• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot/NFO Board Changes (Effective IMMEDIATELY)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Airwarriors,

Effective IMMEDIATELY, the board process for Pilot/NFO will change. Instead, it will be now known as an Aviation Board. Every applicant going to the JULY Aviation Board (and beyond) will be considered for either PILOT OR NFO, unless their application states that they will accept PILOT ONLY.

An applicant putting Pilot only on their APSR/application could reduce chance of selection.

When the results come out, it will say the following: PROREC Pilot, PROREC NFO, or Not Selected. Applicants will have two weeks to accept the board results or decline further processing. If NRC doesn't hear anything by 15 it will be considered non-activity and you will be automatically considered a decline. Be advised, if you decline that your chances of being selected in the future reduce significantly, regardless of your stats.

If you have no desire to become an NFO, DO NOT LIST it on your application. There is a good possibility you could be selected based off your stats/needs of the Navy. Otherwise, if you are fine becoming a Pilot or NFO list both with either or being your first/second choice.

If you submitted both Pilot/NFO and having second thoughts on being an NFO, please contact your OR immediately (or Fleet Processor if AD) so they can make corrections for the upcoming board.

exNavyOffRec

That kind of makes sense, and really the guys I had that wanted to go aviation several wanted pilot only, but other would take either, so for what I did this really wouldn't be much of a change.

It does however but the responsibility on the OR to properly brief the applicants.

egri

It seems like they started moving in that direction on the April board. There seemed to be a good number of applicants who put SNA but were picked up for SNFO instead.

hdr777

pilot
An applicant putting Pilot only on their APSR/application could reduce chance of selection.

Do you know how it impacts the chances of selection? I applied to the July board as Pilot only, knowing at the time it wouldn't impact my chance of selection for pilot, because I knew I would want to go pilot, but I wasn't 100% committed to NFO (currently), and because if I didn't get selected as a pilot for the July board, I could reapply as both for the next board.

Otherwise, if you are fine becoming a Pilot or NFO list both with either or being your first/second choice.

So you say that if you prefer pilot over NFO (or vice versa) you can rank them? How heavily would the board weigh your choice? Is it kind of up to them to determine how many slots that the Navy needs filled, and try to split them evenly between the best qualified applicants (say they need 40 total, 20 of each, they first select the top 40, and try to evenly distribute people to Pilot or NFO)? I realize you might not know this, as it's the first board with this change, I'm just curious how they may make decisions.

Also, slightly unrelated question, but just curious, for ROTC/USNA, do you see them doing something similar where people get selected (or apply, or put that they prefer) aviation, and then someone else decides if NFO or pilot?

Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Do you know how it impacts the chances of selection? I applied to the July board as Pilot only, knowing at the time it wouldn't impact my chance of selection for pilot, because I knew I would want to go pilot, but I wasn't 100% committed to NFO (currently), and because if I didn't get selected as a pilot for the July board, I could reapply as both for the next board.

No idea what extent it will hurt your application. My indication will be very little if not much for now, but if Navy recruiting needs more NFOs again it could go a bit further.

So you say that if you prefer pilot over NFO (or vice versa) you can rank them? How heavily would the board weigh your choice? Is it kind of up to them to determine how many slots that the Navy needs filled, and try to split them evenly between the best qualified applicants (say they need 40 total, 20 of each, they first select the top 40, and try to evenly distribute people to Pilot or NFO)? I realize you might not know this, as it's the first board with this change, I'm just curious how they may make decisions.

Also, slightly unrelated question, but just curious, for ROTC/USNA, do you see them doing something similar where people get selected (or apply, or put that they prefer) aviation, and then someone else decides if NFO or pilot?

Thanks!

Yes you can still put preferences and the board will consider. But once again, NRC has it's own mission to make and if Pilots are almost filled and NFO is behind glideslope they will start selecting more NFOs.

USNA and NROTC does have similar circumstances.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I already contacted my NOR, inquiring as to whether or not she could strike SNFO from the APSR. Is it too late for that, considering how long ago the packets were due?

FormerRecruitingGuru

I already contacted my NOR, inquiring as to whether or not she could strike SNFO from the APSR. Is it too late for that, considering how long ago the packets were due?

Possibly not since the Applicant list keeps changing everyday. My guess is that ORs and either adding or removing choices to align with what the applicant wants to do.

jjg

Does the reduction come in the sense that you cut your chances by not going NFO and having less options to get accepted or in a sense that they look at applicants less favorably who only have pilot compared to both?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Possibly not since the Applicant list keeps changing everyday. My guess is that ORs and either adding or removing choices to align with what the applicant wants to do.

Not sure how applicable this is in the general sense, but according to my NOR it is too late to change what's already been submitted to the 11JUL17 board.

jjg

Not sure how applicable this is in the general sense, but according to my NOR it is too late to change what's already been submitted to the 11JUL17 board.
My OR contacted me today and asked if I wanted to specifically designate or keep both options. I kept both...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Your recruiter might not know or might be afraid your application might miss this board if any other changes are made.