• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Phd degrees

Logico

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting their Phd while in the Navy? Will the navy ever pay ones way through their Phd? Any info along these lines would be great.

PS: Please don't start bantering me with "why are you worried about that", "why would you want a Phd", etc. It has always been a life-long goal of mine and I'm just throwing it out there.

Thanks

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Of course you can get a Phd while in the Navy. Navy PG School at Monterey offers Doctorates, both Academic and Professional. The Chair of MIT's Ocean Engineering school is an active duty O6, as I recall, and is but on example of cooperation between the DoD and institutions of higher education. I personally knew several Naval Officers who obtained their Doctorate while on active duty.

The opportunities are there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Logico said:
Has anyone ever heard of someone getting their Phd while in the Navy? Will the navy ever pay ones way through their Phd? Any info along these lines would be great.

PS: Please don't start bantering me with "why are you worried about that", "why would you want a Phd", etc. It has always been a life-long goal of mine and I'm just throwing it out there.

Thanks
You just want people to have to call you "Doctor Logico." ;)

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There is also the Permanent Military Professor program where the Navy sends you to get a PhD and then you stay active duty until statutory retirement teaching at NPS, USNA, and NWC (I think).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
There is also the Permanent Military Professor program where the Navy sends you to get a PhD and then you stay active duty until statutory retirement teaching at NPS, USNA, and NWC (I think).

Ture that, have several friends at USNA and JFSC on this program. My advice....just don't play your cards too early; whether it be PhD, astronaut, test pilot...some COs will just use you as pack players then because their job is to nuture their JOs to be COs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Ture that, have several friends at USNA and JFSC on this program. My advice....just don't play your cards too early; whether it be PhD, astronaut, test pilot...some COs will just use you as pack players then because their job is to nuture their JOs to be COs.
So true. Seen many a JO get screwed out of a competitive FITREP by showing his hand early.

Brett

Logico

Brett327 said:
So true. Seen many a JO get screwed out of a competitive FITREP by showing his hand early.

Brett

Sorry guys...what are you talking about? Clue me in please. Do you mean a JO shows interest in the program and then is given the shaft for promotions because people see you as no longer on the traditional career path?

Logico

HH-60H said:

I did a Google search on this program but cannot seem to find any single source of info about who is eligible, when in ones career it is awarded, etc. Anyone have any info about this?

Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Logico said:
Sorry guys...what are you talking about? Clue me in please. Do you mean a JO shows interest in the program and then is given the shaft for promotions because people see you as no longer on the traditional career path?
Yeah, kind of. COs are limited in the number of really competitive FITREPs they can give out. So, let's say a squadron has 4 really hard charging LTs who are competing for 2 or 3 EP FITREPs. Let's also say that out of those 4 LTs, one is by far the most outstanding and is in line to get ranked #1. Now, if that #1 LT tells his CO that he wants to get orders which would be career killers, or says that he intends to get out after his commitment is up, then that CO may (rightfully in my opinion) bump him down to the bottom of the list to give those who still show potential for continued upward mobility the chance to get those EP FITREPs. The moral of the story is that if you think you might want to get out, best keep that to yourself because you could change your mind and telling your CO could screw your chances down the line.

Caveat for Logico: If you are at a squadron as an Intel guy, you are not ranked with the aviators because of your designator. You will always be ranked 1 of 1, so this is a less complicated equation for you. The fundamental idea is the same though. Hold your cards/intentions until you need to reveal them.

Brett

Cornellianintel

Brett327 said:
Yeah, kind of. COs are limited in the number of really competitive FITREPs they can give out. So, let's say a squadron has 4 really hard charging LTs who are competing for 2 or 3 EP FITREPs. Let's also say that out of those 4 LTs, one is by far the most outstanding and is in line to get ranked #1. Now, if that #1 LT tells his CO that he wants to get orders which would be career killers, or says that he intends to get out after his commitment is up, then that CO may (rightfully in my opinion) bump him down to the bottom of the list to give those who still show potential for continued upward mobility the chance to get those EP FITREPs. The moral of the story is that if you think you might want to get out, best keep that to yourself because you could change your mind and telling your CO could screw your chances down the line.

Caveat for Logico: If you are at a squadron as an Intel guy, you are not ranked with the aviators because of your designator. You will always be ranked 1 of 1, so this is a less complicated equation for you. The fundamental idea is the same though. Hold your cards/intentions until you need to reveal them.
Brett

Great advice in general!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
To follow on with what Brett327 said....be cautious about being 1 of 1. Dunno what your promotion boards are like, but, many groups/boards do not like to see 1 of 1 for very long. Might be wise, assuming you have input into your FITREPS, to use words which indicate you would have been ranked X of XX....had the ranker been able to do so.

To answer the question about the PhD while in the Navy...there are some opportunities for FTOST (full time out service training) within certain specialties. I know of two guys in our program who have. As a JO I would not sweat this for a couple-three tours. As Brett said...don't wanna show your hand early.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Logico said:
I did a Google search on this program but cannot seem to find any single source of info about who is eligible, when in ones career it is awarded, etc. Anyone have any info about this?

Thanks

Only O-5 selects (I think) and O-5/6s with a Masters are eligible.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
feddoc said:
To follow on with what Brett327 said....be cautious about being 1 of 1. Dunno what your promotion boards are like, but, many groups/boards do not like to see 1 of 1 for very long. Might be wise, assuming you have input into your FITREPS, to use words which indicate you would have been ranked X of XX....had the ranker been able to do so.

This isn't a factor for 1630s like it is for other designators, since it's expected that your squadron tour would be a 1-of-1. Also, since your squadron tour is inevitably as an O-1/O-2, it really doesn't matter promotion-wise. What the Intel folks like to see is a breakout when you're on your shore tour and mixed in with a number of your peers. One of the perverse ways you can hurt yourself is to seek out more sea tours and end up as 1-of-1 too often - god forbid an intel officer would actually like to get out with the fleet now and again!