• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot to NFO

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Had a friend ask me a question today and I told her I'd try to find out for her. Has anyone heard of anyone getting down to API and switching from SNA to SNFO (because they want to, not for like medical or anything like that)? Anyone with any insight think its likely possible or not?

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Anything is possible, I have heard of people thinking they were getting a SNA slot then ended up with an NFO slot post TBS...but it wasn't really their choice. That said, with my limited experience I would say that stranger things have happened...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Had a friend ask me a question today and I told her I'd try to find out for her. Has anyone heard of anyone getting down to API and switching from SNA to SNFO (because they want to, not for like medical or anything like that)? Anyone with any insight think its likely possible or not?

I'm not sure about in API, but I definitely know people who have switched for SNA to SNFO in pipeline. They still wanted to fly but realized that the stick monkey stuff wasn't for them.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I have never heard of anyone wanting to switch from SNA to SNFO. Heard of lots of SNFO's wanting to switch to SNA. Excluding any type of official limit (age, medical, etc) I doubt there has been many if any who switch from SNA to SNFO. If you friend really wants to switch I bet they can find a SNFO at API who would love to switch. I have to ask why?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Two of my buddies switched from Pilot to NFO, but that was after the NAMI Doc told them they couldn't see well anymore.

Crowbar

None
I met somebody earlier this year who had DORd from advanced and was trying to go FO. Liked flying, just not the flying part of flying. Didn't work out, and that person ended up with a new MOS, but there are definitely people out there who want to do it.

If your friend isn't even at API yet, is it something their (NROTC?) unit can work out for them?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I met somebody earlier this year who had DORd from advanced and was trying to go FO. Liked flying, just not the flying part of flying. Didn't work out, and that person ended up with a new MOS, but there are definitely people out there who want to do it.

But who wants to do it before they even show up to API? Someone who DOR's, gets NPQ for eyesight or something else (age, etc) is different then someone just wanting to switch.

The original question is if anyone has switched that didn't have some type of issue that caused them to switch. We have all heard of NPQ's, DOR, etc. But has anyone heard of a SNA that just switched to SNFO just because they wanted to?

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
There was a kid who failed primary in corpus and they sent him to pcola to give snfo a shot, dont know if he ever made it through.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
There was a kid who failed primary in corpus and they sent him to pcola to give snfo a shot, dont know if he ever made it through.
When I was in VT-86, there were a couple T-45 washouts that came through...I have never heard of a primary washout going in as an NFO.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone with any insight think its likely possible or not?

Even though no one has every heard of it, I still think it might be possible. I would guess that the CO of NASC would want to know why. I would also like to hear the answer. I think the answer is your friend saw this video and wanted to switch.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
RetreadRand said:
you all say it like there is something wrong with it

Agreed. As if switching from SNA to SNFO would be a downgrade? I had a friend who switched from SNA to SNFO during API. It was a personal decision and nobody bugged him about it. Different strokes for different folks.

I think the million dollar question would be if anyone knew of a WINGED pilot go back to train as an NFO?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Nothing like hearing "I must break you," in the Drago voice right before you get it on.

MasterBates

So do most of the female bodybuilders do it because of their face, or does their face just start to look like that because they body build?

I have seen what steroids do to women.. Scary shit. No, it wasn't the Manatee.