're able):

As a reminder, the ATC is provided on a distributed basis (the controllers are online 15x7, distributed all over the country) to a wide range of training devices...everything from a laptop running X-Plane (as shown in the video) to full Flight Simulators, and everything in between.

Had there been other aircraft in the pattern, they would've been visible out the window, and audible over the radio. This was just a quick technical demo in an aircraft that would be of interest to the DoD.

The environment becomes so much more realistic and meaningful once you know that the ATC is real and that the other entities are watching and listening to you. I'm not sure how well the video conveys that fact, but we've seen people reduced to blubbering wrecks when they try this out at tradeshows because they didn't have their head in the game.

We're hoping this can produce a more well-prepared pilot and reduce the time spent in the airplane to get trained.

If anyone has any questions (publicly or privately), fire away. We are chipping away at getting this in front of the right people in the UPT world, but it's slow going.
So how does one sign up?

Keith Smith

Visit http://pilotedge.net, click the Join Now button in the center of the home page, enter first/last name and email address, that's it. That will give you a two week free trial.

If you're actively serving and you'd like to continue beyond the two week trial, PM me and I'll make some account adjustments, I'll leave it at that :)

Keep in mind, the 'stock' service that we provide doesn't include ATC at military fields (other than joint use facilities such as Yuma), but if this service is ultimately utilized by the DoD, we could provide service at those fields, or they could run with this technology on-base and roll their own ATC using their own folks. In other words, if there are certain elements that are missing, know that this could be customized/redeployed as needed for DoD use.

One application that I haven't mentioned until now is that we also have 300+ VFR aircraft flying 24/7 on the system (pre-recorded aircraft that are played back on a schedule). Many of those are military. See below for a video of a flight along VR1257 in Southern California following 3 pre-recorded F-18's (suggest watching from 43min mark to around the 60min mark)

Keep in mind, those F18's were flown by hand 2 years ago and now play back on the network 24/7. In fact, they leave out of KNLC every 5-10 minutes and finish up at El Centro. One potential application of this would be to have IP's fly certain profiles and have the students follow along at their leisure from any low cost training device. In other words, an IP could record the lead for a flight along a MTR and then two students could join up 6 months later and join up with that aircraft, resulting in a 3 ship consisting of a recorded lead and 2 live aircraft.

The gear is down on those aircraft only due to drawing limitations in the sim that I was using, btw!

We also have 2 T-38's beating up the pattern at Nellis (3L) and an F-15 doing a demo launching off 3R.

Unfortunately, the aircraft on the MTR's do a lot of low level work and due to terrain differences between the low-cost sims, if you're flying FSX, it's going to think the aircraft went underground and removes them from the session. So, if you elect to follow them, you'll probably want to be using X-Plane (which is what the included video was using).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You guys are aware that the Hornet came from McDonnel-Douglas equipped with retractable landing gear, right? As in they go up.... :p

Keith Smith

Nothing gets past you, sir...except perhaps the part of my post that read:
The gear is down on those aircraft only due to drawing limitations in the sim that I was using, btw!

The gear on those drones are up, but my sim is showing them as being down because it doesn't have the ability to animate the gear.

I'm surprised you haven't addressed the part where they fly through the tops of some of the hills :) That's due to terrain differences between X-Plane 9 (which was used to record those flights) and X-Plane 10 (which I'm flying in the video).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Nothing gets past you, sir...except perhaps the part of my post that read:

The gear on those drones are up, but my sim is showing them as being down because it doesn't have the ability to animate the gear.

I'm surprised you haven't addressed the part where they fly through the tops of some of the hills :) That's due to terrain differences between X-Plane 9 (which was used to record those flights) and X-Plane 10 (which I'm flying in the video).

Well played.....I blame my reading comprehension on this stupid cold I have :)