• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot/NFO Board Changes (Effective IMMEDIATELY)

Ya got me. I'm sure whatever you're doing on the outside is much more rewarding than being an NFO could ever possibly be.

Look, you guys are sweating bullets over maybe not getting your first choice. I get that. But consider two things: one, what an OCS selection board says does not seal your fate. You all are talking like if you don't get what you want right out of the gate, you're doomed to a miserable life. Two, you've had zero exposure to Naval aviation and what NFOs (or NAs, for that matter, really) actually do. Your options are always much better once you're aboard than when you're on the outside looking in. Get FO, see if you like it. If not - or if being a pilot just looks like more your bag - apply to redesignate when appropriate. Worst case? That doesn't work out and you get a fun, interesting, and well-paid flying job for a few years.

Speaking as someone who really wanted to be a pilot and wasn't interested in NFO out of USNA, I've had a fantastic career as an NFO that I've enjoyed a lot and wouldn't trade for anything. I've had contractor flight test jobs for almost all my post-Navy career, which I certainly never would've imagined in the summer of '99. We've got NFOs on this board who did all kinds of shit on the outside, including airline pilots. Be willing to take a chance on your second choice - your life and career and desires can evolve along with whatever the universe throws at you.

Or be 50 one day and sit around telling your fellow tractor insurance salesmen how you could've flown for the Navy but they wanted you to ride in the back seat.

I apologize if I am coming off like an whiny, naive wannabe. I mean no disrespect to NFOs or any other officer. If I was fully against becoming one, I would have never put it down on that application. However, when I did so, I applied under the pretenses of it not affecting my chances of SNA. Now that this has been changed, I want to do everything I can to preserve my number one choice. I am grateful for those who have posted in this thread, as it has helped me make an important gut decision.

Although if my intuition is correct, it would serve my best interest to not share any information or bump this thread. However, I don't want to just be a leech. It's not who I am. So that's what all the fixation is about.

Carina

Are these calls coming from a "No Caller ID" number? I am asking because I received a call yesterday during work and could not pick up, and because it was No ID I could not call back.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Ya got me. I'm sure whatever you're doing on the outside is much more rewarding than being an NFO could ever possibly be.

Look, you guys are sweating bullets over maybe not getting your first choice. I get that. But consider two things: one, what an OCS selection board says does not seal your fate. You all are talking like if you don't get what you want right out of the gate, you're doomed to a miserable life. Two, you've had zero exposure to Naval aviation and what NFOs (or NAs, for that matter, really) actually do. Your options are always much better once you're aboard than when you're on the outside looking in. Get FO, see if you like it. If not - or if being a pilot just looks like more your bag - apply to redesignate when appropriate. Worst case? That doesn't work out and you get a fun, interesting, and well-paid flying job for a few years.

Speaking as someone who really wanted to be a pilot and wasn't interested in NFO out of USNA, I've had a fantastic career as an NFO that I've enjoyed a lot and wouldn't trade for anything. I've had contractor flight test jobs for almost all my post-Navy career, which I certainly never would've imagined in the summer of '99. We've got NFOs on this board who did all kinds of shit on the outside, including airline pilots. Be willing to take a chance on your second choice - your life and career and desires can evolve along with whatever the universe throws at you.

Or be 50 one day and sit around telling your fellow tractor insurance salesmen how you could've flown for the Navy but they wanted you to ride in the back seat.
...True

N

NavyTrad

If you list BOTH when applying, is it possible to PROREC Y for both SNA and SNFO and then choose?