• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phrogs Phorever

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The National Armed Forces Museum recently purchased and returned to airworthy condition a number of former Marine H-46E's. The aircraft are being operated under EXPERIMENTAL category airwortiness certificates. I don't know who was bribed at FAA, but more power to them! never heard of NUSAFM - but apparently a thing. Who is funding this?

Well chronicled on FB. Don't know who they found for pilots. This has to have been a massive expenditure - first to purchase and then to operate eben for the ferry flights back to Houston. Its amazing in my mind. While I loved flying the H-46, its a very unremarkable aircraft historically.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The National Armed Forces Museum recently purchased and returned to airworthy condition a number of former Marine H-46E's. The aircraft are being operated under EXPERIMENTAL category airwortiness certificates. I don't know who was bribed at FAA, but more power to them! never heard of NUSAFM - but apparently a thing. Who is funding this?

Well chronicled on FB. Don't know who they found for pilots. This has to have been a massive expenditure - first to purchase and then to operate eben for the ferry flights back to Houston. Its amazing in my mind. While I loved flying the H-46, its a very unremarkable aircraft historically.

At the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation we have done this for years. All are Experimental certificates. Flown with passengers under the FAA Living History Flight Experience exemption. Same exemption as the CAF, Collings and others who operate WW II warbirds. We have no problem finding Huey, LOACH and Cobra pilots. All army trained and formally qualed in the aircraft. Don't know about that outift, but we at AAHF don't charge a dime for training. Pilots are previously qualed. We give refresher and currency training gratis. You "pay" for it via sweat equity restoring aircraft, washing helos, sweeping the hangar, working at airshows and static displays, etc. Work enough and your time comes up. All you have to do is travel to the site. If it is HQ in Atlanta, you don't even need a hotel room, the AAHF has a "BOQ" bunk room in the hangar. Looks like SW Chapter is bringing on the line 2 new Huey pilots and 2 Cobra guys. They have been working maintenance issues on the flying aircraft and restoring a couple static display aircraft to earn their spot.

I'm telling ya Chuck, you gotta get some of that Frog while you can. Give them a call. As a CFI they just might need a guy like you.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here’s a video of Pedro in flight. Maybe you recognize some faces @ChuckMK23? I will say that both of the crew members in the back seem to be on the USMC large-body training program!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Oh, and don’t forget is still trying to auction off four more Phrogs…

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Oh, and don’t forget is still trying to auction off four more Phrogs…

This is a former Dept. of State bird and in amazing condition. Other than servicing of fluids, its probably ready to fly. I'm guessing reserve is in $500K range. At 150 gal/hour of JET A, not a cheap date to operate.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
This is a former Dept. of State bird and in amazing condition. Other than servicing of fluids, its probably ready to fly. I'm guessing reserve is in $500K range. At 150 gal/hour of JET A, not a cheap date to operate.
Come on @ChuckMK23, you’ve got to be a 12 Step 3 or 4 by now! Use that federal dollar for some fun.