• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot...is it possible

debrickj

I am a sophmore in college i dont have the best grades. I was wondering what the chances are that i would fly a harrier for the USMC? I will either be going to PLC or OSC i havent quite decided that yet. After i go through that and then basic training from my understanding you pick your MOS. What are the requirements to be a harrier pilot. Any comments will be appreciated

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
The next thing someone is going to tell you is to post your actual grades. "Not the best" to you might be "awesome" to others.

Lonestar155

is good to go
You have a lot of learning to do as far as the process goes. Check out Marineofficer.com. Learn what it takes to become a Marine officer and what it takes to get there. Grades are not everything. You will need a competitive PFT and ASTB score. Do some research and when you are ready contact your OSO! Good luck!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I am a sophmore in college i dont have the best grades. I was wondering what the chances are that i would fly a harrier for the USMC?

If you don't have at least a 3.99 then you should quit now. :) jk, in all seriousness as long as you have the grades to get into the program then there is very little impact on your airframe selection. Obviously if you do not have the grades to get into the Marine Corps then your chances of flying harriers is pretty low. Take one step at a time and do your best, you may decide you don't want harriers once you get in or you may just not be cut out for it.

I will either be going to PLC or OSC i havent quite decided that yet. After i go through that and then basic training from my understanding you pick your MOS.

By OSC I am assuming you mean OCS, in which going to PLC will still be OCS so I think you mean PLC vs. OCC. If that is the case then you really have no choice in the matter. If you enter the program prior to graduating college then you will be PLC, otherwise you will be OCC.

As for "pick(ing) your MOS"...well I will just say that it is nowhere near that simple. Do a search on here for the following topics: flight school, primary, advanced (jets), API, TBS, MOS...well and just about anything else. Spend some time reading the posts and figure out what information you need yet.

What are the requirements to be a harrier pilot. Any comments will be appreciated

They are far more numerous then I care to write about right now...but here is the simplified timeline.

OCS -> TBS -> API -> Primary -> Select Jets/Rotary/Prop -> Advanced -> Select specific aircraft -> FRS -> Fleet...

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I am a sophmore in college i dont have the best grades. I was wondering what the chances are that i would fly a harrier for the USMC? I will either be going to PLC or OSC i havent quite decided that yet. After i go through that and then basic training from my understanding you pick your MOS. What are the requirements to be a harrier pilot. Any comments will be appreciated

Also note that you don't "pick" your MOS... on the SNA side you compete for it, same thing on the ground side. I think jamnww covered the rest. good luck.

thull

everything you do counts. do everything as well as you can. don't give up and don't get fat. you'll fly harriers one day.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
If you are a sophomore in in college you *might* make it to selection in time to pick harriers. The F-35B will be replacing them in the near future, and the USMC/RN are the first on the list to get them due to the age of the current fleet harriers.

thull

If you are a sophomore in in college you *might* make it to selection in time to pick harriers. The F-35B will be replacing them in the near future, and the USMC/RN are the first on the list to get them due to the age of the current fleet harriers.

Poor guy might have to settle for the F-35...:D

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

They said the same thing about MV-22s back in the early 1980s...take all the aircraft upgrades with a grain of salt...

VAmookie

I do believe the minimum GPA required is 2.0

Along with that, usually the min GPA for staying in college 2.0. Since you're a sophomore i would assume that you're maintaining at least a 2.01 or better which means you're eligible for the program. And dont think you'll be the only, first, or last person who barely squeeked by in college to become a Marine Officer

...just dont sqeek by in the Marine Corps or TBS

MasterBates

Not to piss on anyones parade, but when the timelines are posted for IOC for new aircraft, they tend to be VERY optimistic.

Especially if claimed by the contractor.

If you were to belive Sikorsky's timeline when I was given a brief at NASWF in 2002 there was a 50-50 chance I would have done my HAC cruise in a 60R.

2 years AFTER I made HAC, they are only flying them at the RAG and Pax, and in limited numbers.

IOC does not mean all the old ones are gone in a flash.

Look at the SH-2 SeaSprite. The 60B was operational in 1983, and th H-2s were still flying into the late 90's. (I think the reserve unit may have made it into the 21st century, but I am too lazy to research that right now)

phrogpilot73

Look at the SH-2 SeaSprite. The 60B was operational in 1983, and th H-2s were still flying into the late 90's. (I think the reserve unit may have made it into the 21st century, but I am too lazy to research that right now)
Affirm, the reserve unit did make it to the 21st century. They came to the fleet fly-in when I was in HT's, and it was their last gig before Davis Monthan. That was in 2000. How many Marines do you know that have SH-2 time in the logbook? Even if it is only 0.3 of second pilot time...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SH-2 guys actually logged all the time for the SNAs? Wow, what nice guys. When I did NHA fly in I didnt bother logging all the 0.2s and 0.3s for all the guys I flew, as far as the NAVFLIR was concerned I was alone and unafraid.