• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phillips 63" plasma TV---$2,999

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....go pick up a nice DLP projector ...
Not a chance with a projector ... don't like 'em, don't want one. But thanks, anyway. I've got a 4 year old bullet-proof Panasonic plasma 42" that I am giving to #1 daughter and replacing with the aforementioned 48-50" Plasma or LCD.

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
And have to close my blinds all the way everytime I want to watch TV? No thanks. I do hear that DLP TVs w/ LEDs are supposed to be very nice, but they're just arriving, so I'm sure a bit more expensive. Also very thin.

You obviously haven't met the "Hawaiian Moving/Shipping/Wrecking Company" that moved me. I will give them this: They made everything fit in the containers. How they did that is irrelevant...at least to them.

You are right.. I just saw one the other day.. was about $3500... but extremely bright even in direct (best buy) lighting... which means you can probably find one online for about $2800

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hey, I said that they would survive Lance Corporals, not Hawaiians, brah.
You not talkin' about my Homies, is you Bruddah ... ???

3mokeski6.jpg

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... I decided on the Sharp Aquos 52D62U which is LCD. ... Big mistake, it has tint/saturation problems.

This is an update on my post in which I denigrated the Sharp 1080 line scan, LCD TV. Factory reps from Sharp came out, took one look at the TV, arranged for a replacement. Apparently bad sensor in the color saturation control circuitry.

Fantastic picture.

Sort of related: I am also impressed with the Verizon FIOS fiber optic video service, quality and programming. Now, will never get off of the couch.:eek::eek:

phrogpilot73

As far as ease of moving for plasmas, we take them to the field when we set up a full-on DASC. Granted, we have specialized cases to keep them relatively safe in the back of a 7-ton, but there have been 0 issues in the last few years that the MASS units have been using them.
Umm, yeah. We had those cases in the Battalion as well. Makes a Pelican look pussified. Something tells me the case would cost almost as much as the Plasma.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
One more time for me .... keep it really simple .... @ 48"-50" screen ..... the question:

LCD or Plasma ???

I may be talking a little out of my knowledge league, but with an LCD, when the screen goes out, it's usually just the back-light which can be replaced versus a plasma to which you are out of luck.

The real question is how often do the plasma screens go out for anything other than an image burn, I don't know.

snake020

Contributor
I still prefer CRT. I got a Sony XBR WEGA 34" 1080i... you can't even see the lines up close, and looks super for DVDs and PS3, and unlike the other digital sets, stuff in standard def looks fine. Weighs 200 lbs though, but I really have no reason to move my TV and when it's time to PCS that's what the movers are for.

I tried DLP and it looked super for movies, but was horrible for video games with the lag, and even though the rainbow effect is claimed to have been eliminated on the most modern DLPs, I still see it whenever I turn my head watching the set even on the latest and greatest at Best Buy. I've seen plasma burn in, and I'm still not convinced on the life and contrast of LCDs.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I still prefer CRT. .....

You must be a luddite!!:eek::eek:

CRT's are hard to beat. My 400 pound 37" still going strong after near 20 years. Never had a problem but, now, would have to go to the Smithsonian if I ever needed parts. Sony policy is to support a product for at least 10 years.

But I was forced to get a larger screen to keep up with Jones next door, so Plasma or LCD were the only choices. New 52" comes in at 70 lbs or so, 7' deep vs 27" for the CRT. Trade-offs. Agree DLP comments as well as JD's comments on Plasma vs LCD, as the jury is still out.

Amy C

NAS Jacksonville
You obviously haven't met the "Hawaiian Moving/Shipping/Wrecking Company" that moved me. I will give them this: They made everything fit in the containers. How they did that is irrelevant...at least to them.

They must be a sister company to the Jacksonville Moving/Shipping/wrecking company that had the pot smoking employees who haven't showered in weeks that came to move us to Pensacola. They may be better know as Atlas/Read's moving & storage...BEWARE of them!!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
One more time for me .... keep it really simple .... @ 48"-50" screen ..... the question:

LCD or Plasma ???
A4 …

Generally -
- Plasma black levels and contrast are currently superior to LCDs … higher end LCDs (Sony XBR2’s & 3’s) black levels & contrast are comparable to low to middle of the road plasmas.
- Plasmas look better in low light rooms and have trouble with glare in bright rooms … LCDs doesn’t have this problem.
- Plasmas cost less than LCDs of the same size … LCD prices are coming down.
- Plasmas have a higher power consumption than LCDs.
- Plasmas weigh more than LCDs of the same size.
- Plasmas have a near instantaneous response time meaning you shouldn’t see any blurring during fast moving pictures such as sports or video games … higher end LCDs have a fast response times.
- Plasmas have the possibility of image burn in (this goes down with a proper “breaking in”) … LCDs doesn’t suffer from image burn in.
- LCDs, especially lower end models, suffer from “clouding” (Non-uniformity of the display, most noticable on a black screen, in low lighting, caused by non-uniform pressure of the cell gap of the LCD display) ... both technologies are expensive to fix, smart to get an extended warrenty.
- Standard definition TV looks better on plasmas, though Direct TV & Dish TV compresses their video to the point where most of the channels, especially local channels, look like shit on any TV.
- LCDs have higher resolutions than plasmas of the same size … plasmas are now hitting the streets at 1080p (about $1000 more than their 720p variants).

again .. generally speaking.

Best 50” plasmas on the market right now are the Panasonic. Samsung is in the running also, and you can’t go wrong with any Pioneer Plasma but they are pricey. Best LCD is Sony Bravia XBR2’s or XBR3’s. Both are pricey. I’ve read good things about Samsung, Phillips, and Sharp LCD’s, and they are all reasonably priced.

S/F

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Good stuff, many thanks all and particularly Jarhead for taking the time & trouble to compile the above ... looks like the finalists are Panasonic Plasma or Sony LCD ... which, coincidentally, is what I'd come up with on my own "taste, touch & smell" research. :)

You've confirmed it.

Most models I've seen in the size I'm looking for seem to be @ $2400 - $2700.

Thanks again.