• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot...is it possible

phrogpilot73

The SH-2 guys actually logged all the time for the SNAs? Wow, what nice guys. When I did NHA fly in I didnt bother logging all the 0.2s and 0.3s for all the guys I flew, as far as the NAVFLIR was concerned I was alone and unafraid.
I think they did it not to be nice guys, but because they were headed to the boneyard after the NHA fly in. Kind of like keeping their legacy going... If I was flying a Phrog to the boneyard, you can be damn sure that I'd make sure all the studs had the mighty Battle Phrog flight time in their logbook.

williamtcox

So in line with the topic. I am applying for an opportunity for an air contract. I have graduated with a double major in Management and Marketing with GPA 3.17. My ASTB scores are 6/7/6 51. Am I competitive from a basic standpoint?

Thanks,
Cox

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Go to an OSO and start putting your application package together. Once you start to go over all the details, he will be able to tell you if you are "competitive". Theres not really a basic standpoint. As long as you meet the minimum requirements, all anyone on this site will be able to tell you is to apply.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to piss on anyones parade, but when the timelines are posted for IOC for new aircraft, they tend to be VERY optimistic..........

IOC does not mean all the old ones are gone in a flash.

Initial Operational Capability (IOC) is typically defined as the first deployable unit fully equipped, trained and ready to deploy so as implied above, the transition to a new airframe will take quite some time. The reason it slides in most cases is generally due to developmental delays. The most crucial juncture is OPEVAL (Operational Evaluation) conducted under auspices of COMOPTEVFOR (Commander Operational Test and Evaluation Force) that owns a number of Operational Test VX squadrons (such as VX-1, VX-9, part of HMX-1 as well as a specialized unit for MV-22). COMOPTEVFOR makes a crucial judgement on Operational Effectiveness and Suitability BEFORE Full Rate Production (FRP) so the transition doesn't start in earnest until they report up the chain (direct to VCNO and in case of major programs and all aircraft all major programs) to OSD Director of Operational Test and Evaluation (DOT&E). NAVAIR (using a collective term for the PEO Program Offices) won't send an aircraft to OPEVAL unless they are sure it will pass and COMOPTEVFOR won't test it unless it is a production representative configuration so therein lies the rub and a big reason why programs slide. If there are developmental issues, the aircraft will stay with Developmental Test (DT) squadrons (such as VX-20, HX-21, VX-23) until it is ready for prime time and certified by the cognizant Program Executive Officer (PEO) as ready for Operational Test (by means of a Operational Test Readiness Review (OTRR)).

That said, the whole plan is breifed to Congressional annually and the Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M) are part of "legal" testimony to the hill by DoD(available on-line). That includes the IOC and expected date for FRP and a host of other acquisition programmatic dates. There isn'y hardly any wiggle room and any changes have to be briefed up the acquisition oversight chain to the Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition (as well as to OSD AT&L if a ACAT 1D) so the contractor can't set their own IOC. They know better and should be echoing what is briefed to Congress. Congressional Staffers working for the 4 big Defense Committees/Subcommittees put the Program Office and Requirements Officer through a grueling cattle call every year (about to start for the FY08 Budget that was sent to the Hill last week) and these dates are subject to comparison with what was submitted last year along with costs, developmental issues and just about everything under the sun. That happens face-to-face away from the hill while the big dogs trudge over to the hill and make formal statements (about to start) to the committees (watch for it on CSPAN) and field questions. It's the staffers who actually mark up the programs (adding, deleting or leaving funds intact) for Committee and then Floor votes. PM me if you want the links, but suffice to say there are places to go to get the dates (updated annually in early Feb) that are what the PM signs his career away on in his inputs through OPNAV/DoN to Congress. "And that's all I have to say about that".

Heloanjin

pilot
Look at the SH-2 SeaSprite. The 60B was operational in 1983, and the H-2s were still flying into the late 90's. (I think the reserve unit may have made it into the 21st century, but I am too lazy to research that right now)

Don't use the SH-2F as an example of how far off IOCs are. The SH-60B was not a replacement for the H-2. In fact, in 1988 all expectations were for the Seasprite to remain in the fleet in force until 2005 or later. But then Lehman left and so did the 600 ship Navy. The H-2 died a quick death as all the non-RAST ships were decommed.

A better example is the helo helmet. In flight school I was told not to worry about my uncomfortable helo helmet. The new ones would be out before I got to the FRS. 12 years later they were finally issuing the new helmets.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What are the requirements to be a harrier pilot.

A whole lot of LIFE INSURANCE and a strong devotion to Scotch!! It all boils down to GRADES in flight school. If you get this far, your grades in Advanced and the needs of the Marine Corps will dictate your pipeline. Your worry about College grades will end once you receive your PLC (Air) contract. Just don't get stupid and go below a "C" average.

Semper Fly, Frumby

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The F-35B will be replacing them in the near future, and the USMC/RN are the first on the list to get them due to the age of the current fleet harriers.

I don't expect to see the F-35 begin to field until 2015.....maybe. By the way, the MV-22 received its first Research and Developement money in 1969. You'll probably be a Major before the F-35 comes on line. Frumby

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
I don't expect to see the F-35 begin to field until 2015.....maybe. By the way, the MV-22 received its first Research and Developement money in 1969. You'll probably be a Major before the F-35 comes on line. Frumby

from what Im hearing - He'll be a Major before we see the first MV-22 squadron deploy!!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
from what Im hearing - He'll be a Major before we see the first MV-22 squadron deploy!!

I don't know that they will want to hold 3 fully operational squadrons that long without deploying...you may have better sources then I do but based on the information we are getting the first deployment should happen sometime this year or latest next year.

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
I don't know that they will want to hold 3 fully operational squadrons that long without deploying...you may have better sources then I do but based on the information we are getting the first deployment should happen sometime this year or latest next year.

I know a guy in the RAG (been there for about 8 mos) hasnt touched the A/C yet. Im hearing from folks inthe program that it is WAY behind.....other snippets are that there are no spare parts in the system.

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
I know a guy in the RAG (been there for about 8 mos) hasnt touched the A/C yet. Im hearing from folks inthe program that it is WAY behind.....other snippets are that there are no spare parts in the system.

you are probably right though - with all the political bs that thing has been through already, It WILL deploy on time - even if just to make a point!

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

I know the RAG is way behind and I can see the spare parts issue...makes sense, guess we will see in the coming months...