• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Pilots also have officer duties." Can somebody please elaborate?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Hello all,

First off, I'm planning to submit a SWO/NFO/Pilot package in January and I only finished my ASTB last week, so I really know nothing. Huge fan of these forums, though. Everyone is tremendously helpful. I tried a few searches on this and didn't find anything.

I've read in multiple places that pilots also have shipboard duties. I've also read that these duties are often the biggest performance factor in a pilot's career (that is to say, you are expected to fly like you could do it in your sleep, but it's the officer stuff that sets you apart in theory). What sorts of shipboard officer duties do pilots take on? Is it div-type stuff that SWOs do, where you basically just get assigned arbitrarily to the reporting structure of any given division? (That in itself may be a gross misstatement of SWOs, but I'm just regurgitating what I've read.)

Thanks!

P3 F0

None
Have you done a search on these boards for that info? I'm pretty sure we've talked about it many times...

The short answer to your question is Yes.

AllYourBass

pilot

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've also read that these duties are often the biggest performance factor in a pilot's career (that is to say, you are expected to fly like you could do it in your sleep, but it's the officer stuff that sets you apart in theory). What sorts of shipboard officer duties do pilots take on? Is it div-type stuff that SWOs do, where you basically just get assigned arbitrarily to the reporting structure of any given division?

Pretty much on, your 'collateral' duties, Div. Off. & others jobs - are very important when graded in perodic fitness reports which affects promotions. Airmanship standards are expected to be excellent, so usually only above or below standard would be commented upon in reports. Yes, your ground duties do take precedence over the flight schedule (like solving problems w/ your Sailors, etc.), but by managing your prioritys efficiently, your 'day job' will be fine & you can bag your share (or+) of flight hours as well.

If you list your priorties SWO/NFO/Pilot (as shown in yor post), I wonder if your motivation for flight is sufficient to navigate the rigorous Navy flight training program?:confused:

*Now if the concept of 'day job' trumping flying your a** off day/night, then the USAF may be your dream program. No dark, moonless, rainy night approaches to land on a dark, pitching, rolling 600' runway...with no other place too land within 1000 miles... and a lot of USAF flying gigs have no day jobs, a plus I guess BUT, that day long flying may be yanking a stick from a comfy recliner, in a windowless cell in Las Vega$!

Search, learn...decide.
BzB

AllYourBass

pilot
Pretty much on, your 'collateral' duties, Div. Off. & others jobs - are very important when graded in perodic fitness reports which affects promotions. Airmanship standards are expected to be excellent, so usually only above or below standard would be commented upon in reports. Yes, your ground duties do take precedence over the flight schedule (like solving problems w/ your Sailors, etc.), but by managing your prioritys efficiently, your 'day job' will be fine & you can bag your share (or+) of flight hours as well.

If you list your priorties SWO/NFO/Pilot (as shown in yor post), I wonder if your motivation for flight is sufficient to navigate the rigorous Navy flight training program?:confused:

*Now if the concept of 'day job' trumping flying your a** off day/night, then the USAF may be your dream program. No dark, moonless, rainy night approaches to land on a dark, pitching, rolling 600' runway...with no other place too land within 1000 miles... and a lot of USAF flying gigs have no day jobs, a plus I guess BUT, that day long flying may be yanking a stick from a comfy recliner, in a windowless cell in Las Vega$!

Search, learn...decide.
BzB

I type the SWO/NFO/Pilot thing in whatever order the acronyms assemble in my head, which is usually [acronym]/[acronym]/[word]...but it varies :) Really, I feel like I'm drawn to each of those communities for their own unique reasons, and given the competitive OCS acceptance rates for FY13, I'd be glad to be picked up for any of them (my first priority is to serve as an officer, and second to serve how I'd like to). Flight just seems so incredibly exciting and otherworldly—if that was the path that opened for me, I'd pursue it with a stupid smile and a hell of a lot of work. SWO would get me out on the water/in the world faster, and for a shorter period of time, but let's face it: I wouldn't be in the sky, and it's just not comparable in that regard (not that I need to sell any of you fine Airwarriors folk on that point of view).

AllYourBass

pilot
:confused: I don't know about that...

Err, I meant time commitment to the military, not length of time underway... if that's how it came off :) The only thing at all giving me pause and something to think about regarding pilot is the 10-year haul. Not that I don't understand why it plays out that way, of course.

AllYourBass

pilot
I can guarantee you'd enjoy 10 years in aviation a hell of a lot more than any length of time as a SWO. Search the SWO threads if you're unclear why.

I think that would certainly be the case. It's more about who I'm leaving behind here and some other details like that. But that's all the shit you work out internally before you buckle down, and since I don't even submit my package until January, I've done a good job procrastinating on sitting down with a gin and tonic and pursuing that train of thought.

KBayDog

...I've done a good job procrastinating on sitting down with a gin and tonic and pursuing that train of thought.

Stick with the gin & tonic, because when you start mixing gin with other things, you run into problems...like that one party when everyone got they cup, but they ain't chipped in.

gin_and_juice_281x211.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Stick with the gin & tonic, because when you start mixing gin with other things, you run into problems...like that one party when everyone got they cup, but they ain't chipped in.

I've heard this shit happens all the time. Care to comment?

KBayDog

I've heard this shit happens all the time. Care to comment?

Funny you should mention it...indeed, this type of shit DOES happen all the time. See, most noble, most highly honored Sir, you gotta get yours...but fool, I gotta get mine.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Funny you should mention it...indeed, this type of shit DOES happen all the time. See, most noble, most highly honored Sir, you gotta get yours...but fool, I gotta get mine.
Yeah, but I've got a pocket full of rubbers and minds on my money and my moneys on my mind!