• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot or NFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Tucker

Like many of you guys, I am waiting on more slots to open to submit my pilot application. My packet was ready to send out when my recruiter called me at the last minute and gave me the bad news about the wait. Since then, I have read that many of you have, or will be applying for NFO slots in the near future. I am absolutely addicted to flying and know that this is the only thing I could envision myself doing in the military, and know that many of you share this same passion as well. This is why i don't understand why many are changing their positions from applying pilot, and instead applying NFO. Am I missing a lot of details concerning NFO training? Would someone be able to compare these two jobs for me, other than the obvious. What would persuade a pilot applicant to apply NFO?

Thanks

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
hehe...I understand totally how Jet Junkie feels about being a pilot or a "control freak". even if I'm in a car and somebody else is driving I'm nervous, I don't feel comfortable unless I'm at the controls. same thing with flight, going up in the small planes I was case of nerves until I got behind the controls, then I was relaxed as anything. it's the whole reason I hate roller coasters too, the motions don't bother me neither does the speed, it's the fact that I'm not in control of what it's doing...it's the whole reason I'd probably never make it as an NFO. of course this response had nothing to do with the topic....:)

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JetJunkies post is pretty much right on. I have been an NFO for 23 years, that after coming up 20/40 on the eye test at the recruiter's office. I was a civilian pilot with most my ratings, but wanted a the tail hook experience. My buddies that stayed in the civilian pilot pipeline lived on mac and cheese, had dozens of students try to kill them in sweltering tin spam cans, and basicly made zero $$ for years. All during that time I was driving the hotest new sports car, living in a beach community and although I worked hard, sometimes, I was rewarded by going to work in a tactical jet with all the latest gadgets, working with first class individuals, seeing the world and honest to God feeling like you were contributing to something larger than yourself. Now all this would have been true if I had one anchor on my wings, as it would for any of you. But, it isn't worth missing the experience just because you can't drive the bus. If you absolutely want to be an airline pilot when you get out, pilot is the best way to go. I do fly for AA now, but the NFO to airline deal can be hard (it was easy for me, long story). If you aren't sold on the airlines than being an NFO is just as good a deal as pilot. There are no bars to career opportunities in the Navy. NFOs are not second class citizens. You can have the experience of your life and still have every oportunity a pilot has in the Navy and out, except for two, LSO (in) and airline pilot (out). You gotta be sure, but don't sell NFO short.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One more thing on the "control" issue. It becomes a non issue for most NFOs with confidence in their own training and their pilot's. It comes once you experience Navy flight training and the people in NAVAIR. Courage helps too. Sometimes, rarely, I felt I needed more than the pilot! As to feeling out of control. As a pilot NFOs in E-2s will tell you where to go and officers on ships will usually be authorizing weapons free. NFOs in EA-6Bs will have your safety in their hands everytime you go over the beach. But you won't feel out of control for all the reasons stated above. It is a two way street paved with trust and confidence in your fellow aviators.

Dave Shutter

I have a lot friends in the NFO pipeline and a lot of it boils down to attitude I think. You can think of the pilot as your chaufer while you're the one getting the job done; dropping the bombs, jamming the radar, shooting the HARMS, Phoenix's and being mission commander for the package going in over enemy territory. Personally I wouldn't like sitting back there while seomeone else does the night landing but I quess, like dozens of other things, you'll get used to it.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Better chance of getting jets and being part of the "Carrier Navy" if you go NFO.

Can you explain what this means please?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

onee

Wink;
Your response was interesting and I am now curious to know your long story on how you went from NFO to AA pilot.
What can I read, or where can I go to find out more info on what exactly NFO's do? For example, howmany different types of NFO's does an F/A 18 need, and what are their different responsibilities...and same info for all the other platforms.
If you have the answer post away ...
Thx

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Its nice to see people with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE replying. Thanks for taking the time Wink, it is a much needed change around here

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
hey am i the only one who is a little surprised that so many SNA's are getting helos and not jets? It seems like the strike pipeline dominates the Navy and I would think there would be a ton more spots available for it.

I dont know maybe its just me

Blake

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two pilots in every helo, only one in a tactical jet. That is one reason. Otherwise it is hard to say why selections go the way they do. What you heard may have already changed. Things do run in cycles.
onegembu,
what an NFO exactly does varies with the aircraft and the mission it is performing at that time. All naval aircraft are multi-mission now. A RIO in a F-14 can run intercepts in a air to air enviornment and launch missles or be a tactical navigator and bombadier in the air to mud mission. All along the way an NFO, especially in TACAIR is the pilot's best copliot. Gives him the info he needs, reduces work load for him, strokes the ego if necessary and stays quiet on the ball unless about to die. Only NFOs in navy F-18s are the new super bugs, Foxtrot model. He will operate like the F-14 RIO. Marines have NFOs in the little bug Delta models. They are particularly well versed on FAC-Airborne. E-2 NFOs are the original moles. They are the man behind the curtain though. They run the show. Keep the radar plot, defend the battlespace, keep the link singing along and comms sweet. EA-6B guys make going over the beach tolerable. Used to be EW. Now it is Information Warfare (IW). They can kill them with 'trons or Harms. The future is in IW whether Prowlers or the follow-on. S-3s were good to me. Not sure any of you will see it. The Bravo can shoot Harpoons, SLAM-ERs, Mavericks, drop torpedos, mines, and dumb bombs. Hoovers have a great ESM suite and really good Radar. Of course they are the primary tanker until the Super Bugs take over. The latest versions of the Hoover can do anything but shoot down another aircraft. It is just a 3G aircraft after all. Too bad it is going away. That is TACAIR NFO off the top of my head.

JKD

wink,

thanks for the posts...

This topic and your posts come in an interesting time for me. I gave up on my ambitions for pilot a couple of years ago due to the age requirement. After looking at the latest requirements for NFO, I could still be in the running (age wise).

I will complete my degree in April '04, and turn 32 December '04 (would require the 2 year waver for active duty time).

I'm not sure I have a specific question - just wanted to say I appreciate your participation on the board.

Oh, I've got one - anyone know of a case where someone is granted a wavier beyond the posted max eligibility wavier age for pilot? (Just so I can totally eliminate that option)

thanks again (to everyone).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never have heard of an age waiver beyond the stated waiverable limit, ie prior service. Lots of guys on the forum think anything is waiverable if you score high enough on the test or have a congressman write a letter or sometihing. Some of the eligibility standards are actually statutory. They simply can not be waivered because they are as good as law. They can change. But they are as stated, unless it says waiverable.

onee

Wink,
thanks a million for your posts. I'll have better structured questions for you down the line as I gradually understand what exactly it is I'm doing.
bouncy_125.gif

DDriver

What is the max age limit for NFO and Pilot for prior guys?
Is it the same for all the services?

I am also a control-freak type... I'll take a helo or one of the "heavies" anytime. I read somewhere that they'll give top-SNFO a lateral transfer to SNA. What if that "top-SNFO" was, say 32 years old during training?

DDriver
(Eng'g major, High GPA-ASTB, prior, held-Leadership positions,perfect physicals)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Top SNFOs" DO NOT get laterals to pilot. Does not happen. Don't go NFO thinking you can!!! NFO is not a second rate job. Sends the wrong message to let top NFO students go pilot. Then who is left behind? IT DOES NOT HAPPEN! If after a fleet tour as an NFO, IF the Navy is critically short of pilots in a certain year group, ie seniority, they will open up laterals NFO to pilot. They have to need people in a certain year group and you have to be in that year group and available after a fleet tour. Years will go by with just zero, one or two, laterals to pilot. In 23 years I knew three guys that got laterals because the navy really needed guys in that year group. When it does happen you also stay in the aircraft you came from. BAD GOUGE ALERT..Top NFO students do not transfer to pilot. Pass it around before someone makes a career mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.