• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot to NFO

phrogpilot73

I agree, but the Navy rules are different......

I do remember the Marine who DQ'd at the boat in the Prowler RAG wearing his pilot wings when he came back through as an ECMO, some instructors were not happy about that.
Our rules are definitely different than the Navy's... If I remember correctly, they are required to wear them if they've earned them...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our rules are definitely different than the Navy's... If I remember correctly, they are required to wear them if they've earned them...

Good on the Marines, though we do have a lot more pins which I think is part of the reason for the rule. Less ribbons too, I like that......

Though I do have a question for you, why do the parachute wings go above the NFO and NA wings? The pilot wings are older and are harder to earn, so it makes no sense to me.......

phrogpilot73

Good on the Marines, though we do have a lot more pins which I think is part of the reason for the rule. Less ribbons too, I like that......

Though I do have a question for you, why do the parachute wings go above the NFO and NA wings? The pilot wings are older and are harder to earn, so it makes no sense to me.......
Straight from uniform regs:

"i. When the Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia is worn, the basic parachutist insignia will not be worn. When aviation insignia is worn with the basic or Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia, the parachutist insignia will be centered 1/8 inch above any aviation insignia."

My guess would be that not many people get the Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia so the "lead sled" since it's smaller would look better when positioned above.

darkhorse18

Hey, last I checked a couple months back, the Navy was in such a hurt for pilots that they switched something like 50 FO candidates to NA candidates in A-Pool. Switching isn't unheard of. One of my good friends down here washed out in Primary at Corpus, and they let her come here. She's been kicking ass in VT-10. As for other examples of winged aviators switching to FO, our Academic Training Officer, who's a Marine major, did it. Some crazy story, but he winged as a pilot then got sent back to wing again as a FO. I've never heard of a winged pilot to navigator conversion in the Air Force, but the Navy and Marine Corps have definitely done it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I do remember the Marine who DQ'd at the boat in the Prowler RAG wearing his pilot wings when he came back through as an ECMO, some instructors were not happy about that.

I just don't get this. So he DQ'ed at the boat after winging, but he still made it through the syllabus, which is essentially a PQS to earn wings (I'm oversimplifying, I know, but you get my point). Not everyone can be a tailhooker, get over it. I understand losing the wings if it's a safety issue, but if the FENAB said he can keep the wings, then so be it.

It seems to me (and I know it's only my perception) that these are the same guys that tend to give jet guys bad names. Not directed at you, Flash, as I understand you're stating the facts of the situation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just don't get this. So he DQ'ed at the boat after winging, but he still made it through the syllabus, which is essentially a PQS to earn wings (I'm oversimplifying, I know, but you get my point). Not everyone can be a tailhooker, get over it. I understand losing the wings if it's a safety issue, but if the FENAB said he can keep the wings, then so be it.

It seems to me (and I know it's only my perception) that these are the same guys that tend to give jet guys bad names. Not directed at you, Flash, as I understand you're stating the facts of the situation.

Experience the Prowler RAG and you will understand, some of the instructors were real pricks........:(