• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot shortage?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Not always so. Like here Captains can check out in just a few years. Depends on growth. If most ab initio guys go on the line with 400-500hours, they have to log another 1000 or so to get an ATP, or whatever their country requires. That should take at least 2 years.
Yes it is sometimes possible to upgrade quickly at an airline, but it’s not common practice, and it’s after a good deal more flying plus sims. It’s not the same as a cat1 with a bit of T-6, then sims then RAG flying with a new aircraft commander.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Perhaps they have addressed it by making new pilots faster and have given up on any hope of solving retention. If you can't stop the leak just increase your input to make sure the numbers work with the leak.
You just described high volume hiring at my company. Want a job?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Not always so. Like here Captains can check out in just a few years. Depends on growth. If most ab initio guys go on the line with 400-500hours, they have to log another 1000 or so to get an ATP, or whatever their country requires. That should take at least 2 years.

2 years to log 1000 hours... must be nice. On the other hand, the pay is generally not so nice.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The 12 months before COVID I logged about 900 hours. And the pay was not nice, it was outstanding.

I'll bet!

My post was intended to reference pilots still working on their ATP certificate, who usually make significantly less from their flying than you do.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorta depends :p

Always liked that song. I prefer the Jimmy Buffet performance though. With his aviation background and free ranging flying in the Caribbean, it had an air of authenticity.